Author Topic: New Music!  (Read 250589 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
New Music!
« on: July 26, 2005, 09:38:46 AM »
We don't have a thread specifically to talk about new discoveries.  So let me change that.

First, a must-see video: This is OK Go:
http://boss.streamos.com/download/xc37dr2/okgo/amillionways/amillionways_v750.mov

Other stuff I've heard lately that I'm digging on (and assume it's all new):

DJ Harry, "Collision"
KT Tunstall, "You're Not the One for Me"
Citizen Cope, "Sun's Gonna Rise"

wowowowowowowow
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2005, 09:44:44 AM »
That KT Tunstall song is actually titled "Black Horse and the Cherry Tree" & KFOG has been playing it for a couple of months.

Have you heard "Riot Radio" by the Dead 60's yet?

(woo-hoo,woo-hoo)
(woo-hoo,woo-hoo)

well my heart knows me better than i know myself
so i'm gonna let it do all the talking.
(woo-hoo,woo-hoo)
i came across a place in the middle of nowhere
with a big black horse and a cherry tree.
(woo-hoo,woo-hoo)

i fell in fear, upon my back
i said don't look back, just keep on walking.
(woo-hoo,woo-hoo)
when the big black horse that looked this way,
said hey lady, will you marry me?
(woo-hoo,woo-hoo)

but i said no, no, no,no-no-no
i said no, no, you're not the one for me
no, no, no,no-no-no

(ooooo,woo-hoo)

and my heart had a problem, in the early hours,
so it stopped it dead for a beat or two.
(woo-hoo,woo-hoo)
but i cut some cord, and i shouldn't have done that,
and it won't forgive me after all these years
(woo-hoo,woo-hoo)

so i sent her to a place in the middle of nowhere
with a big black horse and a cherry tree.
(woo-hoo,woo-hoo)
now it won't come back , cause it's oh so happy
and now i've got a hole for the world to see
(woo-hoo,woo-hoo)

but it said no, no, no,no-no-no
no, no, no,no-no-no
said no, no, you're not the one for me

(ooooo,woo-hoo) (not the one for me, yeah)
(ooooo,woo-hoo)
said no,no, no,no, no, no, no
you're not the one for me
said no,no, no,no, no, no, no
you're not the one for me

big black horse and a cherry tree
i can't quite get there cause they've all forsken me
big black horse and a cherry tree
i can't quite get there cause they've all forsken me
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2005, 09:52:32 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
That KT Tunstall song is actually titled "Black Horse and the Cherry Tree" & KFOG has been playing it for a couple of months.

Have you heard "Riot Radio" by the Dead 60's yet?

I don't understand why KFOG hasn't played it again since they premiered it on New Releases Thursday, like, several months ago. Speaking of riots: "I Predict A Riot" by the Kaiser Chiefs is the song Beej & I were talking about yesterday and it's killer. (God Bless Little Steven!)
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2005, 10:14:18 AM »
I haven't heard the Dead 60s or the Kaiser Chiefs yet, though the latter are immensely popular among the Williamsburg hipster elite.  What am I missing?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2005, 10:20:59 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
I haven't heard the Dead 60s or the Kaiser Chiefs yet, though the latter are immensely popular among the Williamsburg hipster elite.  What am I missing?

very late-'70s Clash-like stuff.

"the Williamsburg hipster elite"? That sounds like a parody waiting to happen.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2005, 10:43:25 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Quote from: "Gazoo"

very late-'70s Clash-like stuff.

"the Williamsburg hipster elite"? That sounds like a parody waiting to happen.

Oh, it already has happened, believe me.  You should read Gawker.com more.  :)

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Neil Young: Prairie Wind
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2005, 10:59:50 PM »
I just went on an Amazon bender and along with pre-ordering the Royal Albert Hall Cream CD and DVD, pre-ordered Neils upcoming Prairie Wind. I received a download of the first five tracks to listen to. Nice guitar, lyrics, vocals. This is what he was working on in Nashville, I think last year.

I'm sure he'll play a bit at the Bridge this year, assuming he performs.

1. Painter        
2. No Wonder        
3. Falling Off the Face of the Earth        
4. Far From Home        
5. It's A Dream        
6. Prairie Wind        
7. Here For You        
8. This Old Guitar        
9. He Was the King        
10. When God Made Me  

Also ordered new Bonnie Raitt, Souls Alike. Not sure how many of you care for her work. I like most of her stuff and hope this is good. Eons ago, I saw her at the Cow Palace opening a new years eve show for Huey Lewis.
Sharks bleed teal.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: Neil Young: Prairie Wind
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2005, 11:22:46 PM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
I just went on an Amazon bender and along with pre-ordering the Royal Albert Hall Cream CD and DVD, pre-ordered Neils upcoming Prairie Wind. I received a download of the first five tracks to listen to. Nice guitar, lyrics, vocals. This is what he was working on in Nashville, I think last year.Also ordered new Bonnie Raitt, Souls Alike. Not sure how many of you care for her work. I like most of her stuff and hope this is good. Eons ago, I saw her at the Cow Palace opening a new years eve show for Huey Lewis.

Bonnie isn't for everyone, but I think she's the real deal.  Her bass player is an old friend, and has been with her a long while.  Bonnie's slide playing has matured well, and she really sounds like Bonnie, much like George Harrison developed his own unique sound and style.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2005, 10:58:18 AM »
Don't know if any of you have heard of this woman, Amy Rigby

http://www.amyrigby.com/

but her music came at me from 2 very different sources.  KPIG has been playing the alt-country-ish "The Trouble With Jeannie" (about dealing with your boyfriend's ex, with whom he's still good friends).  Heard it again yesterday and suddenly realized that she was the same woman whose WONDERFUL song "Dancing With Joey Ramone" was Little Steven's Coolest-Song-of-the-Week last week. He'll undoubtedly play it weekly for the next 3 or 4 weeks so give a listen.  Her CD is called Little Fugitive.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2005, 05:37:22 PM »
Don't know if any of you have heard of this woman, Amy Rigby

http://www.amyrigby.com/

but her music came at me from 2 very different sources.  KPIG has been playing the alt-country-ish "The Trouble With Jeannie" (about dealing with your boyfriend's ex, with whom he's still good friends).  Heard it again yesterday and suddenly realized that she was the same woman whose WONDERFUL song "Dancing With Joey Ramone" was Little Steven's Coolest-Song-of-the-Week last week. He'll undoubtedly play it weekly for the next 3 or 4 weeks so give a listen.  Her CD is called Little Fugitive.

As a matter of fact, I used to temp for a good friend of mine who was her booking agent a couple of years ago. She's great, although I haven't kept up with her the last few years. Her album Diary of a Mod Housewife is superb tho. And her ex is Will Rigby, who was (and may be again) the drummer in the dBs.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2005, 10:33:06 PM »
HELP! Heard a terrific song just before the 10@10 replay, in between Clapton and the Gin Blossons, but it's not showing on the "just played" feature. Very '60s-soul-sounding, black woman singer, something about "I'm tired of your lies".  Anybody? Gaz? Bueller?

Speaking of new music on KFOG, I'm looking at the New Releases Thursday page and I'm seeing stuff I've never heard on the station.  Are there songs that are just available thru that page that never make it into regular rotation? I note that they list Shemekia Copeland's "Who Stole My Radio", a great song I've heard on KPIG, as well as the Dead '60s "Riot Radio", the Doves "Black & White Town" and new songs by Nada Surf and Echo & the Bunnymen (!). Has anyone heard any of these songs on KFOG?

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2005, 10:50:22 PM »
HELP! Heard a terrific song just before the 10@10 replay, in between Clapton and the Gin Blossons, but it's not showing on the "just played" feature. Very '60s-soul-sounding, black woman singer, something about "I'm tired of your lies".  Anybody? Gaz? Bueller?

I wish you were thinking of "All Cried Out" by Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam with Full Force.  But I have a feeling that's not it.

P.S.  Please let me know if Doves' "Black and White Town" gets into rotation; I'm still championing that one.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2005, 11:36:05 AM »
Anyone else listening to this premiere of Neil Young's CD on KFOG? Quite nice so far.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Neil Young
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2005, 03:21:25 PM »
Anyone else listening to this premiere of Neil Young's CD on KFOG? Quite nice so far.

Sounded very nice to me.  I didn't hear it all, but I liked it, especially "Tick Tock" or whatever it's called.  It's a bit odd, but had a lot of heart.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2005, 08:46:20 PM »

I heard the first 5 tracks from the CD and like very much.
Sharks bleed teal.