Author Topic: 18 Jan 2012: It's...1995  (Read 11361 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: 18 Jan 2012: It's...1995
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2012, 10:42:11 AM »
and post-set we get DMB sailing to the end of the world. Would that he would.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2012, 10:43:26 AM »

The Nikki French "Total Eclipse" is one of the best dance-remakes of a ballad ever -- the '90s equivalent of Donna Summer doing "MacArthur Park". And shortly thereafter, Bonnie Tyler herself did a dance version of MeatLoaf's "2 out of 3 Ain't Bad"

I had to look up this Nikki French song b/c I couldn't place it, but I did instantly recognize it once I heard it.  It is fantastic, but I'd say the the likelihood of a 120 bpm dance track appearing on 10at10 is pretty slim.

I'm glad it's well-received around here.  It's one of my favorite remakes, but in the days of the R&R music board (now Pulse) I had to defend my opinion against the haters (and there were many. :P )

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2012, 10:47:24 AM »

The Nikki French "Total Eclipse" is one of the best dance-remakes of a ballad ever -- the '90s equivalent of Donna Summer doing "MacArthur Park". And shortly thereafter, Bonnie Tyler herself did a dance version of MeatLoaf's "2 out of 3 Ain't Bad"

I had to look up this Nikki French song b/c I couldn't place it, but I did instantly recognize it once I heard it.  It is fantastic, but I'd say the the likelihood of a 120 bpm dance track appearing on 10at10 is pretty slim.

I'm glad it's well-received around here.  It's one of my favorite remakes, but in the days of the R&R music board (now Pulse) I had to defend my opinion against the haters (and there were many. :P )

Yet those currently posting on the AAA/HAC pretty much go apeshit whenever Train, Daughtry or Nickelback release anything. I guess that says something.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2012, 10:49:13 AM »
Good/necessary:

1 B/F
2 C-/D-
3 D-/D-
4 B/D-
5 B/C
6 C/D
7 B/B-
8 C/D-
9 B+/B
10 A/A

I pretty much agree with this, although I'd move 5&6 down to "F" for necessary.  7 might get moved a notch or two down too.  Despite being CS, in the scheme of things "Gel" was a pleasant surprise.  Is that a bustout?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2012, 10:54:31 AM »

another dance fave of mine from that year was Corona's "Rhythm of the Night" (NOT the DeBarge hit).

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2012, 11:05:04 AM »

another dance fave of mine from that year was Corona's "Rhythm of the Night" (NOT the DeBarge hit).

Yes!  Another song that AL needs to play, but probably won't.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2012, 11:05:58 AM »

9 B+/B
10 A/A

I'll BOS these two. 

Also the Niners clips, despite them being Katrinas or Sallies or whatever.   

Dudes!  My brother's father-in-law played for the Niners!  No lie..

this is him:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GonzJo20.htm
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 11:07:44 AM by Tinka Cat »
~CPL593H~

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2012, 11:46:51 AM »
I'm going to have to put that Al Franken movie into Netflix.

"Good" qualifies as a Good Katrina.

I KNEW that would be played.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 11:55:21 AM by Here'sToYa! »
Slipping into something
And out of something else

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2012, 11:51:52 AM »
Ewwwwwww.... WOS Newt

Matthew Sweet... at least it's not an LN, and so far it's BOS

Dang, I almost requested that song because I actually like it.

Going on AL's page and telling her the recent sets are awful is tempting but a bit melodramatic. I think I'm going to go passive-aggressive by requesting boring songs that are likely to get airplay.

This is BS, y'all.
Slipping into something

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2012, 12:06:45 PM »
RGMike, I'm calculating about a 70% overlap between KFOG's 10@10 and Austin Bob's in 2012. Am I overstating?

And I'm aware that "Bob" will play Debbie Gibson, Whitney, Mariah, et al., and KFOG won't  ;)

My point is that KFOG's setlists over the past couple of weeks are overstuffed with boring, radio-friendly fodder, even in comparison to the second half of 2011.
Slipping into something

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2012, 01:14:45 PM »
My point is that KFOG's setlists over the past couple of weeks are overstuffed with boring, radio-friendly fodder, even in comparison to the second half of 2011.

And banality is the root of all evil. I have to agree... while 10@10 had a couple of inspiring moments within the last couple of months in 2011, it has been pretty dull so far this year.

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2012, 03:03:11 PM »

It's (been) a Dead Man's Party - who could ask for more?   :P

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2012, 03:18:28 PM »

It's (been) a Dead Man's Party - who could ask for more?   :P

and judging by the FB comments, most Fogheads are perfectly pleased. Those of us who rock the crankypants are clearly outnumbered by the "OMG! I *lurve* [insert name of annoying artist/song here]" crowd.  'Tis the way of the world.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2012, 04:32:54 PM »
I might as well give up on requesting songs (and she didn't "welcome" them today, but I +1'd everything from IntellectualElitist.  I actually have the albums from the first three. :P  (Including the Japanese import of the Nicki French album.  :-X )

It wasn't until I read this that I realized AL didn't actually ask for requests -- but she got them anyway.

TANC: Donna Summer's MacArthur's (sic) Park on http://aceradio.net Super 70s channel right now.

Bew bew-bew-bew-bew!  (sound of electronic drums)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 04:34:40 PM by Tinka Cat »
~CPL593H~

Nate

• two bits
  • It's called "Internet"
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2012, 10:17:16 PM »
Here's the full setlist. Listening to the replay and it looks pretty boring. I've noticed the plan lately seems to be 2 somewhat interesting rareties and then a lot of overplayed, obvious filler.

01/18/12 - Wednesday! Good Sounds in 1995!!

1. Better Than Ezra - Good
 2. Everclear - Santa Monica (Watch the World Die)
(Sports: Superbowl XXIX - 49ers win their fifth!)
 3. Van Morrison - Days Like This
 4. Tracy Chapman - Give Me One Reason
(Movie: Stuart Saves His Family - Stuart & his mom)
 5. Foo Fighters - Big Me
 6. Jewel - Who Will Save Your Soul
(News: Newt Gingrich and the Contract With America)
 7. Matthew Sweet - Sick of Myself
(News: O.J. Simpson acquitted of murder charges)
 8. Dionne Farris - I Know
(Movie: Empire Records )
 9. Aimee Mann - Choice in the Matter
(Movie: The Usual Suspects -Kevin Spacey on Keyser Söze )
10. Collective Soul - Gel (B.O.S!)