Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1420131 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #2400 on: July 04, 2010, 09:17:48 AM »
The '80s recap wasn't terribly interesting.  The only songs I hadn't heard in recent times were Kenny Rogers' "Lady" and Captain & Tennille's "Do That to Me One More Time," the latter feeling out of place here.  The big surprise for me was that the only song that missed #1 here was JC's "Hurts So Good" - Foreigner's "Waiting for a Girl Like You," with its 8 or so weeks at #2, somehow missed.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

SFGuy

« Reply #2401 on: July 04, 2010, 06:38:13 PM »
There certainly seems to be a major different in Casey's DJ style between his first show and his last in 1988 .

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: July 04, 2010, 06:49:16 PM »
There certainly seems to be a major different in Casey's DJ style between his first show and his last in 1988 .

Yeah, the syrupy Casey of a thousand sappy Long-Distance Dedications evolved over time. But even between '70 and '75 (which is when I first heard the first show, on the 5th anniv) he had slowed down and warmed up quite a bit.  Because they found that that was what worked. In the beginning they were trying to get affiliates signed up and I guess they figured people wanted a more typical fast-talking, wise-cracking Top 40 DJ.  But check out Casey in 1964 with his height-of-Beatlemania novelty recording "Letter From Elaina":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf3pb-DPYQ0
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: July 04, 2010, 07:51:10 PM »
OMFG: from that other AT40 message board, in re: today's 1970 first-show-ever...

"Now for some nit-picking trivia...Did anybody notice a musician named James was twice referred in two different hits? At #34 John Phillips says 'Do it to me, James' while at #9 Elvis says 'Play it, James'.

And... they're the same person!"

http://www.james-burton.net/

SFGuy

« Reply #2404 on: July 04, 2010, 08:15:02 PM »
OMFG: from that other AT40 message board, in re: today's 1970 first-show-ever...

"Now for some nit-picking trivia...Did anybody notice a musician named James was twice referred in two different hits? At #34 John Phillips says 'Do it to me, James' while at #9 Elvis says 'Play it, James'.

Reading some of the posts from their message board, they ARE bigger nerds for AT40 than this board.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2405 on: July 06, 2010, 08:26:30 PM »
This week's Casey's '70s goes to July 11th 1976

http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/07-11-76.pdf

OMG -- the 4 Seasons' "Silver Star" in its brief Top 40 appearance!

and the '80s chart is from July 7th 1984

http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/07-07-84.pdf

don't miss the beginning of that '84 show -- Robin Gibb's "Boys Do Fall in Love" at #40 is a fave forgotten 45 from that era which deserved much better chartwise, IMHO.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 12:29:12 PM by RGMike »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: July 07, 2010, 11:03:31 PM »
Robin Gibb's "Boys Do Fall in Love" at #40 is a fave forgotten 45 from that era which deserved much better chartwise, IMHO.

And it didn't do better because people mentally finished the sentence with "with each other."  But I dug it at the time.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: July 07, 2010, 11:04:01 PM »

That bit of trivia is going to come in handy for me someday.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: July 10, 2010, 10:06:34 AM »
'76 in effect: ED&JFC ain't talkin' 'bout the linen, y'all.  But Tavares have found a missing angel. Hope it's Kate Jackson -- she's the smart one.

BOSFRA to the Seasons' "Silver Star" -- radio musta hated this to give it such short shrift after 2 huge hits in a row.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 10:10:14 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2409 on: July 10, 2010, 10:25:28 AM »
uber-BOS2 Ree-Ree doing Curtis M's "Something He Can Feel" -- that this was a #1 Soul single but only got as high as 28 Pop is one of the great shames of the '70s.

OMGWTF, even after all these years, to Todd's "Good Vibrations" -- the musical equivalent of Gus Van Sant's remake of Psycho.

I totally don't remember Johnnie Taylor's "Disco lady" follow-up, but "Somebody's Gettin It" (must be Jody).
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 10:29:43 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2410 on: July 10, 2010, 10:47:06 AM »
Ree-Ree doing Curtis M's "Something He Can Feel" -- that this was a #1 Soul single but only got as high as 28 Pop is one of the great shames of the '70s.

ditto Candi Staten Island's "Young Hearts..."

BOS3 the Carpenters gorgeous, forgotten "I Need To Be In Love", another chart stumble that deserved much better.

WOS Aerosmith.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 10:50:29 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2411 on: July 10, 2010, 11:07:57 AM »
OMGWTF2: a Tony Burrows-less Brotherhood of Man, with "Save Your Kisses For Me", a UK #1 that only got to 27 here thanks to a cover battle with the Bobby Vinton version.

VHMs "I'm Easy" and "Making Our Dreams Come True". If only the Cyndi Williams/Penny Marshall remake of "16 Reasons" had made the Top 40...

« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 11:12:56 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: July 10, 2010, 11:40:16 AM »
How 'bout a Seals & Crofts/Silver Convention mash-up: "Get Closer and Boogie".

Look At Me I'm an ARTISTE! award to Neil D's "If You Know What I Mean"

And this was the first time the Beatles and the Beach Boys were in the Top 40 simultaneously since May of 1969, when "Get Back" debuted at #10 as a descending "I Can Hear Music" was at #37.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: July 11, 2010, 10:26:59 AM »
Sorry, Sergio: I prefer your Brazil '66 incarnation to the paint-by-numbers adult-contempo of stuff like the forgettable "Alibis". And while we're being cranky: WOS Steve Perry's "She's Mine" -- thank gawd radio doesn't remember this one.

But BOS the Boy and his compatriots with "It's a Miracle"

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2414 on: July 11, 2010, 10:47:10 AM »
Quite a Gaz-tastic first hour, with the aforementioned Robin Gibb and Culture Club hits, Eddy Grant's "Romancing the Stone" and Corey Hart rockin' da 'glasses.

But the 2nd hour begins with the WOS-in-perpetuity of "Sister Christian" and the compeltely forgettable/formulaic/sounds-like-5-other-songs "I'm Free" by Mr Loggins. Even people who've seen Footloose dozens of times don't recall this one.

No shortage of WOSes in this hour: Starship's "No Way Out", Chicago's "Stay The Night" too. And a special WOS/WTF to the Jagger/Jacksons collab "State of Shock".

But BOS2 Dan Hartman on the moving sidewalk.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 11:31:17 AM by RGMike »