Author Topic: 11 April 2007-it's The San Francisco Sound vol. 3  (Read 9613 times)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
list
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2007, 09:13:19 PM »
I'll never complain about hearing White Rabbit too much, and to hear 8, 9, 10 would be loverly.  Wish I knew the Sons song.  Such and odd selection from Dave.

04/11/2007 - Wednesday! Today it's the San Francisco Sound, Volume 3!!

1.   Huey Lewis & the News - Heart of Rock & Roll      
2.   Doobies - Livin' on the Faultline      
3.   Sons of Champlin - Sing Me a Rainbow      
4.   Eddie Money - Two Tickets to Paradise      
5.   Faith No More - Epic      
6.   Jefferson Airplane - White Rabbit (BEST OF SET!!)   
7.   Tommy Tutone - 867-5309 (Jenny)      
8.   Vince Guaraldi - Cast Your Fate to the Wind      
9.   It's a Beautiful Day - White Bird      
10.   The Mojo Men - Sit Down I Think I Love You      

BONUS TRACK:  The Motels - Only the Lonely
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
11 April 2007-it's The San Francisco Sound vol. 3
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2007, 10:36:10 PM »
Quote from: "urth"
The Motels are even less of a Bay area band than Jim Carroll--they're from LA!

OK, per AMG:

Davis formed the group in 1972 while living in Berkeley, CA, recruiting guitarist Dean Chamberlain and bassist Richard D'Andrea; originally dubbed the Warfield Foxes, they became the Motels upon relocating to L.A., but despite interest from a number of record labels the group suffered through endless lineup changes, finally disbanding in 1976. Davis soon formed a new Motels roster with guitarist Jeff Jourard, his saxophonist/keyboardist brother Marty, bassist Michael Goodroe, and drummer Brian Glascock...

Although it was just the bonus track, this is an even further stretch than Jim Carroll.

Also, the Sons of Champlin tune was a 1967 single that was came out on Verve, several years before the Capitol releases they're better known for.
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
SOC
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2007, 11:05:58 PM »
Also, the Sons of Champlin tune was a 1967 single that was came out on Verve, several years before the Capitol releases they're better known for.

Was it a good tune?  Did anyone who is familiar with the Sons hear this?    You have to admit this seems to be a deeper archival piece than almost anything I can remember on KFOG.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: SOC
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2007, 11:45:38 PM »
Quote from: "ggould"

Was it a good tune?  Did anyone who is familiar with the Sons hear this?    You have to admit this seems to be a deeper archival piece than almost anything I can remember on KFOG.

Yes, it was good, but it didn't sound like anything close to the sound they had later on. It was pretty poppy, actually. I think you're probably the one most familiar with the Sons around here--Mike, how much background do you have with them? I remember a little bit, but mostly post-Capitol.
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: SOC
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2007, 07:13:34 AM »
Quote from: "ggould"
Yes, it was good, but it didn't sound like anything close to the sound they had later on. It was pretty poppy, actually. I think you're probably the one most familiar with the Sons around here--Mike, how much background do you have with them? I remember a little bit, but mostly post-Capitol.

The big hits for me (Get High, Freedom) from the first album are real long, which is why perhaps they weren't played.