Author Topic: RIP Dick Clark, 82  (Read 1915 times)

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
RIP Dick Clark, 82
« on: April 18, 2012, 01:10:34 PM »
Just heard on the local radio station that the world's oldest teenager has finally checked out.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Dick Clark, 82
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 01:47:59 PM »
I used to listen to Clark when he did the AC-based "Countdown America". Obviously, he was past his prime by that point, but still an enjoyable listen. I only wish he had known to hang it up after his stroke (his New Years Countdowns from that point on were painful to watch).

RIP

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 04:48:18 PM »
RIP Dick.  He was so impaired.
http://tv.yahoo.com/news/dick-clark-dead-at-82.html
Death is inevitable.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 01:51:01 PM »
Meant to post this last week but my fave Dick Clark memory has nothing to do with Bandstand. In 1967 there was a short-lived CBS drama series called Coronet Blue -- it revolved around a guy with amnesia who was trying to find out who he was.  The only words he remembered were "coronet blue". It was clearly modeled after the Fugitive (wrongly convicted guy) and Run For Your Life (dying guy). Anyway, in one episode the lead character ends up in LA and meets a shady rock'n'roll manager played against type by... Dick Clark!  The guy's top artist had been killed in a car wreck and Clark's character has been getting rich releasing singles "from the vaults". The big reveal halfway thru is that the artist isn't dead -- Clark has him imprisoned in a basement, forcing him at gunpoint to record new songs! Mind you, this was years before the deaths of Elvis or Jim Morrison (not to mention Tupac), who of course were rumored to be still alive for years.

I've never forgotten that show, tho' it aired only once.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round