Author Topic: 8 March 2006: I predict 1975...& I am RIGHT!  (Read 21862 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
8 March 2006: I predict 1975...& I am RIGHT!
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2006, 10:39:22 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Quote from: "Beej"
Well, "Magic" sorta helps illustrate my point: '75? Great music, cheesy music and some great cheesy music. That was '75.

Greatest summary of a year ever.

P.S.  Coincidentally, inspired by Alicat's putting "Who Loves You" on a '75 mix for me, I've been working on a short speculation piece on why so many '60s artists had critical and commercial comebacks in that year.  Four Seasons, John Sebastian, Jefferson Starship, Ben E. King, David Ruffin, etc.

and your theory is?  pop/nostalgia goes in 10-year cycles?
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2006, 10:39:23 AM »
Although some of you will call it a Katrina, I give another co-BOS vote to S&G, whom I mentioned in my Aztec Two-Step preview.

P.S.  Is it "nothing but the dead and dying" or "nothing but the dead of night" in their little town?  My mind mondegreens it as the latter.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2006, 10:39:42 AM »
S&G, My Little Katrina. Amazing how quickly a song can go from a rarity to a katrina.

It'd be great to hear George Harrison's Crackerbox Palace or This Song, although now that I think of it, those were released in 76. Never mind.
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2006, 10:40:41 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Well, "Magic" sorta helps illustrate my point: '75? Great music, cheesy music and some great cheesy music. That was '75.

P.S.  Coincidentally, inspired by Alicat's putting "Who Loves You" on a '75 mix for me, I've been working on a short speculation piece on why so many '60s artists had critical and commercial comebacks in that year.  Four Seasons, John Sebastian, Jefferson Starship, Ben E. King, David Ruffin, etc.

I'll let you know when I'm done.   :D

But a hypothesis I'm working from suggests a response, conscious or un-, to the trash singles (a term I use lovingly) that dominated the charts in '73 and '74.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2006, 10:41:12 AM »
Although some of you will call it a Katrina, I give another co-BOS vote to S&G, whom I mentioned in my Aztec Two-Step preview.

P.S.  Is it "nothing but the dead and dying" or "nothing but the dead of night" in their little town?  My mind mondegreens it as the latter.

def the former.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2006, 10:41:31 AM »
Quote from: "urth"
S&G, My Little Katrina. Amazing how quickly a song can go from a rarity to a katrina.

It'd be great to hear George Harrison's Crackerbox Palace or This Song, although now that I think of it, those were released in 76. Never mind.

George in '75 would have been "You," I think, which would have gotten an easy BOS from me too.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2006, 10:43:38 AM »

Yep, it's also the year of both the "Autobahn" & the "Convoy".
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2006, 10:44:04 AM »

I'll let you know when I'm done.   :D

But a hypothesis I'm working from suggests a response, conscious or un-, to the trash singles (a term I use lovingly) that dominated the charts in '73 and '74.

some would call "Welcome Back" one of those trash singles. Tho' it wasn't a hit single until '76...

And it's "Dead & Dying", on the S&G. Don't Aztec 2-Step do a bunch of S&G covers? I thought I saw something about that on their site.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2006, 10:44:41 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"

Yep, it's also the year of both the "Autobahn" & the "Convoy".

This is why 1975 is for me the second-greatest year in rock music history (the first being 1967).

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2006, 10:47:26 AM »
listening on the 'net and that PSA about Lewis & Clark came on: so the Indian woman's name (Sacajawea) is pronounced "Sah-COG-a-way-uh", not "Sack-a-ja-wee-uh"?  Live'n'learn.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2006, 10:50:12 AM »

Although it may or may not be 10 year cycles, 1975 was THE year for the nostalgia craze.  Happy Days had premiered in fall of '74 and it was such a hit that it started a fad that made the cover of Newsweek & (iirc) Time.

And everywhere AOR guys told all their old fogeys, "Holy shit, dude! You better put soemthing out there."
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2006, 10:52:52 AM »
listening on the 'net and that PSA about Lewis & Clark came on: so the Indian woman's name (Sacajawea) is pronounced "Sah-COG-a-way-uh", not "Sack-a-ja-wee-uh"?  Live'n'learn.

huh. that's been throwing me, too. maybe it's allstate, stan?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2006, 10:54:52 AM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"

everything I learned in grammar school is wrong.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 08, 2006, 10:57:35 AM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"

everything I learned in grammar school is wrong.

well, everything you needed to learn was "taught" in kindergarten.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 08, 2006, 10:59:57 AM »

The kids on Stevie Wonder's "Black Man" pronounce it "Sac-a-JOW-ee-ah," iirc, further complicating matters.