Author Topic: 7 July 2011: it's... 1985  (Read 16971 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: 7 July 2011: it's... 1985
« Reply #75 on: July 08, 2011, 07:49:47 AM »
BOS, Talking Heads.  Mild BOS.  This set wasn't awful.

Not awful, but not terribly good either. My opinion might have been better, but I tuned in during Mike and the Mechanicals and bailed during Level 42, thereby missing most of what might have improved things. Given what I did hear, this set just continued the wave of mediocrity that we've been hearing all week. Really hoping things turn around tomorrow. Has any clue been dropped yet?

I'm willing to say AL is just having an "off" week; she did solicit requests for this set, so you can blame the Fogheads for Mike & the Mechanics and the Hooters, even if AL should know better, Katrina-wise. She DID play two certifiably goofy requests with Diamond Dave and Baltimora, so I'm willing to remain open-minded. But Friday better not suck.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 10, 2011, 11:30:53 AM »
7/7/11 - Thursday!!!  On The Road To 1985!
  1. Talking Heads - Road To Nowhere
(Movie: Pee Wee's Big Adventure)
  2. Mike and the Mechanics - All I Need Is A Miracle
  3. The Hooters - And We Danced
(News: Live Aid/Farm Aid)
  4. John Mellencamp - Rain on the Scarecrow
  5. Simple Minds - Sanctify Yourself
(News: Rock Hudson's Death)
  6. Dire Straits - So Far Away
(Movie: The Breakfast Club)
  7. The Cure - In Between Days
(Movie: The Breakfast Club)
  8. Level 42 - Something About You
(Movie: Pee Wee's Big Adventure)
  9. David Lee Roth - Just a Gigolo
10. Baltimora - Tarzan Boy

Apart from the Hooters (song isn't really bad, but I never need to hear it again), seems as if it were a really good set. I don't know if 5, 8, 9 or 10 have appeared before. Yeah, "Silent Running" would have been better than "All I Need Is A Miracle" (more of an '86 anyway), but I won't quibble.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 10, 2011, 12:49:44 PM »
It occurs to me that AL now has over 1200 FB "friends" -- far more than a year ago when we were regularly getting some amazing requests played almost daily. Given that the "early adopters" (like us) were probably more music-geeky than the average Fogheads, many of whom are JUST NOW figuring out that AL has a Facebook page... well, it seems this could be another explanation as to why 10@10 sounds different lately. AL can only ignore lame-ass requests for so long.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 10, 2011, 09:28:29 PM »
It occurs to me that AL now has over 1200 FB "friends" -- far more than a year ago when we were regularly getting some amazing requests played almost daily. Given that the "early adopters" (like us) were probably more music-geeky than the average Fogheads, many of whom are JUST NOW figuring out that AL has a Facebook page... well, it seems this could be another explanation as to why 10@10 sounds different lately. AL can only ignore lame-ass requests for so long.

Point taken. If you're going to take requests, you have to honor everyone's once in awhile, otherwise people get pissed off and don't come back. We (as a group, and Mike in particular) still have a better batting average than most, so guess we can't bitch.
Let's get right to it.