Author Topic: 8 March 2006: I predict 1975...& I am RIGHT!  (Read 23292 times)

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
8 March 2006: I predict 1975...& I am RIGHT!
« Reply #75 on: March 08, 2006, 11:06:00 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Quote from: "RGMike"
listening on the 'net and that PSA about Lewis & Clark came on: so the Indian woman's name (Sacajawea) is pronounced "Sah-COG-a-way-uh", not "Sack-a-ja-wee-uh"?  Live'n'learn.

The kids on Stevie Wonder's "Black Man" pronounce it "Sac-a-JOW-ee-ah," iirc, further complicating matters.

from merriam webster:
ain Entry:   Sac·a·ga·wea
Variant(s):   also Sac·a·ja·wea  /"sa-k&-j&-'wE-&/
Function:   biographical name
there's an audio link to pronounciation on the site, confirming out grammar school teachings.

but dictionary.com proffers:
Sac·a·ga·we·a     P   Pronunciation Key  (sk-g-w, sä-kägä-wä) or Sac·a·ja·we·a (sk-j-w), 1787?-1812.

the first of which would agree with the advertisement. but you have to be a premium member to hear the pronounciation on their site.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2006, 11:09:06 AM »
listening on the 'net and that PSA about Lewis & Clark came on: so the Indian woman's name (Sacajawea) is pronounced "Sah-COG-a-way-uh", not "Sack-a-ja-wee-uh"?  Live'n'learn.

Not real easy to say for sure, as L & C couldn't talk to her.  It's an interesting wouldn't-believe-it-in-a-novel story. She came from some little tribe on the present day Idaho/Montana border, and had been captured on a raid & sold into a Mandan tribe, where upon growing up she was married off to a French trapper.  So she spoke some French & a few indigenous languages, but no English.  L & C wintered with the Mandans in 1803-4, and hired the French guy to be their guide into the uncharted headlands of the Missouri river.  Eventually they came to regard him as a worthless buffoon, and may have dumped him except they had to use him to speak with her, and she was beginning to prove herself invaluable.  She had given birth during that winter & among her many amazing accomplishments is carrying an infant across the continental divide to the Pacific and back & keeping him healthy the whole time.

The most unbelievable part of her story is that after struggling mightily to cross the divide over what they named the Bitterroot Range, the party came across a couple of native women at a river, and immediately they ran away before L & C could call out to them.  The next day they met a couple of native men, and after they began talking it turned out to be her long lost brother!  Not only that but he was now the chief of their tribe.  If not for this utterly unbelievable coincidence the L & C expedition might not have made it much past that point as they were literally on their last legs supply-wise.  If they had encountered hostile natives, or even just indifferent ones, who knows?

This also means that outside of the several days they spent with that tribe L & C never would have heard anyone speaking to her in her native & contemporary language.  Whatever anyone says today is just an educated guess.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2006, 11:18:27 AM »
Damn -- why hasn't somebody made a movie of that yet?  Paging Terence Malick...
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2006, 11:25:56 AM »
Damn -- why hasn't somebody made a movie of that yet?  

disney did. ;)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 08, 2006, 12:25:52 PM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
Damn -- why hasn't somebody made a movie of that yet?  

disney did. ;)

wow, that was a loooooooong time ago, no?  If they can remake The Shaggy Dog...

My question is, why didn't they put Shaggy in The Shaggy Dog?

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 08, 2006, 12:32:55 PM »
So, Karnak...what year are we going to tomorrow?
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 08, 2006, 12:46:22 PM »
Quote from: "urth"

'86 and '82 are both (over)due.  As is '73, but Dave may save that for Friday.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 08, 2006, 03:17:33 PM »

I think I'll quit while I'm ahead, but I still expect '86 pretty soon.

BTW, today was the highest post count of any date in the past 6 months other than Friday the 13th of Jan.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 08, 2006, 05:03:53 PM »
Quote from: "mshray"

I think I'll quit while I'm ahead, but I still expect '86 pretty soon.

BTW, today was the highest post count of any date in the past 6 months other than Friday the 13th of Jan.

How do you determine that?

And 86 is def. due, but 82 is always the year that to me seems like it comes up most often, even though it really doesn't.
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 08, 2006, 06:52:07 PM »

Not real easy to say for sure, as L & C couldn't talk to her.  It's an interesting wouldn't-believe-it-in-a-novel story. She came from some little tribe on the present day Idaho/Montana border, and had been captured on a raid & sold into a Mandan tribe, where upon growing up she was married off to a French trapper.  So she spoke some French & a few indigenous languages, but no English.  L & C wintered with the Mandans in 1803-4, and hired the French guy to be their guide into the uncharted headlands of the Missouri river.  Eventually they came to regard him as a worthless buffoon, and may have dumped him except they had to use him to speak with her, and she was beginning to prove herself invaluable.  She had given birth during that winter & among her many amazing accomplishments is carrying an infant across the continental divide to the Pacific and back & keeping him healthy the whole time.

The most unbelievable part of her story is that after struggling mightily to cross the divide over what they named the Bitterroot Range, the party came across a couple of native women at a river, and immediately they ran away before L & C could call out to them.  The next day they met a couple of native men, and after they began talking it turned out to be her long lost brother!  Not only that but he was now the chief of their tribe.  If not for this utterly unbelievable coincidence the L & C expedition might not have made it much past that point as they were literally on their last legs supply-wise.  If they had encountered hostile natives, or even just indifferent ones, who knows?

This also means that outside of the several days they spent with that tribe L & C never would have heard anyone speaking to her in her native & contemporary language.  Whatever anyone says today is just an educated guess.

Better than any history course I ever took.  (Somehow I got through college without taking a single history class.  Shameful, I know, but my priorities were elsewhere.  Now I sorely regret how little knowledge of U.S., much less world, history I have at my age.)
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 08, 2006, 07:47:26 PM »

How the heck do you know all that!? I just helped write a report on the Mandan tribe and built a diorama and I don't know even 1/4 of that. It's fascinating.
Sharks bleed teal.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
list
« Reply #86 on: March 08, 2006, 09:45:44 PM »
3/8/06 - Wednesday!!!  A great time in...1975!!!

Dwight Twilley - I'm on Fire
Ambrosia - World Leave Me Alone
Pink Floyd - Welcome to the Machine
Jeff Beck - Freeway Jam
Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run (B-O-S!!)
Hot Chocolate - Emma
Spinners - They Just Can't Help it (The Games People Play)
Jimmy Cliff - The Harder They Come
Pilot - Magic
Simon & Garfunkle - My Little Town
BONUS TRACK:  Pure Prairie League - Amie
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: list
« Reply #87 on: March 09, 2006, 07:35:02 AM »
Quote from: "ggould"
3/8/06 - Wednesday!!!  A great time in...1975!!!

Dwight Twilley - I'm on Fire
Ambrosia - World Leave Me Alone
Pink Floyd - Welcome to the Machine
Jeff Beck - Freeway Jam
Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run (B-O-S!!)
Hot Chocolate - Emma
Spinners - They Just Can't Help it (The Games People Play)
Jimmy Cliff - The Harder They Come
Pilot - Magic
Simon & Garfunkle - My Little Town
BONUS TRACK:  Pure Prairie League - Amie

even the bonus track was a Katrina!

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 09, 2006, 08:25:50 AM »
Quote from: "Alicat"

How the heck do you know all that!?

You have to read Stephen Ambrose's Undaunted Courage, it's a fascinating history book that reads like a novel except for:
A) where he quotes directly from Lewis' or Clark's journals or
B) where he recaps his own journey along the entire route & tells you where you can still see some of the stuff that L & C saw 203 years ago.

Ambrose wrote several best-selling WWII books before this, incl. Band of Brothers, from which the TV show was derived.  He followed it up with a fascinating book on the Trans-Continental Railroad called Nothing Like It in the World.  Reading that one gives you an upper division course in early California history along the way.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 09, 2006, 08:29:26 AM »

How do you determine that?

On the front page of the 10@10 forum there is a column for the # of replies.  Jan 13 had 97, and with the late action this morning I think this thread has almost caught up.

--Carlos Santana, 2010