Author Topic: KPOO etc week of 1/23/12  (Read 3413 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
KPOO etc week of 1/23/12
« on: January 24, 2012, 08:07:02 AM »
still more Etta and Johnny Otis on JJ's show today. "Stop the Wedding" rules! As does Etta's distaff Otis cover, "Miss Pitiful", which is NTM.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 08:27:16 AM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: KPOO etc week of 1/23/12
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 08:31:07 AM »
that Jimmy Castor Hey Leroy (1964) was a nice Latin-flavored groove, punctuated by his trademark jokey cartoonish call outs: 

-Hey Leroy!
-Wha..?
-Your mama's calling you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vMKtLCB-XQ
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 09:01:11 AM »
that Jimmy Castor Hey Leroy (1964) was a nice Latin-flavored groove, punctuated by his trademark jokey cartoonish call outs: 

-Hey Leroy!
-Wha..?
-Your mama's calling you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vMKtLCB-XQ

one of the classic New York records -- peaked at #31 nationally but was a Top Ten smash in NYC in early '67, back when "regional hit" was a common thing.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 01:05:06 PM »
Gotta say again that this WDAS Philly stream is a delightful find

http://www.iheart.com/#/live/3405/?autoplay=true

I was worried it would be your typical "Kiss-FM"-like soul stream with the same 300 songs over and over but they continue to surprise me with  relatively rare stuff -- just now, the Tops' "That's the way Nature Planned it" followed by the Impressions' "The Woman's Got Soul".  And unlike the Boardwalk, the player has a title-and-artist printout.

ETA: technical glitch of the day: WDAS is playing the Spinners, "Living a Little, Laughing a Little" (another welcome rarity) but the readout says "Cover You in Oil" by AC/DC (!)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 01:38:54 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 01:48:26 PM »
paging Geoff: the Chambers Bros cover of "Can't Turn You Loose" -- can't remember the last time I heard this version.

per Wiki: same bassline as Booker T's "Time is Tight" -- Steve Cropper admits "Can't Turn You Loose" inspired "T is T".
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 01:51:01 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 08:51:50 AM »
2NG's retro-chart is 1978 today. if it's as interesting as I expect I may take a pass on AL's 1987.

delightful surprise 1: Boz's underappreciated "Hollywood" -- which is quite similar to a couple of Andrea True hits, actually.

wow: Jonathan Richman appears TWICE -- the Modern Lovers doing "Morning of Our Lives" and JR solo with "Egyptian Reggae". That's 2 more hits than he ever had in the US.

eeek: those wacky Brits love them some crappy godawful Euro-disco. Baccara's "Sorry, I'm a Lady" and worst-group-evah Boney M's "Belfast" share WOS honors so far.

Holee crap: Carl "Kung Fu Fighting" Douglas made a disco comeback in '78? who knew?

Holee crap too: Fitzgerald & Keeley's "If I had Words", a reggae-fied version of St-Saens Symphony #3, was a hit in '77? I know it from the movie Babe!

proxy of Gaz: War's underheard "Galaxy."

Bwahahaha! BOS the Muppets/Miss Piggy , who had an EP on the chart in '78.

WOS3: more Eurocrap disco, "Figaro" by Brotherhood of Man, who should be ashamed.

OMGWTFLOL: Julie Covington of "Evita" fame, covering "Only Women Bleed" (!!) Amazingly, it works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcwSVKxwOoI

uber-BOS2 Donna Summer's fab Phil Spector hommage, "Love's Unkind" which wasn't even a single in the States.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 10:42:17 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 11:52:00 AM »
more wonderful rarities from WDAS: Tavares' stellar cover of "She's Gone" -- pretty much unknown to white audiences but a #1 Soul single in '74.