Author Topic: 17 July 2006--it's 1969!!!  (Read 12667 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
17 July 2006--it's 1969!!!
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2006, 12:32:08 PM »
Quote from: "mshray"
fwiw, the KINK is playing 1993 today.  No contest.

indeed, and here's their list:

Cracker : Low
Lenny Kravitz : Believe
Counting Crows : Rain King
John Hiatt : Buffalo River Home  
Freddy Jones Band : In A Daydream
Big Head Todd & The Monsters : Broken Hearted Savior
Sting : Fields Of Gold
10,000 Maniacs : Because The Night
Pearl Jam : Elderly Woman Behind The Counter...  
Bruce Springsteen : Streets Of Philadelphia  

Very Moreyesque; most of these songs were KFOG playlist staples in '93(except for Cracker and Pearl Jam)

BTW, the KFOG list ain't posted; the web intern musta gone home sick too :wink:
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2006, 12:38:00 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Quote from: "Davefish"
Quote from: "urth"
OK, this one is a stumper but it has Buddah written all over it: I'm Gonna Make You Mine? Mike, please give us the 411.

It's "Lou Christie", ain't it?

I don't think he was on Buddha, but I don't have Whitburn handy. It was a big comeback for him at the time.  iirc, he was Lesley Gore's "beard" for a while.

Actually, he was; and this song appears on the Buddah (their spelling) box set, which I'll never pass up a chance to highly recommend.  Where else can you hear that, Gun Hill Road's "Back When My Hair Was Short," the Shadows of Knight's "Shake," tracks from Superfly, latter-day Pips hits, Norman Connors' "You Are My Starship," AND the debut from the Fat Boys, "Fat Boys," when they were still billed as Disco 3?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2006, 04:43:53 PM »
7/17/2006 - Monday! A great time in...1969!!!

1.  Creedence Clearwater Revival - Fortunate Son  
2.  Sly and The Family Stone - Stand  
3.  Spirit - I Got A Line On You  
4.  The Beatles - You Never Give Me Your Money (BEST OF SET!!)  
5.  The Moody Blues - Dear Diary  
6.  Zombies - Time of the Season  
7.  Jeff Beck - Plynth  
8.  Harry Nilsson - I Guess the Lord Must Be in New York City    
9.  Jr. Walker & The Allstars - What Does It Take?  
10.  Lou Christie - I'm Gonna Make You Mine  

BONUS TRACK:  Crosby Stills Nash & Young - 49 Bye-byes

I'm off to Seattle for a 48 hr business trip, see y'all on Thursday.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2006, 07:50:57 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
OK, this one is a stumper but it has Buddah written all over it: I'm Gonna Make You Mine? Mike, please give us the 411.

I don't think he was on Buddha, but I don't have Whitburn handy. It was a big comeback for him at the time.  iirc, he was Lesley Gore's "beard" for a while.

Actually, he was; and this song appears on the Buddah (their spelling) box set

Wow, news to me. He wasn't there long (just for "...Make You Mine" and its flop follow-up "Are You Getting Any Sunshine?").  His early hits were on Roulette and his '66 chart-topper "Lighting Strikes" as well as the controversial "Rhapsody in the Rain" were on MGM.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2006, 08:27:51 PM »

Actually, he was; and this song appears on the Buddah (their spelling) box set

Wow, news to me. He wasn't there long (just for "...Make You Mine" and its flop follow-up "Are You Getting Any Sunshine?").  His early hits were on Roulette and his '66 chart-topper "Lighting Strikes" as well as the controversial "Rhapsody in the Rain" were on MGM.

Hope no one minds that I plug my own stuff; here's what I had to say about the Buddah Box at AMG: (and I'll burn a copy of the set for anyone who wants one; email me offlist if so)

This remarkable three-CD box set recaps the biggest hits spawned by the Buddah record label and its distributed labels (Kama Sutra, Team, Pavilion, Hot Wax, Sussex, and Curtom). While the Buddah label was best known for its role in the 1967-1970 bubblegum genre and for giving rise to one surprise hit after another, it also was responsible for more substantive work from such acts as Curtis Mayfield, Gladys Knight & the Pips, early Captain Beefheart, and Charlie Daniels. The latter two are unfortunately not represented in this collection; even so, the sheer breadth of material covered here is astonishing. Unlike better-known labels of the period like Motown, Stax, and Philles, there is no unifying sonic trait in the artists under the Buddah umbrella. Consequently, listening to the entire collection in one sitting is a schizophrenic endeavor in its bouncing from bubblegum (1910 Fruitgum Company, Ohio Express, et al.) to Jesus-freakdom (Ocean's "Put Your Hand in the Hand," the Edwin Hawkins Singers' "Oh Happy Day") to '70s soul balladry (the elegant "Dream Merchant" from New Birth and "You Are My Starship" by Norman Connors) to disco oddities (Andrea True Connection's "More, More, More," the bizarre "Wide Receiver" by Michael Henderson). Despite the stylistic inconsistency, The Buddah Box is a worthwhile investment for music collectors, as its liner notes tell a fascinating story of the label's evolution, and there are a number of hard to find gems represented. It might have benefited from a few more obscurities -- the collection sticks to Top 40 hits wherever it can -- but it makes a good argument that the story of a trash-singles label can be just as interesting, and the tunes nearly as compelling, as that of the more respected labels of the '60s and '70s.

Do You Believe in Magic? - Lovin' Spoonful
Daydream - Lovin' Spoonful
Summer in the City - Lovin' Spoonful
There's Got to Be a Word! - Innocense
Hello, Hello - Sopwith Camel
Green Tambourine - Lemon Pipers, The
Simon Says - 1910 Fruitgum Company
Yummy, Yummy, Yummy - Ohio Express
1, 2, 3, Red Light - 1910 Fruitgum Company
Shake - Shadows of Knight
Quick Joey Small (Run Joey Run) - Kasenetz-Katz Singing Orchestral Circus
Chewy, Chewy - Ohio Express
The Worst That Could Happen - Brooklyn Bridge
Oh Happy Day - Edwin Hawkins Singers
I'm Gonna Make You Mine - Lou Christie
Moonflight - Vik Venus
When I Die - Motherlode
The Rapper - The Jaggerz
O-o-h Child - Stairsteps
Candles in the Rain - Melanie w/ Edwin Hawkins Singers
Somebody's Been Sleeping in My Bed - One Hundred Proof (Aged in Soul)
One Toke over the Line - Brewer & Shipley
Put Your Hand in the Hand - Ocean
AWant Ads - Honey Cone
Ain't No Sunshine - Bill Withers
City of New Orleans - Steve Goodman
Lean on Me - Bill Withers
Freddie's Dead - Curtis Mayfield
Superfly - Curtis Mayfield
Back When My Hair Was Short - Gunhill Road
Brother Louie - Stories
Midnight Train to Georgia - Gladys Knight & the Pips
The Best Thing That Ever Happened to Me - Gladys Knight & the Pips
The Need to Be - Jim Weatherly
From His Woman to You - Barbara Mason
(Just Like) Romeo and Juliet - Sha Na Na
Dream Merchant - New Birth
Everybody Stand up and Clap Your Hands - Fred Parris and Black Satin
Let's Do It Again - Staple Singers
Hold Back the Night - The Trammps
More, More, More, Pt. 1 - Andrea True Connection
You Are My Starship - Norman Connors
Slow Dancin' Don't Turn Me On - Addrisi Brothers
Wide Receiver - Michael Henderson
Fat Boys - Disco 3
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
old versions
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2006, 09:08:03 PM »

recently  I've encountered old songs I've been looking for, on iTunes, or on other people's CD's, where the song appears to  be some sort of alternate version from what I remember as the 'original.'  I bought "Oh Happy Day" on iTunes, but I swear it doesn't sound exactly the way I remember it.  A friend sent me some Ventures MP3's recently, but they sound 'off' to me.  Anyone know what I'm raving about?
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: old versions
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2006, 07:13:25 AM »
Quote from: "ggould"

recently  I've encountered old songs I've been looking for, on iTunes, or on other people's CD's, where the song appears to  be some sort of alternate version from what I remember as the 'original.'  I bought "Oh Happy Day" on iTunes, but I swear it doesn't sound exactly the way I remember it.  A friend sent me some Ventures MP3's recently, but they sound 'off' to me.  Anyone know what I'm raving about?

ayup. i´ve been having the same problem over the past few years. the downloaded tunes aren´t the same versions i remember from vinyl. but i can´t find anything online that acknowledges the difference. i call it the "you are the sunshine of my life" phenomenon (there are two radio versions of that song - one with trumpets, and one without).

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2006, 07:36:40 AM »
the bizarre "Wide Receiver" by Michael Henderson

uh, is that about what I think it's about? :wink:

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2006, 08:02:34 AM »

It actually is.  I'm floored that it was a huge R&B hit.  And yes, he asks if anyone is interested in a tight end.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2006, 08:05:56 AM »

It actually is.  I'm floored that it was a huge R&B hit.  And yes, he asks if anyone is interested in a tight end.

:shock:  :shock:  :shock:

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2006, 08:08:11 AM »

It might be -- though I hope it isn't -- one of those cases where a pseudo-band featuring maybe one original member has gone back into the studio to re-record songs as a quick cash-in.  The re-recording has something to do with copyrights on the original sound recording expiring or not being able to license the originals, I'm not sure which (but this is why you sometimes see bands re-record their own songs, as Squeeze did with "Tempted" some years ago for a comp).  I often see bargain-basement compilations with the disclaimer in small print, "These songs all feature at least one member of the original band," or such.  I accidentally bought such a comp of Badfinger songs last year; they sounded HORRIBLE.  Anyway, my guess is that whoever is performing as the Edwin Hawkins Singers these days doesn't own the copyright of the original recording but they own the copyright to the underlying song, so they re-recorded it for the purposes of selling it on iTunes and such.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2006, 08:32:16 AM »

It might be -- though I hope it isn't -- one of those cases where a pseudo-band featuring maybe one original member has gone back into the studio to re-record songs as a quick cash-in.  The re-recording has something to do with copyrights on the original sound recording expiring or not being able to license the originals, I'm not sure which (but this is why you sometimes see bands re-record their own songs, as Squeeze did with "Tempted" some years ago for a comp).  I often see bargain-basement compilations with the disclaimer in small print, "These songs all feature at least one member of the original band," or such.  I accidentally bought such a comp of Badfinger songs last year; they sounded HORRIBLE.  Anyway, my guess is that whoever is performing as the Edwin Hawkins Singers these days doesn't own the copyright of the original recording but they own the copyright to the underlying song, so they re-recorded it for the purposes of selling it on iTunes and such.

i´m familiar with those awful re-recordings, but what i´ve also experience, and maybe this is what geoff is talking about, are re-recordings of the same era, maybe even the same session. just slight differences. the recording quality is the same, the players are the same, but the singer will do something different with the vocals, a couple of words are changed, or some instruments left out, or added...

oh, and i want a copy just so i can hear the wide receiver song.