Author Topic: 6 Feb 2012: it's... 1999  (Read 6279 times)

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
Re: 6 Feb 2012: it's... 1999
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2012, 10:44:36 AM »
Counting Crows.  Where's the hacky sack?

you can't spell Crows without ________.

Tee hee!  You can't spell Hacky Sack without hack.  Um, is this the longest song ever or what???

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2012, 10:44:51 AM »
I'll just add that "Maria" may be one of the few 10@10 entries of recent vintage for which the necessary grade will exceed the quality grade:

A-/A

I agree with that.   I might even give it a B.
~CPL593H~

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2012, 10:46:29 AM »
Counting Crows.  Where's the hacky sack?

you can't spell Crows without ________.

Tee hee!  You can't spell Hacky Sack without hack.  Um, is this the longest song ever or what???

who's Mrs Potter?  this guy?

~CPL593H~

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2012, 11:00:49 AM »
OMG, she played Blondie and Bree Sharp!  ;D  I haven't heard either of those in ages.  Thanks RGMike for your perseverance. ;)  Maybe we'll actually get Cher next time.

+1 for the playing the full version of Mrs. Potter's Lullaby.

A few bustouts, a few pop smashes, a few AAA standards, a few alt. AL faves, a few Katrinas, and a few absolutely horrible tracks.  If anything, then maybe a few too many repeats but this seems like a solid '99 set.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 11:03:27 AM by radical347 »

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2012, 11:12:39 AM »
The first four tracks after 10@10 today look like the playlist of one of the new breed of "Click" stations (Hot AC/Alternative hybrids, or their largely expired predecessors, Modern AC's):

Maroon 5 - Harder to Breathe
Bush - The Sound of Winter
The MMB - The Impression That I Get
The Temper Trap - Sweet Disposition

& now here's Gotye, which doesn't break the streak.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2012, 12:06:56 PM »
just listened AGAIN to this set, and except for the RHCP song, which is meh,  I enjoyed it. 

Even the Counting Crows, which are popular punching bags 'Round Here (see what I did there?) sounded good.    And the Old 97s song is irresistable, as is Len, too.    I need my regular daily diet of pop hooks.  And the Sarah McLaughlin song, which at first listen was boring into my skull like a dull drill, got an appreciative thumbs up b/c of all the girls in the audience at the live recording.  No, not in a sleazy way, but it was sorta affirming to hear them go nuts for a female performer.  Let's just hope they would also go that crazy for a rocker like Deb Harry.

The Office Space and X-Files quotes were well-chosen, too. 

You think I might be turning a corner from CrankyPants Avenue to Resigned-and-Helpless Boulevard?  :)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 12:11:02 PM by Tinka Cat »
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2012, 12:22:17 PM »
just listened AGAIN to this set, and except for the RHCP song, which is meh,  I enjoyed it. 

Even the Counting Crows, which are popular punching bags 'Round Here (see what I did there?) sounded good.    And the Old 97s song is irresistable, as is Len, too.    I need my regular daily diet of pop hooks.  And the Sarah McLaughlin song, which at first listen was boring into my skull like a dull drill, got an appreciative thumbs up b/c of all the girls in the audience at the live recording.  No, not in a sleazy way, but it was sorta affirming to hear them go nuts for a female performer.  Let's just hope they would also go that crazy for a rocker like Deb Harry.

You think I might be turning a corner from CrankyPants Avenue to Resigned-and-Helpless Boulevard?  :)

well, here's the thing (and lawd knows I'm grateful and gobsmacked for the 2 bustout-y requests): Our last '99 set in Nov was a rerun from Aug, and the Len, Old '97s and SmashMouth tunes were in that set.  Our only other recent '99 set was in Oct, so that means we've heard those tunes 3 out of the last 4 times. That's unforgiveable no matter how good the rest of the set was, but hey, it's the DC way.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2012, 12:36:57 PM »

well, here's the thing . . .

RGMike in the role of the Most Crankiest Man in the World: "Stay cranky my friend."
Slipping into something
And out of something else

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2012, 12:37:56 PM »

well, here's the thing (and lawd knows I'm grateful and gobsmacked for the 2 bustout-y requests): Our last '99 set in Nov was a rerun from Aug, and the Len, Old '97s and SmashMouth tunes were in that set.  Our only other recent '99 set was in Oct, so that means we've heard those tunes 3 out of the last 4 times. That's unforgiveable no matter how good the rest of the set was, but hey, it's the DC way.

yeah, the lack of variety truly blows, no doubt about that.  When she back announced the set, AL started off by  saying "Foghead favorite band, The Old 97s, MOAHA wrapping up time spent in 1999." 

So if it's a "Foghead favorite," *shudder* they will jam it into 10at10 anyway they can.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2012, 12:45:16 PM »

well, here's the thing . . .

RGMike in the role of the Most Crankiest Man in the World: "Stay cranky my friend."

Bwahahaha!  "I don't always complain about radio, but when I do... I complain about 10@10"
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2012, 01:10:21 PM »
Bwahahaha!  "I don't always complain about radio, ..."

Uhhhh, ahem.... ;)
Let's get right to it.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2012, 01:41:08 PM »
02/06/12 - Monday! A Case of "the Moandays" in... 1999!

(Intro: Office Space- "Somebody's got a case of the Moandays")
 1. Stone Temple Pilots - Sour Girl
(Movie: Office Space - Nina (Kinna McInroe) in Accounts Payable: "*JUST* a moment!")
 2. Blondie - Maria
 3. Sarah McLachlan - Ice Cream
 4. Len - Steal My Sunshine
(Movie: Office Space - Peter (Ron Livingston) to Bob & Bob: "I'd say in a given week I probably only do about 15 minutes of real, actual....work")
 5. Smash Mouth - All Star
(TV: Promo - X-files "Full Disclosure" - "5 years of questions, 2 Sundays of answers!")
 6. Bree Sharp - David Duchovny
(TV: The X-Files - Agent Mulder (David Duchovny) is looking for a cemetery in town, "the creepier the
better")
 7. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication
(TV: The X-Files - Mulder: "Sometimes it just gets hard to smile through it when they ask you to bend down and grab your ankles")
 8. Blur - Coffee & TV
(TV: Daily Show - Jon Stewart on the upcoming impeachment trial of President Clinton)
 9. Counting Crows - Mrs. Potter's Lullaby (B.O.S-Tie!)
10. Old 97's - Murder (Or a Heart Attack) (B.O.S-Tie!)

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2012, 08:36:11 PM »
All of these except STP and Old 97's were on Hits 106's playlist. 

1999 was the first year of my weekly/yearly charts! :D 
Here's how this set's songs did on my year end top 100:

"Maria" #11
"Steal My Sunshine" #27 (#21 for 2000)
"All Star" #30
"David Duchovny" #65
"Mrs. Potter's Lullaby" N/a (but #6 for 2000)

& now, the Radical Ratings:

Good:
A: Counting Crows, Blondie, Len, Stone Temple Pilots
B: Smash Mouth, Bree Sharp, Blur
C: Old 97's
D: Red Hot Chili Peppers
F: Sarah McLesbian

Necessary:
A: Blondie, Bree Sharp, Stone Temple Pilots
B: Counting Crows (The Counting Crows by definition cannot get an A for necessary.  But it's the next highest, because this is my favorite song from them, by far, and KFOG doesn't play it too much anymore.)
C: Red Hot Chili Peppers, Sarah McLesbian (Its appearance wasn't as unnecessary so much as the releaseexistence of this version, in my opinion, but considering how many times the other songs in this set have been repeated, it's hard to give it lower than those), Smash Mouth, Len (I'm giving these two C's because even though they have too many 10@10 spins, they brighten up things up), Blur
D: Old 97's (I'm even going a little lenient on this one because it did tie for BOS.  That and generic AAA songs from that era weren't overrepresented in the set.  But next time I probably won't be so nice.)

Here's a rundown of the seven (including the repeat, marked with *) '99 sets so far:

5 ( ::) )
*Old 97's - Murder (or a Heart Attack)

*Len- Steal My Sunshine
*Filter- Take A Picture

Ben Harper- Burn To Shine
Moby & Gwen Stefani - Southside
Blur - Coffee & TV
*Foo Fighters - Learn to Fly
*Fatboy Slim- Praise You
*Smash Mouth - All Star

Sting- Brand New Day
Guster- Barrel Of A Gun
Sinead Lohan- Whatever It Takes
Travis- Why Does It Always Rain On Me
*Euphoria- Delirium
*Ben Harper - Steal My Kisses (+1 in 2000)
*Eagle Eye Cherry- Save Tonight
*Sixpence None The Richer- Kiss Me

Santana - Maria, Maria
Santana feat Dave Matthews- Love Of My Life
Santana - (Da Le) Yaleo
G. Love & Special Sauce/Jack Johnson - Rodeo Clowns
Pearl Jam - Last Kiss (also heard in Dave's remakes from hell set :X)
Lou Bega - Mambo # 5 (A Little Bit...)
Lenny Kravitz - American Woman
Collective Soul- Run
Pretenders- Pop Star
Pretenders - Human
Moby- Porcelain
Ziggy Marley & the Melody Makers- Beautiful Day
Widespread Panic- Bears Gone Fishin'
Macy Gray- I Try
Loudon Wainwright III - Y2K
Bruce Cockburn - The Last Night of the World
Tom Waits - Hold On
Stone Temple Pilots - Sour Girl
Blondie - Maria
Bree Sharp - David Duchovny
Sarah McLesbian - Ice Cream (Live)
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication
Counting Crows - Mrs. Potter's Lullaby

So aside from the three offenders and Blur, the remaining six were bustouts, Blondie and BS being highly above average ones.  I can live with that.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 08:41:33 PM by radical347 »