Author Topic: 10 Oct 2007: Let's Get Vertical 1961 (!!!) to 1970  (Read 8348 times)

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
10 Oct 2007: Let's Get Vertical 1961 (!!!) to 1970
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2007, 10:28:35 AM »
My god, for a sec when the harpsichord started I thought we were getting the Partridge Family, but it turned out to be a *real* family band. I'll take this anytime. BOS10 J5, I'll Be There.
Let's get right to it.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2007, 10:28:38 AM »
Another BOS for the Five.  Great set, this is.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

yessongs

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2007, 10:29:20 AM »
Great set but I missed the intro, got to try and catch it tonight...
Now I'm eight bits...

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2007, 10:30:26 AM »
Quote from: "urth"
My god, for a sec when the harpsichord started I thought we were getting the Partridge Family, but it turned out to be a *real* family band. I'll take this anytime. BOS10 J5, I'll Be There.

This is one of 4 Jackson 5 songs that Dave plays in 1970, along with "I Want You Back", "ABC" & "The Love You Save".
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2007, 10:32:07 AM »
I like the fact that Dave is talking about Next Time already.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2007, 10:35:38 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
Quote from: "urth"

This is one of 4 Jackson 5 songs that Dave plays in 1970, along with "I Want You Back", "ABC" & "The Love You Save".

well, technically they only HAD 4 hits in '70; even I'm not crazy enuf to expect J-5 album tracks, even if a couple B-sides ("Who's Lovin' You", "I Think I Found That Girl") got serious AM play.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2007, 05:47:56 PM »
10/10/2007 - Wednesday-A Vertical Tasting
10 GREAT songs from 10 GREAT October 10s. 1961 to 1970

1.  The Dovells - Bristol Stomp (The kids look sharp as a pistol)  
2.  Chris Montez - Let's Dance  
3.  The Jaynetts - Sally Go 'Round The Roses  
4.  Roy Orbison - Oh Pretty Woman (BEST OF SET!!)  
5.  The Gentrys - Keep On Dancin'  
6.  ? & The Mysterians - 96 Tears (BEST OF SET!!)  
7.  Jackie Wilson - Higher & Higher (BEST OF SET!!)  
8.  The Grass Roots - Midnight Confessions  
9.  CCR - Green River  
10.  Jackson 5 - I'll Be There

No bonus track listed on the KFOG page, but I think it was Maggie May. I caught just the end, but that would be the right year.

Anyone else notice that the sound fidelity seemed to get a whole lot better around 1966?
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2007, 07:17:32 PM »
I have a deep distaste for the Dovells, Montez, and Gentrys tracks, but that's overshadowed by the sheef OMG-ness of going so far back.  BOS on the upcoming replay to "Sally Go 'Round the Roses," which Grace Slick and the Great Society used to cover in concert.  Apparently some people believe it's about closeted lesbianism.  "They won't tell your secret ..."

HM to Grass Roots, a song that used to hit very close to home for me.  And to the J5, which I TANCoincidentally heard last week at the dentist's.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
The Roses
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2007, 08:37:22 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
I have a deep distaste for the Dovells, Montez, and Gentrys tracks, but that's overshadowed by the sheef OMG-ness of going so far back.  BOS on the upcoming replay to "Sally Go 'Round the Roses," which Grace Slick and the Great Society used to cover in concert.  Apparently some people believe it's about closeted lesbianism.  "They won't tell your secret ..."

HM to Grass Roots, a song that used to hit very close to home for me.  And to the J5, which I TANCoincidentally heard last week at the dentist's.

Yes, Grace used to sing this song too.  Tim Buckley too if my old brain still works.  When I first noticed the "ahead of its time" comment, I was waiting for the other shoe to drop, and here it is.  I doubt that it's about closeted lesbianism, but I have no standing to make that judgement.  I do however realize I've been partly 'mondegreening' this song all this time (yes, I remember the original).  I used to always sing along "Roses, steak and perfume" even while hearing that "the roses they can't hurt you!"

For me, 1961 was the borderline between the old rock and the modern rock.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
replay
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2007, 10:08:46 PM »
I'm really diggin' it, only into 2nd song, but it already feels too quick.  Can't we linger just a little bit longer? :lol:

SFGuy

« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2007, 10:10:18 PM »
Not really my kind of music but considering how rare this is for KFOG, I guess it's OK. They must of really dug really deep to find these records. I'm sure most aren't in the normal library.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Sally and Roy
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2007, 10:16:24 PM »
listening closely, I could swear the chorus echoes "The roses want to tell your secret" even after the lead sings "They won't tell your secrets."  I could clearly hear the extra syllable.

I've heard Pretty Woman so many times, it doesn't seem like an oldie!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The Roses
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2007, 10:17:18 PM »
Quote from: "ggould"
Quote from: "Gazoo"

Yes, Grace used to sing this song too.  Tim Buckley too if my old brain still works.  When I first noticed the "ahead of its time" comment, I was waiting for the other shoe to drop, and here it is.  I doubt that it's about closeted lesbianism, but I have no standing to make that judgement.  I do however realize I've been partly 'mondegreening' this song all this time (yes, I remember the original).  I used to always sing along "Roses, steak and perfume" even while hearing that "the roses they can't hurt you!"

For me, 1961 was the borderline between the old rock and the modern rock.

I'd never heard the lesbianism theory before today, but by "ahead of it's time" I simply meant that in 1963 girl-group records didn't sound like that. It's not about a guy. It's very later-'60s folky. Quite the anomaly.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Keep on Dancin'
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2007, 10:17:26 PM »
classic fake fadeout!

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
96 Tears
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2007, 10:19:30 PM »
reminds me of listening to the KPFA punk show, and hearing this as a proto-punk classic.