Author Topic: 2 Dec 2011: it's... 1976  (Read 13961 times)

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: 2 Dec 2011: it's... 1976
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2011, 10:41:44 AM »
The Eagles give Steve Miller a run for least necessary.

I actually haven't burned out on "More Than A Feeling" (I can't remember the last time I heard it on the radio), and it still sounds good, so it's out of the running for least necessary in my book.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2011, 10:46:16 AM »
'76 The birth of punk!  Hey Ho Let's Go!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 10:47:53 AM by Wayback »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2011, 10:46:40 AM »
BOS6 Ramones, altho' it probably qualifies as being as overplayed as any Eagles tune at this point.  But it's, like, 1/3 as long as "New Kid..."
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 10:48:25 AM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2011, 10:47:19 AM »
And apparently I have grossly underestimated Foghead love for the Eagles. Now that's what I call snooze rock (with a couple of exceptions).

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2011, 10:49:55 AM »
overall, best set of week.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2011, 10:50:10 AM »
And the followup song is "Into The Great Wide Open".  >:(

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2011, 10:52:42 AM »
And the followup song is "Into The Great Wide Open".  >:(

Okay by me!   ;)
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2011, 10:53:08 AM »
And apparently I have grossly underestimated Foghead love for the Eagles. Now that's what I call snooze rock (with a couple of exceptions).

it's not possible to underestimate Foghead love of ANYTHING. The comments on FB make my head explode on a daily basis. Particularly the "I haven't heard this in AGES!!" swoons over songs that 105.7/the Bone/K-Fox all play 27 times a week.  I guess these people really listen to KFOG 24/7?

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2011, 11:31:27 AM »

it's not possible to underestimate Foghead love of ANYTHING. The comments on FB make my head explode on a daily basis. Particularly the "I haven't heard this in AGES!!" swoons over songs that 105.7/the Bone/K-Fox all play 27 times a week.  I guess these people really listen to KFOG 24/7?

or maybe they don't have the same finely-tuned radio nerd sense that we have.  Many folks don't give a care as much as we do about these kinds of things.  They might like 10at10 b/c it is (or was?) awesome, but other than that they play their ipods or listen to KOIT at work, etc.

~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2011, 12:21:17 PM »

or maybe they don't have the same finely-tuned radio nerd sense that we have.  Many folks don't give a care as much as we do about these kinds of things.  They might like 10at10 b/c it is (or was?) awesome, but other than that they play their ipods or listen to KOIT at work, etc.

you're absolutely right, of course -- but that doesn't make me any less sad about the state of radio-and-music literacy.  Folks like that are the majority and that's why DC can get away with dumbing things down because "most listeners won't even notice".

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2011, 03:06:01 PM »
12/02/11 - Friday! All Over the Dial in... 1976!!
 1. KC and the Sunshine Band - I'm Your Boogie Man
(Movie: - Network - "I want all of you to get up out of your chairs!")
 2. James Brown - Get Up Offa That Thing  (B.O.S-3 Way Tie!)
(Movie: - Network - "I'M AS MAD AS HELL AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!!")
 3. Boston - More Than a Feeling
 4. The Rolling Stones - Memory Motel
(TV: SNL - The Godfather in therapy - "Oh God, Vito - I think you're blocking...")
 5. Elvin Bishop - Fooled Around and Fell in Love
(Ad: Plymouth Volare)
 6. Johnny Cash - One Piece at a Time (B.O.S-3 Way Tie!)
 7. Steve Miller Band - Take the Money and Run
(TV: Wonder Woman theme)
 8. Blondie - In the Flesh (B.O.S-3 Way Tie!)
 9. Eagles - New Kid in Town
(News: The Bicentennial, Jimmy Carter becomes the Democratic candidate for President)
10. The Ramones - Blitzkrieg Bop

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2011, 04:56:14 PM »

you're absolutely right, of course -- but that doesn't make me any less sad about the state of radio-and-music literacy.  Folks like that are the majority and that's why DC can get away with dumbing things down because "most listeners won't even notice".

I completely agree with everything expressed above. But that said, I am heartened to see that the three songs that tied for BOS are the biggest rarities of the set and the ones that are most deserving, imo (JB, Johnny, and Blondie). So either there are a few more fogheads than we think who are of similar opinions to ours (or mine anyway), or AL is stuffing the ballot box. :)

Was very pleased to see Memory Motel make it into the set. Black and Blue is probably the most maligned of the mid-70s Stones records, but I think it's got some really great material on it--particularly three of the songs that were mentioned earlier (Hand of Fate, Hot Stuff, and MM).  Fool to Cry is OK, but it's almost a carbon copy of Memory Motel--the melodies and the production on both are really close imo. Cherry Oh Baby and Hey Negrita are pretty fine too--all in all, a pretty solid album. Full disclosure: I didn't come to this opinion until after it had been out for a number of years--in '76 I thought it was pretty lame, as did a lot of folks. 

Let's get right to it.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Richard Lewis?
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2011, 10:06:57 PM »
So have I just not heard it (admittedly I haven't been catching but one or two sets a week in recent months), or is that Richard Lewis intro bit new? Not exactly Don Pardo, but hey, who is?
Let's get right to it.

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2011, 10:07:54 PM »
Fiiiinally I get to listen!  Have a nice day evening.  :)   On the good foot!

I love "More Than a Feeling", too.  Sue me!
"Memory Motel", NTM, but good (even though Mick's vocals worked my nerves a bit)
Oh, hell yeah!  Wondah Womaaan!  In da flesh...  (BOS)

This Eagles song is doing it for me.  Probably helps that it's 10:43pm.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 10:43:40 PM by sundaygal »

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2011, 10:37:41 PM »
Oh, hell yeah!  Wondah Womaaan!  In da flesh...  (BOS)

And it's the l-o-o-o-o-o-n-g version too!
Let's get right to it.