Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 415660 times)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: The Sports Thread
« Reply #1350 on: October 19, 2009, 01:49:02 PM »
Was just looking at the baseball playoff schedule for the remaining games of the LCS, and realized there's an anomaly this year that I don't think has been foisted off on the fans before: they've got a day off between games 4 and 5 of both LCS series, even though there's no travel involved between those games--just a seemingly arbitrary day off. I'm sure this is another scheduling demand of Faux Sports and TBS, so they don't have two games to compete with one another in their schedules. But Christ, the post season is long enough as it is--the series doesn't even start until October 28, and if it goes 7 games it won't end until November 5. Were the series to go that long, there are probably a dozen MLB ballparks in which, should they be the site of postseason games, players and fans could potentially risk frostbite if the weather were to go bad before the series is done. Note that 20 years ago, the Series was playing Game 3 on October 17. Granted, they've added another round of playoffs since then but it always seemed like they could get the Series done by the end of October even after the wild card was introduced.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/schedule/ps.jsp?y=09
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: October 20, 2009, 09:54:23 AM »
Was just looking at the baseball playoff schedule for the remaining games of the LCS, and realized there's an anomaly this year that I don't think has been foisted off on the fans before: they've got a day off between games 4 and 5 of both LCS series, even though there's no travel involved between those games--just a seemingly arbitrary day off. I'm sure this is another scheduling demand of Faux Sports and TBS, so they don't have two games to compete with one another in their schedules. But Christ, the post season is long enough as it is--the series doesn't even start until October 28, and if it goes 7 games it won't end until November 5. Were the series to go that long, there are probably a dozen MLB ballparks in which, should they be the site of postseason games, players and fans could potentially risk frostbite if the weather were to go bad before the series is done. Note that 20 years ago, the Series was playing Game 3 on October 17. Granted, they've added another round of playoffs since then but it always seemed like they could get the Series done by the end of October even after the wild card was introduced.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/schedule/ps.jsp?y=09

The division series should be 3 games and the league championship series 5.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: October 21, 2009, 11:04:44 AM »
Poor Steve Phillips: unlike Letterman, he can't make jokes about his affairs.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/10/21/sports/s093154D36.DTL&tsp=1

Jeezus, is there anyone at ESPN who hasn't been sued for sexual harrassment? ::)
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: October 21, 2009, 09:07:23 PM »
Go Phillies!  They finish off the Dodgers; "Manny being Manny" ends badly yet again.

Looks like they'll be playing the Yankees, barring a Boston-style comeback by the Angels.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: October 29, 2009, 08:57:50 AM »
Yay for the Phillies convincing win last nite -- hope it's not a fluke.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: October 29, 2009, 09:27:08 AM »

Yay for the Phillies convincing win last nite -- hope it's not a fluke.

Hope so too.  See paragraph 6 in the link I just posted on the Funny Stuff thread.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: October 30, 2009, 08:35:14 AM »
Boo: Yanks even things up.

Double Boo: a transit strike in Philly, just in time for Saturday's game? WTF?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/10/29/national/a133303D21.DTL

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: October 31, 2009, 09:41:18 AM »
Former 49er Dana Stubblefield slapped with restraining order.  Video report:
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/iteam&id=7092543&tsp=1

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: November 03, 2009, 08:08:37 AM »
Glad the Phillies didn't give up. Now it's a real WS at least.

Meanwhile: Joba Chamberlain's mom sells meth!

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/11/03/sports/s065438S70.DTL&tsp=1

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: November 03, 2009, 09:05:49 AM »

Amen to that. If they can take it to the full 7 games, I wouldn't even mind if the Spankees won it. (Well, not too much.)

As for Joba's mom, anyone who would name their kid "Joba" is a few eggs shy of an omelette.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: November 03, 2009, 09:27:55 AM »

Amen to that. If they can take it to the full 7 games, I wouldn't even mind if the Spankees won it. (Well, not too much.)

As for Joba's mom, anyone who would name their kid "Joba" is a few eggs shy of an omelette.

I think they say it's an Indian name (a la Shania Twain). But yeah, my first thought was -- can you imagine how many times he got called "Joba the Hutt" as a kid? ('specially since he ain't exactly skinny)  

I love the irony of super-white folks in super-white states (Nebraska, Alaska) giving their kids weird names and selling meth (and probably making fun of black folks for doing the same).

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: November 04, 2009, 10:20:03 PM »

Well, almost. Tonight's game wasn't quite a nail-biter, but it was a good series overall and probably the most exciting one since '03 when Florida whupped the Yanks.

Only 3 1/2 months until pitchers and catchers report.
Let's get right to it.

SFGuy

« Reply #1362 on: November 05, 2009, 12:55:27 AM »

I think they say it's an Indian name (a la Shania Twain). But yeah, my first thought was -- can you imagine how many times he got called "Joba the Hutt" as a kid? ('specially since he ain't exactly skinny)  

I love the irony of super-white folks in super-white states (Nebraska, Alaska) giving their kids weird names and selling meth (and probably making fun of black folks for doing the same).

Chamberlain's mother maybe super white but Joba isn't. According to his bio on the Yankees web site, he was born Justin Louis Chamberlain and Joba was a nickname from a young relative who couldn't pronounce the name Justin. He's also a descendant of the Winnebago Indian Tribe based in the Nebraska area.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 01:00:58 AM by SFGuy »

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: November 05, 2009, 08:04:31 AM »

Chamberlain's mother maybe super white but Joba isn't. According to his bio on the Yankees web site, he was born Justin Louis Chamberlain and Joba was a nickname from a young relative who couldn't pronounce the name Justin. He's also a descendant of the Winnebago Indian Tribe based in the Nebraska area.

Joe Buck and McCarver pronounced it "jobba" (rhymes with "java") but it looks like Joe-ba to me.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: November 05, 2009, 12:42:43 PM »
Interesting stat, courtesy Outsports: the Yankees tend to win the WS when there's a Dem in the White House.  (Last time they won under a Repub was 1958; their nine titles since then were under Dems.)

Was interested to see Olbermann's "9 smartest plays in the history of the WS" the other night -- he ranked Johnny Damon's double-steal Sunday nite at #1. Not bad for a player considered "dumb as a box of rocks".