Author Topic: 10 Oct 2007: Let's Get Vertical 1961 (!!!) to 1970  (Read 7802 times)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: The Roses
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2007, 10:20:53 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Quote from: "ggould"
Quote from: "Gazoo"
I have a deep distaste for the Dovells, Montez, and Gentrys tracks, but that's overshadowed by the sheef OMG-ness of going so far back.  BOS on the upcoming replay to "Sally Go 'Round the Roses," which Grace Slick and the Great Society used to cover in concert.  Apparently some people believe it's about closeted lesbianism.  "They won't tell your secret ..."

HM to Grass Roots, a song that used to hit very close to home for me.  And to the J5, which I TANCoincidentally heard last week at the dentist's.
Yes, Grace used to sing this song too.  Tim Buckley too if my old brain still works.  When I first noticed the "ahead of its time" comment, I was waiting for the other shoe to drop, and here it is.  I doubt that it's about closeted lesbianism, but I have no standing to make that judgement.  I do however realize I've been partly 'mondegreening' this song all this time (yes, I remember the original).  I used to always sing along "Roses, steak and perfume" even while hearing that "the roses they can't hurt you!"

For me, 1961 was the borderline between the old rock and the modern rock.
I'd never heard the lesbianism theory before today, but by "ahead of it's time" I simply meant that in 1963 girl-group records didn't sound like that. It's not about a guy. It's very later-'60s folky. Quite the anomaly.

Yes, I agree with you about the whole sound.  It was very exotic back then.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Jackie Wilson Says...
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2007, 10:22:51 PM »
This is probably one of those "perfect" records.  Bubblin' bass line, crisp rhythm guitar, great backup singers, and that voice!

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
The verticalness of it all
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2007, 10:30:58 PM »
This is quite striking to me.  1961/1962 is the start for me of a constant listening to the radio, every day, every week, waiting to hear the top 20 (or 30 or 40, depending on the station) and taking it all very seriously.  By the time we hit CCR, I'm in college, and as much as I like the Jackson 5, was no longer listening to Top 40 radio by 1970.

"Just look over your shoulder!"

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Jackie Wilson Says...
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2007, 10:33:09 PM »
Quote from: "ggould"
This is probably one of those "perfect" records.  Bubblin' bass line, crisp rhythm guitar, great backup singers, and that voice!

From your mouth to Dave's ear.
Let's get right to it.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
10 Oct 2007: Let's Get Vertical 1961 (!!!) to 1970
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2007, 10:49:39 PM »
Quote from: "SFGuy"
Not really my kind of music but considering how rare this is for KFOG, I guess it's OK. They must of really dug really deep to find these records. I'm sure most aren't in the normal library.

I'm sure this mostly comes from Dave's home library. An enviable collection.
Sharks bleed teal.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2007, 09:38:50 AM »
I can pretty much guarantee this will be the first set in the Saturday morning marathon.

Shockingly, no.  It's starting in a few (currently 12:38pm EST).
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2007, 10:01:52 AM »
I can pretty much guarantee this will be the first set in the Saturday morning marathon.

the order today was 1977, 1969, 1983, VT, and as usual saving the worst for last.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2007, 10:24:08 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"

the order today was 1977, 1969, 1983, VT, and as usual saving the worst for last.

Very happy to have been wrong -- I'm wondering how closely they monitor the reaction to these things.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round