Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1419871 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #1980 on: March 08, 2010, 12:49:59 PM »

I'm weirdly hoping to hit 1971 soon for the three different charting versions of "Love Story."

your wish is granted! Long live Jambi!

http://www.oldradioshows.com/at40/030671.html

And the '80s version is from March of '83...

http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/03-12-83.pdf
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 12:53:25 PM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

SFGuy

« Reply #1981 on: March 08, 2010, 09:21:50 PM »
Anyone know how to tape these shows?? I used to do that when Directv had XM and I could tape off TV.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: March 08, 2010, 11:02:48 PM »
your wish is granted! Long live Jambi!

Mekka-lekka-hi, mekka-hiney-ho!  Whee!
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: March 09, 2010, 08:59:40 AM »
Anyone know how to tape these shows?? I used to do that when Directv had XM and I could tape off TV.

I'm on a mac using Firefox, and I had to install Flip4Mac to make certain streams work (click here for the KFOG stream I use).  Some streams don't open in this player, however, so you would have to find a AT40 strem that can be used here.  I've found that the "Windows" icon'd streams on this page sometimes work for me:
http://radiotime.com/options/p_117092/American_Top_40_-_The_70s.aspx

but there's a trick to it:  hover over the Window stream link and note the javascript parameters that should be revealed in your browser's status bar.  The last number in the parentheses is the one you should plug in here:

http://stream.radiotime.com/listen.stream?streamId=[javascript_number_here]

ok, it sounds confusing, but I'll try to create actual links when I have more time.  Anyway, when I find one, and use that URL, the online player shows up in my Firefox like this: 

It's pretty cool. Allows me to listen whenever I want, as long as the Firefox window stays open.  I can rewind it, pause it, and I can save the stream as a Quicktime movie!  I can then convert that QT movie audio track in to an mp3 file using a decent audio app (I use Audacity).   
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 09:21:20 AM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: March 09, 2010, 09:03:21 AM »

I'm on a mac using Firefox, and I had to install Flip4Mac to make certain streams work but it can be tricky to find one w a good bitrate.  Anyway, when I click on a compatible stream, the online player shows up in my Firefox like this: 

It's pretty cool. Allows me to listen whenever I want, as long as the Firefox window stays open.  I can rewind it, pause it, and I can save the stream as a Quicktime movie!  I can then convert that QT movie audio track in to an mp3 file using a decent audio app (I use Audacity).   

oh, you kids today with yer wacky technology! ;)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: March 13, 2010, 07:31:00 AM »
As for 1971 ...

WOS to Mike Curb and His God Squad with the silly "Burning Bridges."

But I'm liking the funk quotient.  Rufus Thomas's "Push and Pull" is still on.  Johnnie Taylor's live version of "Jody's Got Your Girl and Gone" in the Wattstax film is far superior to the studio single - it's faster, looser, funkier.  "He ha' the sense to express himself!"
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: March 13, 2010, 07:43:59 AM »
Speaking of silly, B.J. Thomas ventures into bubblegum territory with "No Love at All," which would have been a better fit for Mark Lindsay.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: March 13, 2010, 08:31:07 AM »
A Casey's Extra: Nelson Riddle's instrumental "Lisbon Antigua."  How dreadfully boring.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: March 13, 2010, 10:02:21 AM »
Tuned in early for the Canadian feed and got to hear Martha & the Muffins' fantabulous "Echo Beach"

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: March 13, 2010, 10:43:18 AM »

I'm weirdly hoping to hit 1971 soon for the three different charting versions of "Love Story."

The Francis Lai version (from the movie sndtk) is actually interesting -- dig the Spanish guitar part.

I remember thinking at the time that Ree-Ree's cover of "YOU'RE ALL I NEED TO GET BY" was unnecessary, but of course now I love it.  But Aretha, honey, it was a lot easier to push you up the hill in '71 than it is now.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: March 13, 2010, 11:10:30 AM »
I cringe as Casey perpetuates one of the most annoying mispronunciations there is: "... from the GOLF of Mexico to the GOLF of Alaska..."

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: March 13, 2010, 11:47:31 AM »
Speaking of silly, B.J. Thomas ventures into bubblegum territory with "No Love at All," which would have been a better fit for Mark Lindsay.

Indeed, Mr Lindsay woulda been perfect for that one -- and this Bobby Sherman obscurity, "Cry Like a Baby", would've suited BJ nicely.  Why aren't we making millions as A&R guys?

OMFWTF-of-the-Week is this instrumental filler track from Janis' Pearl LP. But I wish Casey hadn't given up his practice of playing a song from the #1 album each week.

VHM Sammi Smith, the first of many many covers of Kristofferson's "Help Me Make it Thru the Night" -- Gladys' is superior, IMHO.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 11:52:02 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: March 13, 2010, 12:04:55 PM »
Why didn't the Italian-American Anti-Defamation League get upset about Wadsworth Mansion calling "Sweet Mary" a wop, wop, wop?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 12:22:23 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: March 13, 2010, 12:13:38 PM »
VHM and proxy of cairo, "Amos Moses" -- left arm gone clean up to the elbow!

BOS the Partridges, "Doesn't Somebody Want To Be Wanted?" -- bonus points for the spoken word part. Where is love? and who is love? I gotta know!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 12:20:57 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: March 13, 2010, 12:28:33 PM »
Kudos Mr Kasem for playing both sides of CCR's hit -- and it's followed by another Fogerty comp, Ike & Tina's "Proud Mary". Lissen to da story, now!

BOS2 the J-5's "Mama's Pearl", one of my faves of theirs, and easily the least-played of their first 6 smashes.