Author Topic: 29 Nov 2011: it's...1989  (Read 10227 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: 29 Nov 2011: it's...1989
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2011, 10:50:00 AM »
We Didn't Start The Fire: a song written by Time-Life headlines.  meh...

AIDS! Crack! Bernie Goetz!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2011, 11:02:59 AM »
HM Billy Joel.  I saw him during this tour!

As did I: Spring 1990 at the now-Oracle Arena. Sat in what Joel described as the "Eureka, er, shitty seats".

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2011, 11:04:11 AM »
Not to beat a dead horse, but RGMike and my suggestions have been consistently ignored for 1989 more than any other year it seems.

Roachford is essentially FYC that we haven't heard after all. I guess we should be thankful for the nonappearance of "Good Thing".

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2011, 11:05:06 AM »
always a BOS for Wicked Game, I never get tired of it.

PS: AL butchered the opening note by letting Tin Machine play over it... drat!

I hope this is irony, TC. :)

Nope, I mean it.  That opening note defines the peak of Chris Isaak's heart-aching crooner style. 

We Didn't Start The Fire: a song written by Time-Life headlines.  meh...
Tinka, er I mean T-Cat, is correct.  The wistfulness of the guitar tone in this song is a rare thing.  I also reflect on how the original guitarist Jimmy Wilsey was bounced out of the band, after giving us such great work.  He was a genuinely nice person, and a gifted guitarist.  I wonder what he's up to.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2011, 11:07:25 AM »
Not to beat a dead horse, but RGMike and my suggestions have been consistently ignored for 1989 more than any other year it seems.

Roachford is essentially FYC that we haven't heard after all. I guess we should be thankful for the nonappearance of "Good Thing".

indeed. The only '89 request I've ever gotten was "Bust a Move" back in the pre-DC era. And it's not like we're requesting obscurities.

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2011, 11:11:42 AM »
HM Billy Joel.  I saw him during this tour!

As did I: Spring 1990 at the now-Oracle Arena. Sat in what Joel described as the "Eureka, er, shitty seats".

Yep, that was the place!  I remember winning the tickets from a record store window display contest sponsored by CBS records (I think).  Same goes for Paul McCartney's "Flowers in the Dirt" tour in Berkeley.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2011, 11:54:15 AM »
I remember winning the tickets from a record store window display contest sponsored by CBS records (I think).  Same goes for Paul McCartney's "Flowers in the Dirt" tour in Berkeley.

I saw that one* (and given the size of the show I'd guess a few others of our group likely did, too. One of the few times I've had front row for a really big show.

*McCartney in Berkeley, not BJ.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 09:24:20 PM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2011, 12:52:28 PM »

indeed. The only '89 request I've ever gotten was "Bust a Move" back in the pre-DC era. And it's not like we're requesting obscurities.
"[RG]Mike, I finally got your Tanita in the studio, but ran out of time--you know I'll get your Twist in next time:)"
This seems to have come after your post, RGM. Coincidence? (yes, I am aware of the acronym)
Slipping into something
And out of something else

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2011, 03:48:50 PM »

"[RG]Mike, I finally got your Tanita in the studio, but ran out of time--you know I'll get your Twist in next time:)"
This seems to have come after your post, RGM. Coincidence? (yes, I am aware of the acronym)

actually I don't think she lurks here much if at all -- coincidence I'd say. She's commented before about having my request with her but not getting around to squeezing it in. Interestingly, the Tanita Tikaram tune was the most obscure of the songs I requested -- "Walk the Dinosaur" and "Buffalo Stance" are bona fide Top 10 hits.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 09:26:11 PM by RGMike »

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2011, 04:55:51 PM »
11/29/11 - Tuesday! Walking the Tightrope in 1989!!
 1. Stevie Ray Vaughan - Tightrope
 2. Bonnie Raitt - Thing Called Love
 3. Indio - Hard Sun
(Movie: When Harry Met Sally - Harry says the "L" word)
 4. Van Morrison - Have I Told You Lately
(Movie: When Harry Met Sally - "A man can't just be friends with a woman")
 5. Nirvana - About A Girl
 6. Depeche Mode - Personal Jesus
 7. Tin Machine/ David Bowie - Heaven's in Here
 8. Chris Isaak - Wicked Game
(TV: Seinfeld - Jerry has met a girl)
 9. De La Soul - The Magic Number (B.O.S!!)
(News: The Berlin Wall is coming down)
10. Billy Joel - We Didn't Start the Fire