Author Topic: Friday August 5, 2005 -- it's 1970!  (Read 13850 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Friday August 5, 2005 -- it's 1970!
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2005, 10:57:10 AM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
Quote from: "Beej"
GAH! Stupid internet cut out on me during the back-announce. The Crows?

yeah! i don't remember the song title, but i liked it.

Sorry to be tardy -- %#@!! 10:00 meeting.

was that Crow (in which case it was either "Evil Woman" or "Cottage Cheese") or was it Stone the Crows?
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2005, 11:01:34 AM »
I believe it was The Crows- "Cottage Cheese". Cool tune. Never heard it before.
nakes? On my plane?

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
GAMH
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2005, 11:14:30 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
I won tix for a show at the GAMH on Annalisa's My 3 Songs yesterday.  Geoff you want to go?  We could get an extra for your wife no doubt.

Thanks for the invite, but I'll be camping at Portola Redwoods SP this weekend!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2005, 11:15:08 AM »
Quote from: "Beej"
I believe it was The Crows- "Cottage Cheese". Cool tune. Never heard it before.

that's Crow.  "Cottage Cheese" is an obscurity but Dave's hauled it out on more than a few occasions.  A Narada to me, I was listening to prog FM pretty heavily in 1970 and I dion't remember hearing it then.

Bonus track: "Ripple".

off to CGSS!

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Wilbert Harrison
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2005, 11:16:54 AM »
Quote from: "urth"
But who did that version of Let's Work Together? If it was Canned Heat, it wasn't the version I'm used to hearing.
Betcha it was Wilbert Harrison, but I can't say for sure.
Well done, pard--it was indeed Mr. Harrison. Very cool!

My addled memory out here is that the Wilbert Harrison original was a pretty big hit, and Canned Heat's cover (and I liked Canned Heat) was just that, a cover.  I had no idea it was bigger.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Bonus track: "Ripple"
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2005, 11:21:34 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Bonus track: "Ripple"

As much as I love this song, I never think of 1970 when I hear it.  It seems so out of place amidst the other songs.  Perhaps it's because the song has grown on me so much over the years, it's not about 1970 to me.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Wilbert Harrison
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2005, 11:35:31 AM »
Quote from: "ggould"
But who did that version of Let's Work Together? If it was Canned Heat, it wasn't the version I'm used to hearing.
Betcha it was Wilbert Harrison, but I can't say for sure.
Well done, pard--it was indeed Mr. Harrison. Very cool!

My addled memory out here is that the Wilbert Harrison original was a pretty big hit, and Canned Heat's cover (and I liked Canned Heat) was just that, a cover.  I had no idea it was bigger.

interestingly, neither was huge, but it was Canned Heat who charted slightly higher:

Canned Heat #26; Harrison #32

I remember the Harrison version getting more airplay, including Top 40 play in NYC.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2005, 12:34:54 PM »
Damn, quiet here today for a '70 set--just me and Beej so far, and we're into the 4th tune--oh well.

Hey--I just hit 1100 posts.

Cool.

(With apologies to Mshray and Beej.)

I was here in spirit. No privacy to log in.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2005, 10:26:12 PM »
Listening to the replay. Safe to say this was a new set that Dave recorded ahead of time, and not a "classic"?  I cannot recall him playing the Wilbert Harrison version of "Let's Work Together" in ages (or "in yonks" as Greg would say on CGSS).

BOS (tie): Macca, "Every Night" and BS&T "Lucretia McEvil" ('cause she just so damn BAD -- and so is Dave for truncating it. Sounds like it's off vinyl too).

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2005, 10:29:20 PM »
BOS to Sesame Street, I say.  Although I wasn't born until '72, this show was *hugely* influential on me, along with the Electric Company and Really Rosie w/ Chicken Soup.  I've said it before, and I'll say it again: The '70s were the golden age of children's education.

BOS2 to "Stoned Love," atcha.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2005, 10:29:29 PM »
ah, but Dave makes up for cutting "Lucretia" short by giving us the looong version of "Stoned Love"!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2005, 10:31:14 PM »
ah, but Dave makes up for cutting "Lucretia" short by giving us the looong version of "Stoned Love"!

So what was the general feeling about the Supremes' prospects post-Diana when this and "Up the Ladder to the Roof" came out?  Had people written the band off?  These still made Top 10 or close, but I never heard them until I was in my mid 20s.  Wondering what the Supremes were seen as in '70-'71.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2005, 10:36:30 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
BOS to Sesame Street, I say.  Although I wasn't born until '72, this show was *hugely* influential on me, along with the Electric Company and Really Rosie w/ Chicken Soup.  I've said it before, and I'll say it again: The '70s were the golden age of children's education.

But did Sesame St really have the effect it was supposed to have? All those kids (especially poor/minority kids) who were supposed to go to school with a head start at reading -- did they? I've never heard of any study that was done.  Seems like nothing really changed.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2005, 10:42:23 PM »

So what was the general feeling about the Supremes' prospects post-Diana when this and "Up the Ladder to the Roof" came out?  Had people written the band off?  These still made Top 10 or close, but I never heard them until I was in my mid 20s.  Wondering what the Supremes were seen as in '70-'71.

I think folks were pleasantly surprised -- remember, Diana's solo debut, "Reach Out and Touch (Somebody's Hand)" peaked at #20 and was considered a stumble, which is why they pulled out all the stops for "Ain't No Mountain".  Whereas "Up the Ladder" and "Stoned Love" were considered proof that Motown still had the stuff (or at least capable writer/producers).

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2005, 10:49:56 PM »

But did Sesame St really have the effect it was supposed to have? All those kids (especially poor/minority kids) who were supposed to go to school with a head start at reading -- did they? I've never heard of any study that was done.  Seems like nothing really changed.

It did for me, but then, I was very precocious.  (Impatient to wait for school, I taught myself the times-tables when I was 4.)  My gut feeling is that the show intended for parents to use it as a springboard to their own educating efforts, but parents opted to let the TV be a *replacement of* their teaching rather than an *adjunct to* it.