Author Topic: 10@10: Alternative Takes  (Read 367823 times)

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
Re: 10@10 in general
« Reply #150 on: May 13, 2013, 12:07:02 AM »
My 1982 set:

1. David Johansen - We Gotta Get Out Of This Place / Don't Bring Me Down / It's My Life
(Rodney Dangerfield gets respect from KFOG)
 2. Mike Oldfield - Family Man
 3. The Bus Boys - Heart And Soul
(TV: Today Show - Bryant Gumbel interviews Paul McCartney)
 4. Paul McCartney - Take It Away
(News: Kaposi's Sarcoma / AIDS)
 5. Joe Jackson - Cancer
(Neil Young National Academy of Child Development PSA)
 6. Neil Young - Mr. Soul
(TV: Cheers)
 7. Vanity 6 - Nasty Girl
(TV: WKRP In Cincinnati)
 8. The Ravyns - Raised On The Radio
 9. Prefab Sprout - Radio Love
(Commercial: Longs Drugs)
10. The Jam - Just Who Is The Five O'Clock Hero?

https://soundcloud.com/capnjack-1/30-10-10-1982

Enjoy!

ETA: New link: http://www.mediafire.com/listen/2cdp4yy9fmrr49m/30_10@10_1982.mp3
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 11:38:31 PM by CapnJack »
Tuned to a natural E

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 13, 2013, 07:40:40 AM »
My 1982 set:

3. The Bus Boys - Heart And Soul

Loved those guys. Saw them open for Linda Ronstadt, of all people, at Radio City Music Hall in 1980.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 13, 2013, 02:52:07 PM »
Big kerfuffle going on on the GS board because Renee didn't do a Mothers' Day set today, and another "grand tradition" has been put by the wayside. 

Guess what folks? Dave Morey didn't do a Mothers' Day set between 2000 and his retirement in 2008. So if some big tradition has been sullied, it started way way back in 2010,  which was Annalisa's first Mothers' Day in the driver's seat.

I agree.  Although I'm not thrilled with Renee in general, it seems like she gets smack for every little thing that she does that's different from AL.  I'm not a fan of most theme 10@10's and thought that doubling up on Acoustic Sunrise+10@10 for Mother's Day, Earth Day, etc was overkill.  Every specialty program doesn't need to focus on every holiday.

All of which goes to show – you irritate your audience in the beginning, don’t really make up for it, and they’re going to tear you apart for every digression, real or perceived.

But yeah, on the list of “things wrong with this era’s 10@10”, the lack of a Mothers Day set shouldn’t rate a mention... don’t get me wrong, I love my Mom and all, but IMHO it’s the worst of the Hallmark holidays.

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 13, 2013, 10:53:00 PM »
I agree.  Although I'm not thrilled with Renee in general, it seems like she gets smack for every little thing that she does that's different from AL.

What bugs me about Renee is not that she does things differently from AL, but that she clearly
doesn't put much effort into the creation of 10@10.  Everyone was worried about what AL would
do after DM, but it soon became clear that she was putting serious work into creating a superior
show five days a week.  This was later confirmed in an e-mail exchange I had with her.  Admittedly,
a large part of the current suckitude can be traced to the "new direction" changes made the
other July.  But there are lots of other indications that 10@10 sets these days -- both the songs
and the clips -- are being assembled largely by rote.  Creativity, thought, and a solid knowledge
of the music of the year are all lacking, and it shows.
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 13, 2013, 11:03:33 PM »
By popular demand, I've decided to share all of the files I have posted (so far) at MediaFire:

http://www.mediafire.com/?nfrteby8q276l

You can download/listen to them at your leisure.  I'll still upload the brand new ones on SoundCloud,
but they will eventually be archived at MediaFire.  I hope you get a chance to hear them, dischead!

Apart from not having a high-speed net connection, I also don't have any devices that play MP3s.

I did d/l a set yesterday on someone else's computer, and I am confused...  I listened to a few
minutes at the beginning, then skipped to the end.  Are you wrapping RR introductions etc.
around your own sets?  (And if so, couldn't you find some DM or AL intros instead?)

I didn't have time to listen to the whole thing, unfortunately.  I was trying to fix a printing problem
they were having.  (And I have failed so far.  Very strange problem, and very frustrating.)
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 13, 2013, 11:45:14 PM »
By popular demand, I've decided to share all of the files I have posted (so far) at MediaFire:

http://www.mediafire.com/?nfrteby8q276l

You can download/listen to them at your leisure.  I'll still upload the brand new ones on SoundCloud,
but they will eventually be archived at MediaFire.  I hope you get a chance to hear them, dischead!

Apart from not having a high-speed net connection, I also don't have any devices that play MP3s.

I did d/l a set yesterday on someone else's computer, and I am confused...  I listened to a few
minutes at the beginning, then skipped to the end.  Are you wrapping RR introductions etc.
around your own sets?  (And if so, couldn't you find some DM or AL intros instead?)

I didn't have time to listen to the whole thing, unfortunately.  I was trying to fix a printing problem
they were having.  (And I have failed so far.  Very strange problem, and very frustrating.)

I'm using RR's introductions and backsells around my sets.  I would use DM and/or AL intros if I
had any to use.  The only DM ones I currently have access to are his infamous "Hits From Hell" sets --
which I may post as a reminder of how things once were.

If you're offering me access to your DM/AL recordings, I'd be happy to start/end my sets with their
voices.  ;)

Out of curiosity, which year did you choose to listen?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 12:23:32 AM by CapnJack »
Tuned to a natural E

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 14, 2013, 12:00:36 AM »
My second visit to 1973 (inspired by RGMike's comments):

1. Beck, Bogert & Appice - Superstition
(Movie: Badlands)
 2. Doug Sahm - (Is Anybody Going To) San Antone
 3. Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee - People Get Ready (ggould, this one's for you!)
(TV: Julie (Andrews) on Sesame Street)
 4. Carpenters - Sing
 5. John Prine - Dear Abby
 6. Donny Hathaway - Love, Love, Love
(TV: Kojak)
 7. Kinky Friedman - Sold American
 8. New York Dolls - Looking For A Kiss
 9. Kevin Johnson - Rock 'N Roll (I Gave You the Best Years of My Life)
(News: Bruce Lee's funeral)
10. Fred Wesley and the JB's - Doing It To Death

https://soundcloud.com/retrocapnjack/25-10-10-1973

FYI, there's a third '73 installment ready to go.  Enjoy!

ETA: new link: http://www.mediafire.com/listen/sq1cko376h9szdz/25_10@10_1973.mp3
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 11:37:45 PM by CapnJack »
Tuned to a natural E

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 14, 2013, 07:42:36 AM »
My second visit to 1973 (inspired by RGMike's comments):

(Movie: Badlands)
 2. Doug Sahm - (Is Anybody Going To) San Antone
 3. Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee - People Get Ready
(TV: Julie (Andrews) on Sesame Street)
 4. Carpenters - Sing
 5. John Prine - Dear Abby
 6. Donny Hathaway - Love, Love, Love
(TV: Kojak)
 7. Kinky Friedman - Sold American
 8. New York Dolls - Looking For A Kiss
(News: Bruce Lee's funeral)
10. Fred Wesley and the JB's - Doing It To Death

https://soundcloud.com/retrocapnjack/25-10-10-1973

cannot wait to listen. This week's "classic" AT40 show is from May '73, and as I've mentioned often, it's a sledgehammery time for me. I'm thrilled to have inspired some of those song choices.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 14, 2013, 08:19:25 AM »

Now *that* was a top of the hour COOKER!
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 14, 2013, 08:43:32 AM »
one of my fave 2 or 3 "shouldabeens" from '73 and it was charting right around this time of year: Albert Hammond, "The Free Electric Band".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvKlUfVb90Y

Seriously, how was this song NOT a hit?

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 14, 2013, 09:19:19 AM »

This would be a great closer to my fantasy "Wanna Be a Rocker" theme set -- eddie money (wanna be a rocker), bowie (star), BTO (rock is my life, this is my song), etc. etc. -- which would be a good one for the R&R Hall of Fame induction day.  Very cool.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 14, 2013, 09:26:13 AM »

This would be a great closer to my fantasy "Wanna Be a Rocker" theme set -- eddie money (wanna be a rocker), bowie (star), BTO (rock is my life, this is my song), etc. etc. -- which would be a good one for the R&R Hall of Fame induction day.  Very cool.

I loved this song back in '73 -- this version (the original) was a big "turntable hit" on NYC prog-FM at the time.  It wasn't until a couple years later that Mac Davis covered it and it became a big hit.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 14, 2013, 09:29:37 AM »

Very nice, Capn'.  Can't wait for the next '73.  Thanks.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 14, 2013, 11:50:44 AM »
"In order for me to get down, I got to get in D"

That was fabulous, truly. Hadn't heard that Kinky Friedman song in decades. The Carpenters literally brought tears to my eyes. I heard the Doug Sahm version of "San Antone" before I ever heard Charley Pride's... and that summer I worked in a department store and a Muzak version of the tune came on and I nearly fainted.

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 14, 2013, 03:42:55 PM »
"In order for me to get down, I got to get in D"

That was fabulous, truly. Hadn't heard that Kinky Friedman song in decades. The Carpenters literally brought tears to my eyes. I heard the Doug Sahm version of "San Antone" before I ever heard Charley Pride's... and that summer I worked in a department store and a Muzak version of the tune came on and I nearly fainted.

I discovered Kinky Friedman back in the late '80s thanks to an interview he did with Alex Bennett on KITS (I think he was plugging a book he wrote at the time).  I first heard the song as covered by Lyle Lovett on a Kinky Friedman tribute CD which was released back in '99.

Glad the set reminded you of '73!
Tuned to a natural E