Author Topic: Friday Aug 19-it's a classic from 1972!!  (Read 11159 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Friday Aug 19-it's a classic from 1972!!
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2005, 11:05:19 AM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
Quote from: "RGMike"

But is your misspelling of Vandross as Van Dross a comment on the quality of Luther's music? :wink:

ha! i didn't even register it as "vandross." i thought he was referencing some underground new wave rocker.

Camper Van Dross -- they were all the rage in the '80s....
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gaz at da Voice

« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2005, 11:12:11 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
Quote from: "urth"
Mark are you doing this or am I?

And it starts with the all-time '72 Katrina, All the Young Dudes. Great tune nonetheless.

I was in my car until now.

Trivia Question:  What do Mott the Hoople, Luther van Dross, Iggy Pop & Stevie Ray Vaughan have in common?

Beuller?  Anybody?

they have Bowie in common.

But is your misspelling of Vandross as Van Dross a comment on the quality of Luther's music? :wink:

More specifically, their careers were to some degree launched by working with Bowie.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2005, 11:20:13 AM »
Quote from: "Gaz at da Voice"
Mark are you doing this or am I?

And it starts with the all-time '72 Katrina, All the Young Dudes. Great tune nonetheless.

I was in my car until now.

Trivia Question:  What do Mott the Hoople, Luther van Dross, Iggy Pop & Stevie Ray Vaughan have in common?

Beuller?  Anybody?

they have Bowie in common.

More specifically, their careers were to some degree launched by working with Bowie.

Stop being a smarty-pants music geek and get back to work, young man!  :wink:

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: sf explosion
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2005, 12:00:39 PM »
Quote from: "ggould"
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
Hey, there was an explosion at Post & Kearny about 15 minutes ago:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/baycitynews/archive/2005/08/19/explosion19.DTL
the page won't load........
try this:

http://cbs5.com/topstories/local_story_231131708.html

the story (SFGate is back up again) mentions that folks saw lights flicker around 9:50 -- I did too and I'm at Mission & Beale.  Seems like it was a transformer explosion.

Anonymous

« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2005, 03:24:14 PM »
Seems like it was a transformer explosion.

You mean, like Lou Reed having a hit?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2005, 09:17:10 PM »
Quote from: "Anonymous"
Seems like it was a transformer explosion.

You mean, like Lou Reed having a hit?

LOL!

This being SF, we're lucky it wasn't a transgender explosion :wink:

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Friday Aug 19-it's a classic from 1972!!
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2005, 10:15:46 PM »
Tuned in for the rerun.  Easy BOS to the mighty Raspberries, "Don't Wanna Say Goodbye."  What a grand piece of songwriting.  How did that not become a hit?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2005, 12:07:48 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Tuned in for the rerun.  Easy BOS to the mighty Raspberries, "Don't Wanna Say Goodbye."  What a grand piece of songwriting.  How did that not become a hit?

I agree, but as it was their first chart single, and they were unknown, I guess Capitol gave up on it too quickly -- it only spent 2 weeks in Billboard, peaking at #86.  They immediately followed-up with "Go All the Way". Of course they only had 4 Top 40 singles, and "Let's Pretend" (a personal fave) only reached #35. And "Tonight" -- good god, how did that one fail?

Listening to the replay, I recognized this set, with its climax of Dave chuckling over "Jungle Fever"; it's been rerun more than once IIRC.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2005, 03:48:36 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"

I agree, but as it was their first chart single, and they were unknown, I guess Capitol gave up on it too quickly -- it only spent 2 weeks in Billboard, peaking at #86.  They immediately followed-up with "Go All the Way". Of course they only had 4 Top 40 singles, and "Let's Pretend" (a personal fave) only reached #35. And "Tonight" -- good god, how did that one fail?

Listening to the replay, I recognized this set, with its climax of Dave chuckling over "Jungle Fever"; it's been rerun more than once IIRC.

Leading off with the ballad?  What a bizarre tactic.  Capitol clearly dropped the ball there.  (Is it obvious that I'd relish a role in A&R and artist development?)

Funny that you mentioned his "Jungle Fever" giggling, I was noting that last night as well.  Did people actually have sex to the Chakachas?  (P.S. Dave, please add "Je t'aime ... moi non plus" to a '69 setlist, k thx bye)
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”