Author Topic: 10@10: Alternative Takes  (Read 367697 times)

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
Re: 10@10 in general
« Reply #135 on: May 09, 2013, 03:34:29 PM »
Yes, please.

Bro, I really do appreciate your efforts in all this, but you if can leave these things up a little longer, I think more folks might have a chance to check 'em out. Maybe four a week is about the most I can manage.

Alternately, could you perhaps give a day's notice before you pull one down so we might download it to listen at our leisure?  That wouldn't eliminate the need for you to re-upload entirely, but it might cut down on it a bit.  Thanks!!

No problem.  I just had a backlog of sets I wanted to unload, and I got carried away.  I have one more to post tomorrow (1966), then I'll ease up on the posting schedule.
Tuned to a natural E

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 09, 2013, 04:09:15 PM »
nice!  I don't think I remember the Exile version of Heart and Soul....!

I'd heard *of* it but had never heard it until now. Huey's always struck me as a ripoff of Macca (circa "Coming Up"). This is a little less bombastic.

I have one more version of "Heart and Soul" to unleash in (I believe) a 1982 set...
Tuned to a natural E

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 10, 2013, 07:23:17 AM »

I'd heard *of* it but had never heard it until now. Huey's always struck me as a ripoff of Macca (circa "Coming Up"). This is a little less bombastic.

I have one more version of "Heart and Soul" to unleash in (I believe) a 1982 set...

and don't forget T'Pau with the same title/diff song circa '87.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 10, 2013, 07:43:17 AM »

and don't forget T'Pau with the same title/diff song circa '87.

10@10 concept which will never happen: Same Title, Different Song

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 10, 2013, 08:02:29 AM »
It's Friday, time for a '60s set!

My 1966 set:

1. The Supremes - Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart
(News: Tom Jones and his tonsils)
 2. Tom Jones - Begin The Beguine
 3. The Butterfield Blues Band - Mary, Mary
(TV: The Monkees)
 4. The Monkees - Papa Gene's Blues
(Commercial: Vox guitars)
 5. Rolling Stones - Goin' Home
(The Beatles on Radio Caroline)
 6. Beatles - I'm Only Sleeping
 7. Lou Rawls - Love Is A Hurtin' Thing
 8. The Harden Trio - Tippy Toeing
 9. The Temptations - (I Know) I'm Losing You
(Bob Dylan and John Lennon)
10. Bob Dylan - Sad Eyed Lady Of The Lowlands

https://soundcloud.com/capnjack-1/17-10-10-1966

Enjoy!

ETA: Taken down, but you can get it here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?nfrteby8q276l

Direct link: http://www.mediafire.com/listen/gzl0f137hpupcg4/17_10@10_1966.mp3
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 11:40:24 PM by CapnJack »
Tuned to a natural E

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 10, 2013, 11:35:26 AM »
Big kerfuffle going on on the GS board because Renee didn't do a Mothers' Day set today, and another "grand tradition" has been put by the wayside. 

Guess what folks? Dave Morey didn't do a Mothers' Day set between 2000 and his retirement in 2008. So if some big tradition has been sullied, it started way way back in 2010,  which was Annalisa's first Mothers' Day in the driver's seat.
Let's get right to it.

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 10, 2013, 11:41:00 AM »
Big kerfuffle going on on the GS board because Renee didn't do a Mothers' Day set today, and another "grand tradition" has been put by the wayside. 

Guess what folks? Dave Morey didn't do a Mothers' Day set between 2000 and his retirement in 2008. So if some big tradition has been sullied, it started way way back in 2010,  which was Annalisa's first Mothers' Day in the driver's seat.

Renee mentioned that she didn't do a Mothers' Day set because Rosalie has one planned this weekend.
Tuned to a natural E

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 10, 2013, 11:43:29 AM »

Renee mentioned that she didn't do a Mothers' Day set because Rosalie has one planned this weekend.

I hope someone's remembered to tell Rosalie that!
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 10, 2013, 12:58:28 PM »

Yeah, that's all true. I always wondered why Dave didn't do Mom or Dad sets, and was pleased when AL did.  And her Father's Day sets -- especially that one with the requests and dedications -- were great.  We'll never see stuff like that on 10@10 again.  I'm wondering what the Pride Set -- if we even get one -- will sound like.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 11, 2013, 10:07:28 AM »
I've been taking particular attention/care in the late '70s sets (and late '80s), as I've noticed the lack of enthusiasm for them -- especially from dischead.  There is good music from these years -- you just have to make an effort to find them.  :)

I've always said there was good music in every year.  Indeed, somewhat paradoxically, some of
my favorite works have been released in the worst years.  I can cherry-pick ten good songs
that I really like from any year.  However things are different when someone else does the picking.

My access to your sets is currently somewhat circumscribed, which is unfortunate as they sound
interesting.  I assume you are saving your work.  In the future I think the line of improved access
for me will intersect with your finding a service that can host more or all of your files.
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 11, 2013, 10:12:21 AM »

Yeah, that's all true. I always wondered why Dave didn't do Mom or Dad sets, and was pleased when AL did.  And her Father's Day sets -- especially that one with the requests and dedications -- were great.  We'll never see stuff like that on 10@10 again.  I'm wondering what the Pride Set -- if we even get one -- will sound like.

Also note here that last year's Christmas set didn't have the "Foghead greetings" either.  I very
much like those, even though they are for strangers.  The holiday spirit really shines through.

In so many ways it seems like we are now getting "10@10 Lite."
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 11, 2013, 12:56:12 PM »

Since when has GS chosen facts over emotion?  ;)

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 11, 2013, 03:04:11 PM »
I've been taking particular attention/care in the late '70s sets (and late '80s), as I've noticed the lack of enthusiasm for them -- especially from dischead.  There is good music from these years -- you just have to make an effort to find them.  :)

I've always said there was good music in every year.  Indeed, somewhat paradoxically, some of
my favorite works have been released in the worst years.  I can cherry-pick ten good songs
that I really like from any year.  However things are different when someone else does the picking.

My access to your sets is currently somewhat circumscribed, which is unfortunate as they sound
interesting.  I assume you are saving your work.  In the future I think the line of improved access
for me will intersect with your finding a service that can host more or all of your files.

By popular demand, I've decided to share all of the files I have posted (so far) at MediaFire:

http://www.mediafire.com/?nfrteby8q276l

You can download/listen to them at your leisure.  I'll still upload the brand new ones on SoundCloud,
but they will eventually be archived at MediaFire.  I hope you get a chance to hear them, dischead!
Tuned to a natural E

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 11, 2013, 04:40:21 PM »
My 1976 set:

1. Chicago - Once Or Twice
(Movie: Taxi Driver)
 2. Stevie Wonder - Knocks Me Off My Feet
 3. Peter Frampton - It's A Plain Shame
(TV: Alice)
 4. Kiss - Beth
(Commercial: Charlie by Revlon featuring Bobby Short)
 5. Johnnie Taylor - Somebody's Gettin' It
(TV: Jerry Lewis MDA Telethon Dean Martin reunion with Frank Sinatra)
 6. Facts Of Life - Caught In The Act (Of Getting It On)
 7. Rolling Stones with Billy Preston - Melody
(HFH medley: Bay City Rollers - Saturday Night / Starland Vocal Band - Afternoon Delight /
Rick Dees And His Cast Of Idiots - Disco Duck (Part I))
 8. The Tramps - That's Where The Happy People Go
 9. Outlaws - Stick Around For Rock N' Roll
10. Burton Cummings -  You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet

https://soundcloud.com/capnjack-1/37-10-10-1976

Enjoy!

ETA: New link: http://www.mediafire.com/listen/f0p89qa9u681p85/37_10@10_1976.mp3
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 11:39:31 PM by CapnJack »
Tuned to a natural E

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 12, 2013, 08:19:15 PM »

I agree.  Although I'm not thrilled with Renee in general, it seems like she gets smack for every little thing that she does that's different from AL.  I'm not a fan of most theme 10@10's and thought that doubling up on Acoustic Sunrise+10@10 for Mother's Day, Earth Day, etc was overkill.  Every specialty program doesn't need to focus on every holiday.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 08:20:50 PM by radical347 »