Author Topic: RIP Geraldine Ferraro, 75  (Read 2643 times)

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
RIP Geraldine Ferraro, 75
« on: March 26, 2011, 09:52:50 AM »
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42283362/ns/politics-more_politics/?GT1=43001
Geraldine Ferraro, the Democratic congresswoman who became the first woman on a major party presidential ticket as Walter Mondale's running mate in 1984, died Saturday at the age of 75
Ferraro died at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston of a blood cancer after a 12-year illness,
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Geraldine Ferraro, 75
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 04:41:14 PM »
I was at ABC in 84, and spent 2 weeks on the road following Mondale & Ferraro around.  The crowds that showed up to see her -- grandmothers bringing granddaughters to see the first woman VP candidate -- were quite inspiring at the time.  I was tempted to go off on a tangent about how her last big media splash was when she said less-than-pleasant things about Obama in '08 (she was a Hilary supporter). But a FB friend, Gil Gross of KGO, posted this and I think it was kind of nice:

It's a good time to think kindly of Walter Mondale. In picking Geraldine Ferraro for VP he made a hopeless campaign historic. Brave or desperate no longer matters. What matters is no one else has to think about being the first to do it. While we're remembering her, it's worth dropping him a line to say thanks:

c/o Dorsey & Whitney LLP ...Suite 1500
50 South Sixth Street
Minneapolis, MN 55402-1498

And here's hoping Sarah Palin realizes that without Gerry, there might've been no Sarah.

(Nah, she's too dumb to think that logically)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 04:45:03 PM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 11:00:18 AM »

And here's hoping Sarah Palin realizes that without Gerry, there might've been no Sarah.

I think she's already made that comparison many times, although I seriously doubt Ferraro, or Mondale, would approve of being associated with her in any way at all.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 11:09:53 AM »

I think she's already made that comparison many times, although I seriously doubt Ferraro, or Mondale, would approve of being associated with her in any way at all.

Indeed, after I posted this, I saw that she mentioned it on her FB page.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round