Author Topic: 14 Feb 2007: Valentine's -- "Love Stinks!"  (Read 7495 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
14 Feb 2007: Valentine's -- "Love Stinks!"
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2007, 10:21:29 PM »
Y'know, not having heard it in a year or two, I'm reminded why I loved "You Oughta Know" as much as I did in the summer of '95.  It hit just as I was finishing college and moving to Boston for the first time.  Really is some fine songwriting.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2007, 10:30:33 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Y'know, not having heard it in a year or two, I'm reminded why I loved "You Oughta Know" as much as I did in the summer of '95.  It hit just as I was finishing college and moving to Boston for the first time.  Really is some fine songwriting.

It's funny too that KFOG plays about 3 other songs from that album in regular World Class Rock rotation, but seldom this one, even though this is the one that broke the album big.

This is about the point in the Carly Simon tune this morning where I got a phone call from my boss & missed the rest of the set.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2007, 10:31:21 PM »
02/14/2007 - Wednesday! Today is Valentine's Day...An Oppposing Viewpoint!

1.  J. Geils Band - Love Stinks  
2.  Meatloaf - Paradise By the Dashboard Light (BEST OF SET!!)  
3.  Alanis Morissette - You Oughta Know  
4.  Nilsson - You're Breaking My Heart  
5.  Rolling Stones - It's All Over Now  
6.  Carly Simon - That's the Way I Always Heard it Should Be  
7.  Paul Simon - 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover  
8.  Ben Folds 5 - Song for the Dumped  
9.  Nazareth - Love Hurts  
10.  Eagles - Already Gone  

BONUS TRACK:  Joe Jackson - Happy Loving Couples
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2007, 07:46:08 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
Quote from: "Gazoo"

It's funny too that KFOG plays about 3 other songs from that album in regular World Class Rock rotation, but seldom this one, even though this is the one that broke the album big.

I would argue that it's the album's most polarizing love-it-or-hate-it song; I find it more annoying and strident than anything els, and I'd stop short of calling it "fine songwrirting".  I still say she (on that CD, anyway) was a producer's creation rather than an artist.  And don't get me started on "Ironic" again :wink:
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2007, 10:45:09 AM »
Quote from: "urth"
BOS2, the rarely heard Carly Simon and "That's The Way I Always Heard It Should Be."

Meant to mention this the other day: I've always loved this song, yet there's something odd, even creepy in the lyric. The narrator has friends from college who are all married and have kids who are old enough to "hate them for the things they're not"... yet she's still living with her parents?  Why then is she viewing a marriage proposal as some sort of freedom-denying trap? Get the hell outta that house, babe.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round