Author Topic: 14 Nov 2012: it's... 1976  (Read 5390 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: 14 Nov 2012: it's... 1976
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2012, 12:17:12 PM »
Novermber 14, 2012 - WEDNESDAY!!! Travel with us back to... 1976

1. Boz Scaggs – Lido Shuffle
2. Chicago – If You Leave Me Now
3. ABBA – Dancing Queen
4. Bob Dylan – Hurricane     
5. Rod Stewart – Tonight’s The Night       
6. Warren Zevon – Poor Poor Pitiful Me
7. Wild Cherry – Play that Funky Music
8. Al Stewart – Year of the Cat
9. Genesis – A Trick of the Tail
10. Stevie Wonder – I Wish
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 02:08:42 PM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2012, 02:05:42 PM »
As I said on FB, this seemed to be another stroll thru old Morey and AL set-lists, which appears to be DC's default mode.  Which wouldn't be a terrible method, if he wasn't so dead-set on picking at least 4 tracks each day (and in '90s sets, more than 4) that are so ridiculously overexposed they overshadow the occasional gems. And of course the probability of getting a song we truly have never heard on 10@10 before is quite slim (we've had, what?, 4 bustouts since Renee took over?)

Still, Theme sets have been the saving grace this month -- wonder if we'll get a Thanksgiving "Food Set" and/or "Turkeys" next week.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 02:14:23 PM by RGMike »

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2012, 03:26:05 PM »
As I said on FB, this seemed to be another stroll thru old Morey and AL set-lists, which appears to be DC's default mode.  Which wouldn't be a terrible method, if he wasn't so dead-set on picking at least 4 tracks each day (and in '90s sets, more than 4) that are so ridiculously overexposed they overshadow the occasional gems. And of course the probability of getting a song we truly have never heard on 10@10 before is quite slim (we've had, what?, 4 bustouts since Renee took over?)

Still, Theme sets have been the saving grace this month -- wonder if we'll get a Thanksgiving "Food Set" and/or "Turkeys" next week.

If one were dead-set on having a 'formula' to follow, I'd suggest:

1 overexposed tune that everybody knows
2 songs that were big in their day but we don't hear much from anymore
2 "AAA classics"
3 sorta-hits OR non-format hits
2 true rarities

Using 1999 as an example:

Overexposed hit: "Every Morning"

Songs that received love at the time, not so much anymore: Smash Mouth's "Then The Morning Comes", Robbie Williams' "Millennium"

AAA Classics: Ziggy Marley's "Beautiful Day", Old 97's "Murder (Or A Heart Attack)

sorta-hits/outta format: Khaleel's "No Mercy", TLC's "Unpretty", Beck's "Sexx Laws"

rarities: Remy Zero's "Prophecy", something from REM's "Up" that isn't "Night Swimming", "Daysleeper" or "Lotus". Actually, it would be preferable to pick something truly out of left field, but that's escaping me right now.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 03:29:00 PM by Big Fingers McGee »

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2012, 03:38:56 PM »
rarities: Remy Zero's "Prophecy", something from REM's "Up" that isn't "Night Swimming", "Daysleeper" or "Lotus". Actually, it would be preferable to pick something truly out of left field, but that's escaping me right now.

How about The Tamperer ft. Maya - "If You Buy This Record (Your Life Will Be Better)"?

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2012, 05:34:15 PM »

If one were dead-set on having a 'formula' to follow, I'd suggest:

1 overexposed tune that everybody knows
2 songs that were big in their day but we don't hear much from anymore
2 "AAA classics"
3 sorta-hits OR non-format hits
2 true rarities

Using 1999 as an example:

Overexposed hit: "Every Morning"

Songs that received love at the time, not so much anymore: Smash Mouth's "Then The Morning Comes", Robbie Williams' "Millennium"

AAA Classics: Ziggy Marley's "Beautiful Day", Old 97's "Murder (Or A Heart Attack)

sorta-hits/outta format: Khaleel's "No Mercy", TLC's "Unpretty", Beck's "Sexx Laws"

You're hired!
Slipping into something
And out of something else

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2012, 05:52:56 PM »
I would think that after a year or two finding 2 rarities that you haven't already played would be exhausting.  Plus, you'd end up playing crap that is rare for a reason.

and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2012, 06:44:12 PM »

Didja write your comment on one of them private sites? I looked for it on the scrawny Facebook thread, and it wasn't there. BTW, isn't it great to know what the average salary and price of gas were in each of the years? Crack research staff there. Isn't inflation somethin'?
Slipping into something
And out of something else

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2012, 07:29:10 PM »
I would think that after a year or two finding 2 rarities that you haven't already played would be exhausting.  Plus, you'd end up playing crap that is rare for a reason.

Well, I dunno... after 26 years of Dave Morey, AL managed to find a TON of songs he'd never played.  But a rarity doesn't have to be a bustout, just a lesser-heard song. And "lesser-heard" doesn't mean obscure.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2012, 08:48:14 PM »

Didja write your comment on one of them private sites? I looked for it on the scrawny Facebook thread, and it wasn't there. BTW, isn't it great to know what the average salary and price of gas were in each of the years? Crack research staff there. Isn't inflation somethin'?

I've noticed that too - you'd think they'd vary the "what was it like" theme just a little... ahh who am I kidding?