Author Topic: 7 August 2006--it's...1987  (Read 8580 times)

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
7 August 2006--it's...1987
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2006, 04:56:04 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Quote from: "SFGuy"
I love 80s music (loved the Casey Kasem American Top 40 shows XM played over the weekend on it's 80's channel, they also did the 70's channel with the top 40 show) but this one was pretty boring.

WOS goes to George Michael. He makes me want to scream in pain. If KFOG ever played Michael Bolton (unless it's on the Hits from Hell show), I may just destroy every radio in my house.

You know, I think 10@10 has missed Bolton entirely, even HFH.  Mark, can you confirm?  I find most of his stuff dreadful though I wouldn't mind hearing his cover of "To Love Somebody" or even "Said I Loved You ... But I Lied."  But now that you've brought him up, next time there's a Friday the 13th, I'm gonna nominate "Can I Touch You ... There?"

Revoltin' Bolton is thankfully missing from my archives, and I share SF Guy's sentiments/loathing.  The last two times I caught a matinee at the nearest theater to my office I could hear stuff from his album of Sinatra covers being piped out to the parking lot.  Yuck!!!!

i think he has a wonderful voice. i love his cover of "rocky mountain way." and i'd vote for "can i touch you...there," too. but the best, the ULTIMATE would be to hear a recorded version of his performance with patti labelle at some awards show years ago...they did an hommage to marvin and tammy. it was outta sight!

ETA: i found the video.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
the Bolton issue
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2006, 08:46:48 AM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
I love 80s music (loved the Casey Kasem American Top 40 shows XM played over the weekend on it's 80's channel, they also did the 70's channel with the top 40 show) but this one was pretty boring.

WOS goes to George Michael. He makes me want to scream in pain. If KFOG ever played Michael Bolton (unless it's on the Hits from Hell show), I may just destroy every radio in my house.
You know, I think 10@10 has missed Bolton entirely, even HFH.  Mark, can you confirm?  I find most of his stuff dreadful though I wouldn't mind hearing his cover of "To Love Somebody" or even "Said I Loved You ... But I Lied."  But now that you've brought him up, next time there's a Friday the 13th, I'm gonna nominate "Can I Touch You ... There?"
Revoltin' Bolton is thankfully missing from my archives, and I share SF Guy's sentiments/loathing.  The last two times I caught a matinee at the nearest theater to my office I could hear stuff from his album of Sinatra covers being piped out to the parking lot.  Yuck!!!!
i think he has a wonderful voice. i love his cover of "rocky mountain way." and i'd vote for "can i touch you...there," too. but the best, the ULTIMATE would be to hear a recorded version of his performance with patti labelle at some awards show years ago...they did an hommage to marvin and tammy. it was outta sight!

this video does indeed show how good his pipes are, but there is an uneasy stage presence between these two mega egos.  Yes, there is some face-to-face time, as there should be in this song, but lots of backing off of that to individual attempts to impress the audience with their solo talents.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: the Bolton issue
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2006, 02:52:09 PM »
Quote from: "ggould"

this video does indeed show how good his pipes are, but there is an uneasy stage presence between these two mega egos.  Yes, there is some face-to-face time, as there should be in this song, but lots of backing off of that to individual attempts to impress the audience with their solo talents.

i think he was intimidated by patti, so maybe she was alternatively encouraging him to go for it, and not to step on her toes.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2006, 06:54:39 PM »
i think he was intimidated by patti, so maybe she was alternatively encouraging him to go for it, and not to step on her toes.

I can understand that.  I'm intimidated by All-Beef Patti.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2006, 08:51:30 PM »

I can understand that.  I'm intimidated by All-Beef Patti.

That's why "On My Own" worked so well: All-Beef Patti and Mickey (Mc)D!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: provisional BOS
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2006, 08:01:33 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
might have to take a Mulligan, but we'll see.

if we all fall down in ashes, we'll end up with a touch of grey.

"Black goes south and white comes north" -- Any authoritative statement on whether this line refers to race trends in migration, or the Colombian drug trade, or something else entirely?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: provisional BOS
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2006, 09:45:47 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
might have to take a Mulligan, but we'll see.
if we all fall down in ashes, we'll end up with a touch of grey.
"Black goes south and white comes north" -- Any authoritative statement on whether this line refers to race trends in migration, or the Colombian drug trade, or something else entirely?

According to the scholarly Annotated GD Songs website at http://arts.ucsc.edu/gdead/agdl/throwing.html  
Code: [Select]
"Shipping powders back and forth..."

In Conversations with the Dead, David Gans reveals that he wrote these lines about cocaine and gunpowder.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!