Author Topic: I'm tryin' to tell you somethin' 'bout my life  (Read 263875 times)

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: I'm tryin' to tell you somethin' 'bout my life
« Reply #735 on: February 23, 2012, 10:03:37 PM »
I found out that an old friend of mine was murdered walking in the Castro Saturday night.  He told his partner that he needed to pick up some meds at Walgreen's and never came back.  His partner got worried after a while and called around to the hospitals thinking he got hit by a car or something.  A few hours later he got a call to I.D. the body.   :'( The police have someone in custody and said that he wasn't shot or stabbed, but said it was an ongoing investigation and couldn't say much else. 

He was also violently attacked 4 years ago on Valencia by a group of kids who took his watch and cell phone.  He was a sweetheart and I'm just crushed by this.  Be careful out there, kids.
Sorry. Life can be just awful.
eta...1969 and YouTube aren't making me feel so good anymore.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 10:17:24 PM by Alicat »
Sharks bleed teal.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: February 24, 2012, 12:45:57 AM »
I found out that an old friend of mine was murdered walking in the Castro Saturday night.  He told his partner that he needed to pick up some meds at Walgreen's and never came back.  His partner got worried after a while and called around to the hospitals thinking he got hit by a car or something.  A few hours later he got a call to I.D. the body.   :'( The police have someone in custody and said that he wasn't shot or stabbed, but said it was an ongoing investigation and couldn't say much else. 

He was also violently attacked 4 years ago on Valencia by a group of kids who took his watch and cell phone.  He was a sweetheart and I'm just crushed by this.  Be careful out there, kids.

I'm so sorry to hear this about your friend...just awful :(

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: February 24, 2012, 08:38:45 AM »

I was on 16th street yesterday and walked near Julian, but I didn't go down the street (because of time constraints). I was wondering if here was a memorial set up there for Richard.  It's so disturbing and sad. 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 06:54:37 PM by sundaygal »
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: February 24, 2012, 08:50:26 AM »

I was on 16th street yesterday and walked near Julian, but I didn't go down the street (because of time constraints). I was wondering if here was a memorial set up there for Richard.  It's so disturbing and sad.

I haven't seen one -- I looked in front of the building (125 Julien). Lots of "Did you see anything" flyers around the 'hood tho'.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 06:54:20 PM by sundaygal »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: February 24, 2012, 07:01:23 PM »

Thanks guys.  They're having a memorial service in his hometown in Washington state.  Here's his obit:

P.S. I'm not a fan of editing other people's posts, but I deleted Rick's surname in the previous posts since there is an ongoing police investigation and this thread is searchable via the internet.  Sorry guys.   :-[

Survived by father Neil, stepmother Dorothy, siblings Debi, Bob, & Gayle, and Life Partner of almost 20 years David. A graduate of Inglemoor High School he later in life decided to pursue one of his many passions and received a Graduate Gemologist Degree from the Gemological of Institute of America (GIA), where he was also Certified as an Accredited Jewelry Professional. Beloved son, brother, spouse, uncle, and friend. Taken at the age of 47 in San Francisco. Richard’s passion for life and animals made him the beautiful person he was. He had worked as a Jewelry Professional for Neiman Marcus. In lieu of flowers please make donations to PAWS or Victims of Violent Crimes. Services being held at Emanuel Presbyterian Church 3/3/12 at 2pm. 

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: February 25, 2012, 09:30:07 AM »
P.S. I'm not a fan of editing other people's posts, but I deleted Rick's surname in the previous posts since there is an ongoing police investigation and this thread is searchable via the internet.  Sorry guys.   :-[

No problem.  Makes sense to keep things as low key as possible here.
~CPL593H~

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: February 26, 2012, 04:07:12 PM »

I haven't seen one -- I looked in front of the building (125 Julien). Lots of "Did you see anything" flyers around the 'hood tho'.

They set up a small memorial in front of the church on Julian yesterday.

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
Slipping into something
And out of something else

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: February 28, 2012, 08:25:11 AM »
http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/2012/02/san-francisco-hasn-t-been-kind-him

The city has changed so much since I was a kid here.  As a teenager, I used to run around the Mission at all hours of the night.  Maybe I was naive, or maybe I knew the right people.  Probably both.  But, we natives always had each other's back.  If someone is screaming out to call 911, even if he looked wasted or homeless, don't shut your doors and windows and pretend you're back in the suburbs and nothing is going on outside.  Do something.  It's the city, yo.  Bad shit happens here.  We've gotta look out for each other.

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: February 28, 2012, 11:33:46 AM »
http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/2012/02/san-francisco-hasn-t-been-kind-him

The city has changed so much since I was a kid here.  As a teenager, I used to run around the Mission at all hours of the night.  Maybe I was naive, or maybe I knew the right people.  Probably both.  But, we natives always had each other's back.  If someone is screaming out to call 911, even if he looked wasted or homeless, don't shut your doors and windows and pretend you're back in the suburbs and nothing is going on outside.  Do something.  It's the city, yo.  Bad shit happens here.  We've gotta look out for each other.

Yeah, there was an editorial in the Examiner published around the same time as the feature that made the same point (but not as well because they dithered about safety nets and whatnot). Here it is.

http://www.sfexaminer.com/opinion/editorials/2012/02/death-street-shows-dark-side-life-san-francisco
Slipping into something
And out of something else

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: March 09, 2012, 10:14:34 AM »
Sadly, my softball team has officially disbanded.  No more games on Thursday nights.  It sucks getting old (basically, team members (all in their mid-50s) have been retiring in a trickle over the last 5 years, and we started having difficulty feilding a competitive team last year).

RIP, Topeca.   :'(
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: March 09, 2012, 10:22:07 AM »
Sadly, my softball team has officially disbanded.  No more games on Thursday nights.  It sucks getting old (basically, team members (all in their mid-50s) have been retiring in a trickle over the last 5 years, and we started having difficulty feilding a competitive team last year).

RIP, Topeca.   :'(

there's always shuffleboard!  Yeah, it sucks to get old.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: March 11, 2012, 12:54:19 PM »
Here's why I have been so absent lately: www.fastorsystems.com

I'll try to catch you all up on stuff better in the near future.

luv to all,
Mark
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: March 11, 2012, 01:17:40 PM »

luv to all,
Mark

Click on "About Us" for a pic! Good to hear from you!

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: March 11, 2012, 02:22:41 PM »

luv to all,
Mark

Ooooh, solid state drives.  One of our other developers got one for his dev machine and Visual Studio 2010 (which just a pig) runs like crazy now.  The difference is night and day.  I need one bad.  I'm sure your enterprise level drives are a bit more advanced, but that sector IS booming!

Anyway, good to hear from you bud, and good luck!
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing