Author Topic: Local (and other) radio news  (Read 456180 times)

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
Re: Local (and other) radio news
« Reply #1485 on: August 25, 2020, 08:38:23 PM »
96.5 HD-2 Different can now be heard online and has rebranded as...

Highway 1 Radio

I listened for a few hours. A couple notes:
  • They dropped everything pre-80s (not that there was much before) and are focusing a lot more on current music. Probably a good decision as IMO their new music was really the only thing worth tuning into for, their golds were pleasant but pointless
  • New music hour at 1:00 called "Highway 1 Detour"
  • Imaging always pandered to local-ness but they really have taken it up a notch in that regard, especially with the new name.
  • Same can't be said about music selection though (at least at this point); BUT according to their Facebook page they are setting up a submission email where musicians can submit their music to, and are talking about adding a local music show and soliciting names
  • I'm still not sure what they're doing this for, most likely just a passion project

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: August 26, 2020, 02:22:59 PM »
Yesterday the "Highway 1 Detour" was billed as the new music hour, but it looks like they are actually going to do a different theme each today. Today's was live tracks.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: September 05, 2020, 11:19:36 AM »
96.5 HD-2 Different can now be heard online and has rebranded as...

Highway 1 Radio

I listened for a few hours. A couple notes:
  • They dropped everything pre-80s (not that there was much before) and are focusing a lot more on current music. Probably a good decision as IMO their new music was really the only thing worth tuning into for, their golds were pleasant but pointless
  • New music hour at 1:00 called "Highway 1 Detour"
  • Imaging always pandered to local-ness but they really have taken it up a notch in that regard, especially with the new name.
  • Same can't be said about music selection though (at least at this point); BUT according to their Facebook page they are setting up a submission email where musicians can submit their music to, and are talking about adding a local music show and soliciting names
  • I'm still not sure what they're doing this for, most likely just a passion project

SFGate did a piece on them yesterday. Looks like they're serious about making it work.

https://www.sfgate.com/sf-culture/article/New-Bay-Area-radio-station-Highway-1-KFOG-SF-15540998.php
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: October 08, 2020, 03:22:50 PM »
Ohai all. Greg posted a set today on the Pop-Up Patreon: "10@10 from 1978, which includes "Running with the Devil," as a tribute to the late, great Eddie Van Halen who passed away Tuesday at age 65."

He prefaced it with: "Took us a while to dig this up (the cataloging of the archives is done almost entirely by memory)"

Would y'all be ok sharing the Shraydatabase with him? I told him I'd ask.

Thanks!

--Darryl

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: October 20, 2020, 12:26:23 PM »
Fine by me. And I doubt Mr. Shray would have a problem. He'd probably be chuffed.

Ohai all. Greg posted a set today on the Pop-Up Patreon: "10@10 from 1978, which includes "Running with the Devil," as a tribute to the late, great Eddie Van Halen who passed away Tuesday at age 65."

He prefaced it with: "Took us a while to dig this up (the cataloging of the archives is done almost entirely by memory)"

Would y'all be ok sharing the Shraydatabase with him? I told him I'd ask.

Thanks!

--Darryl
Let's get right to it.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: October 27, 2020, 10:15:31 PM »
Yesterday the "Highway 1 Detour" was billed as the new music hour, but it looks like they are actually going to do a different theme each today. Today's was live tracks.

Today’s theme was “New Order vs. Depeche Mode.” Their Depeche Mode picks were the usual LNs, but they actually played a couple of deeper New Order Tracks (Fine Time, Ruined in a Day)

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: January 03, 2021, 12:26:23 AM »
Much to my chagrin, 105.3-HD2 dropped their 80s and 90s based “Classic Live 105” and is now a mostly new alternative channel called “New Arrivals.” (Their HD station has gone back and forth between classic and modern/indie every few years.)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: October 06, 2022, 11:11:41 AM »
RIP KGO Radio. Cumulus pulled the plug this morning. They are "stunting" with songs about money and a repeated tagline of "You Can Bet On It!". New Format starts Monday and word is it's a "sports betting" format. Oh joy.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round