Author Topic: 13 Jan 2012: it's... 1974!  (Read 17737 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: 13 Jan 2012: it's... 1974!
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2012, 10:21:29 AM »
Leadoff BOS (and my request too!).
Kool & Gang opening for Van Halen this year: http://promo.livenation.com/vanhalen/
I remarked on a friend's FB page that that would be akin to LeAnn Rimes opening for Metallica. Completely inappropriate. Promoters milking it.
Could be interesting as long as they stick with the funk and avoid marshmallow like "Joanna" and "Cherish"

I'm just wondering what sort of demographic (aside from oddballs like us) would actually enjoy seeing both of those bands on the same stage on the same night.

I'd guess there are more women than men who appreciate both acts. Rock-loving guys tend to hate everything else (see: Fred P).

BOS "Diamond Dogs".
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2012, 10:21:35 AM »
I'll give Diamond Dogs a BOS, even though it's not a great Bowie song. Seems bust-out-y to me.
"Play the tape machine, make the toast and tea"

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2012, 10:22:03 AM »
If you can't beat 'em join 'em department: I'm liking and exclamation pointing like crazy over on FB; I even posted on the morning roll call!

but are you on fire yet? have the knife between your teeth? (JF is absent today so somebody's gotta take up the slack)

"AL, you are KILLING US!!!"

How's that?

I got three quick likes and a "no DOUBT!" post!
Slipping into something
And out of something else

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2012, 10:22:29 AM »
Yeah, I want a hit record too, but what I *really* wanted were Hits From Hell!

I'll predict that we get one anyway - "Seasons in the Sun," mayhaps?

Hope you're all well!  I've been disenchanted with and disengaged from AL's sets in recent weeks, but I'm here today.
Hi Gazooooo  :)

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2012, 10:22:35 AM »
Kool & Gang opening for Van Halen this year: http://promo.livenation.com/vanhalen/
I remarked on a friend's FB page that that would be akin to LeAnn Rimes opening for Metallica. Completely inappropriate. Promoters milking it.
Could be interesting as long as they stick with the funk and avoid marshmallow like "Joanna" and "Cherish"
I'm just wondering what sort of demographic (aside from oddballs like us) would actually enjoy seeing both of those bands on the same stage on the same night.
Oddballs like me. 
Anyone remember when K&tG did a free lunchtime show in Justin Herman Plaza about 10 or 15 yrs ago?

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2012, 10:23:05 AM »
I've been disenchanted with and disengaged from AL's sets in recent weeks, but I'm here today.

Can't blame ya, man. A lot of stinkers lately. Today's all right, though, frequent fliers, notwithstanding.
Slipping into something

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2012, 10:23:35 AM »
AB has confirmed that AL is indeed on fire. At least he's gotten away from liking his own posts.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2012, 10:23:53 AM »
Yeah, I want a hit record too, but what I *really* wanted were Hits From Hell!

I'll predict that we get one anyway - "Seasons in the Sun," mayhaps?

Hope you're all well!  I've been disenchanted with and disengaged from AL's sets in recent weeks, but I'm here today.

we've missed ya, bub. But you haven't missed much of anything, set-wise. HFHs is dead dead dead as far as being a 10@10 theme-trope., sadly.

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2012, 10:24:54 AM »
If you can't beat 'em join 'em department: I'm liking and exclamation pointing like crazy over on FB; I even posted on the morning roll call!

but are you on fire yet? have the knife between your teeth? (JF is absent today so somebody's gotta take up the slack)

How's that?

Oh s**t! Rockin' Elton! The knife is out from in between the teeth and has slit the throat! (I'm using that line on FB)
Slipping into something

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2012, 10:25:03 AM »

I think it would be a good show.  Why not?  I can find stuff to like from both bands.  It's unusual, but it's like skipping around the radio dial.  I listen to both the Bone AND  98.1 KISS. Don't we all?

confession:  the flutter in the Diamond Dogs production has always annoyed me
~CPL593H~

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2012, 10:25:06 AM »
I dunno... "Joanna" and "Jump" were both big when I was 13, so it's possible they're targeting me.

Well, that answers my question. Thanks. :) I was 7, and definitely fall in that target group. But can there really be enough people to finance a concert?

I'm guessing that most VH fans would at least tolerate Kool, as long as, as was previously mentioned, "Cherish" is avoided.

I can't bring that tune to mind. It must be awful. :)

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2012, 10:26:10 AM »

How's that?

You guys are KILLING me!
Sharks bleed teal.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2012, 10:26:19 AM »
I dunno... "Joanna" and "Jump" were both big when I was 13, so it's possible they're targeting me.

Well, that answers my question. Thanks. :) I was 7, and definitely fall in that target group. But can there really be enough people to finance a concert?

I'm guessing that most VH fans would at least tolerate Kool, as long as, as was previously mentioned, "Cherish" is avoided.

I'll let you Google it, but I refuse to provide a link.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2012, 10:27:04 AM »
Same here, nice we're all here on Friday the 13th.  The Bitch Is Back!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 10:29:04 AM by Wayback »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2012, 10:27:39 AM »

"and if you received your calling
before I awake
would I make it thruuuu the niiiiight?"

BOS2 EJ -- "Bitch" is still one of his great rockers" and thank gawd we avoided "Bennie"