Author Topic: 9 May 2011: It's...a year o' Mystery! (1979)  (Read 9480 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: 9 May 2011: It's...a year o' Mystery!
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2011, 10:43:33 AM »
dance away the 'trina-ache.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2011, 10:48:15 AM »
Holee CRAP!!

BOSFRA, New England "Don't Ever Wanna Lose Ya".  Definitely haven't heard this one since '79.

I'll BOS this foreshadowing of so many arena rock 80s hair band power ballads to come.

That's a pretty good evaluation.  They were in Bill Aucoin's stable of Kiss-wannabee's (anyone remember Piper?).  Iirc, Paul Stanley even produced this.

Piper sounds familiar.  ...and since RGM is so hot on them, perhaps a good write in vote candidate for next time.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2011, 10:51:40 AM »
Holee CRAP!!

BOSFRA, New England "Don't Ever Wanna Lose Ya".  Definitely haven't heard this one since '79.

I'll BOS this foreshadowing of so many arena rock 80s hair band power ballads to come.

That's a pretty good evaluation.  They were in Bill Aucoin's stable of Kiss-wannabee's (anyone remember Piper?).  Iirc, Paul Stanley even produced this.

Piper sounds familiar.  ...and since RGM is so hot on them, perhaps a good write in vote candidate for next time.

I'm having a hard time figuring out what years those 2 songs are from, however. AMG says the first Piper LP was '76. Can that be right? Seems to me they were a year or 2 later. Will check Whitburn tonite (assuming those albums charted).

here's "Boyfriend":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV4bRPHUqXo

and the even better "Can't Wait":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW5P_FZwXlE&feature=related

« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 10:55:52 AM by RGMike »

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2011, 11:41:35 AM »

Rickie Lee's down at the Pantages. and LRB are, like, Losers, dude!

How many cities have venues called the Pantages?  I know L.A. & Seattle both do.

it was a popular movie theater name back when those old palaces were being built.

I think "Pantages" was a chain of theaters, like Paramount or Fox, both represented liberally up and down the west coast.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2011, 11:49:15 AM »
[I think "Pantages" was a chain of theaters, like Paramount or Fox, both represented liberally up and down the west coast.

you are correct, sir!  Alexander Pantages was the name of the vaudeville impresario who had a bunch of theaters.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: 9 May 2011: It's...a year o' Mystery! (1979)
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2011, 01:25:24 PM »
 5/9/11- Monday--Mystery year! (1979)
 1.  Sniff 'n' the Tears - Driver's Seat
 2.  Rickie Lee Jones - Chuck E's In Love
(Ad: Wisk-ring around the collar)
 3.  Little River Band- Lonesome Loser
 4.  Dave Edmunds - Queen of Hearts
 5.  Nick Lowe - Cruel To Be Kind
(News: Middle East Peace Plan & other news)
 6.  Elvis Costello - Green Shirt
 7.  Bram Tchaikovsky - Girl of My Dreams
(Movie: The Jerk)
 8.  New England - Don't Ever Wanna Lose Ya
(Ad: ABC-TV Thursday night lineup)
 9.  Michael Jackson - Don't Stop Till You Get Enough (B.O.S!!)
10. Roxy Music - Dance Away

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2011, 08:59:29 PM »
..but not a real green shirt, that's cruel!

Bwahahaha!  That was more entertaining than anything we've heard so far.

BOS3 Bram T. despite being a frequent flier -- if she follows this with one of the other 12-string-revival songs (Records, Shoes, Searchers) I'll be thrilled.
I'm not sure if it's this song, or maybe the Records, but I remember a radio interview back in the day where the subject of the 12-string sound was brought up, and the artist said it wasn't a 12-string, but two 6-string guitars slightly out of tune.  Well before the internet era, so does anyone else remember what I'm talking about?
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2011, 07:36:36 AM »
..but not a real green shirt, that's cruel!

Bwahahaha!  That was more entertaining than anything we've heard so far.

BOS3 Bram T. despite being a frequent flier -- if she follows this with one of the other 12-string-revival songs (Records, Shoes, Searchers) I'll be thrilled.
I'm not sure if it's this song, or maybe the Records, but I remember a radio interview back in the day where the subject of the 12-string sound was brought up, and the artist said it wasn't a 12-string, but two 6-string guitars slightly out of tune.  Well before the internet era, so does anyone else remember what I'm talking about?

news to me, but entirely possible.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2011, 11:44:22 AM »

I think (could be wrong) that this is the long version of Michael Oldfield's "Tubular Bells" you're talking about.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: 9 May 2011: It's...a year o' Mystery! (1979)
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2011, 09:05:23 PM »

I'm not sure if it's this song, or maybe the Records, but I remember a radio interview back in the day where the subject of the 12-string sound was brought up, and the artist said it wasn't a 12-string, but two 6-string guitars slightly out of tune.  Well before the internet era, so does anyone else remember what I'm talking about?

I think (could be wrong) that this is the long version of Michael Oldfield's "Tubular Bells" you're talking about.
no, definitely not.  I know I'm old, but I have a memory for things like that.  I've let it slide as to which of the two songs it was, but it was definitely one of those two.  I can still see myself in my old Menlo Park shop listening to the radio (KSAN I guess) at the time.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!