Author Topic: 15 Sept 2010: it's... 1978  (Read 8230 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: 15 Sept 2010: it's... 1978
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2010, 10:45:50 AM »
WTF? don't tease us with the promise of "Stairway to Gilligan" and then not deliver.  Still, quite a great set.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2010, 10:46:21 AM »
Good funkin lord that was good!
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2010, 10:50:34 AM »

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2010, 10:54:27 AM »
Mike, did you ever catch that Family Guy bit on Jazon Mraz?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVt6-dbkyes

Woo Hoo, BOS Devo "Jocko Homo"!

...and another in the long list of Alisons

are we not men?

we are MRAZ-O!

BOS5.
~CPL593H~

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2010, 11:00:54 AM »
Oh My My! I've got my fluorescent orange diaper on in honor of P-Funk being my first concert in this year.

another BOS to One Nation Under a Grove
Was it good?  I've always wanted to see them but haven't yet.

I'm sure it was good in some ways, but I really wasn't much of a fan yet and not easily picking up on the vibe (translate: I was a little nervous b/c I was a little white kid from the 'burbs in the midst of all those "black people!"- gasp!).  I do remember lots of spectacle -- although I don't recall if they had the Mothership set -- weird costumes, multi-layered fun-kay sounds, but also some confusion about exactly what I was hearing -- "is this a song I should know? is this a song at all?"   I do wish I could go back and re-live the concert and parse it better!

~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2010, 11:02:09 AM »
Mike, did you ever catch that Family Guy bit on Jazon Mraz?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVt6-dbkyes

LOL! As much as I hate FG, that's pretty funny. Mraz-hate trumps FG-hate every time.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2010, 11:05:03 AM »
Oh My My! I've got my fluorescent orange diaper on in honor of P-Funk being my first concert in this year.

I'm sure it was good in some ways, but I really wasn't much of a fan yet and not easily picking up on the vibe (translate: I was a little nervous b/c I was a little white kid from the 'burbs in the midst of all those "black people!"- gasp!).  I do remember lots of spectacle -- although I don't recall if they had the Mothership set -- weird costumes, multi-layered fun-kay sounds, but also some confusion about exactly what I was hearing -- "is this a song I should know? is this a song at all?"   I do wish I could go back and re-live the concert and parse it better!

you'll love this classic Onion bit about the P-Funk Mothership landing at a Hootie concert and scaring the bejeezus outta Darius Rucker:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/mothership-accidentally-descends-on-hootie-concert,983/

"Added a visibly distressed Rucker: 'He also seemed to imply that if I let my mind go free, something would happen to my bottom'."

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2010, 11:12:14 AM »
Sharks bleed teal.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2010, 11:15:29 AM »

you'll love this classic Onion bit about the P-Funk Mothership landing at a Hootie concert and scaring the bejeezus outta Darius Rucker:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/mothership-accidentally-descends-on-hootie-concert,983/

"Added a visibly distressed Rucker: 'He also seemed to imply that if I let my mind go free, something would happen to my bottom'."

HA!  yes, that was pretty much me..
~CPL593H~

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2010, 11:16:08 AM »

Killin me.
"...out of nowhere these strange men came down shouting about getting up and doing the backstroke, or something."
"I did not wish to get 'funked up,'" said Roger Kleist, 33. "If I did, I would have attended a Dave Matthews Band concert."
Sharks bleed teal.

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2010, 01:35:22 PM »

Was it good?  I've always wanted to see them but haven't yet.

I'm sure it was good in some ways, but I really wasn't much of a fan yet and not easily picking up on the vibe (translate: I was a little nervous b/c I was a little white kid from the 'burbs in the midst of all those "black people!"- gasp!).  I do remember lots of spectacle -- although I don't recall if they had the Mothership set -- weird costumes, multi-layered fun-kay sounds, but also some confusion about exactly what I was hearing -- "is this a song I should know? is this a song at all?"   I do wish I could go back and re-live the concert and parse it better!

Ohhhhhhhhhh, you saw them THEN!  I misinterpreted your "this year" to mean "2010".  I bet that would have been scary then, as you say.  Have you seen them recently?

That Onion bit is seriously one of the funniest things I've ever read, and possibly my first encounter with that esteemed publication.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 01:41:35 PM by Davefish »
"Play the tape machine, make the toast and tea"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2010, 02:00:09 PM »
That Onion bit is seriously one of the funniest things I've ever read, and possibly my first encounter with that esteemed publication.

One of my all-time faves of theirs; they are geniuses... you owe it to yourself to get lost in their archives.  One more of my faves:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/nations-rappers-down-to-last-two-samples,793/

9/15/10-Wednesday!! 1 Radio Station Under a Groove in...1978!!

1.  Bruce Springsteen- Adam Raised A Cain
 2.  Van Halen- Jamie's Cryin'
(TV: The Hulk)
 3.  Elvis Costello- Little Triggers
 4.  Van Morrison- Wavelength
(News brief/Jessica Savitch)
 5.  Blondie- Sunday Girl
(Ad: Jovan Musk Oil for ladies)
 6.  Rod Stewart- Hot Legs
 7.  Chic- Everybody Dance
(TV: One Day at A Time)
 8.  Rolling Stones- Respectable
 9.  Devo- Jocko Homo
(Movie: Superman)
10. Funkadelic- One Nation Under a Groove (BOS!!!)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 02:02:59 PM by RGMike »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2010, 01:15:55 AM »

The Mothership were also newsworthy (and even more hilarious, dare I say) in this Onion classic:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/clinton-threatens-to-drop-da-bomb-on-iraq,787/
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2010, 08:41:46 AM »

Was it good?  I've always wanted to see them but haven't yet.

I'm sure it was good in some ways, but I really wasn't much of a fan yet and not easily picking up on the vibe (translate: I was a little nervous b/c I was a little white kid from the 'burbs in the midst of all those "black people!"- gasp!).  I do remember lots of spectacle -- although I don't recall if they had the Mothership set -- weird costumes, multi-layered fun-kay sounds, but also some confusion about exactly what I was hearing -- "is this a song I should know? is this a song at all?"   I do wish I could go back and re-live the concert and parse it better!

Killin me.
"...out of nowhere these strange men came down shouting about getting up and doing the backstroke, or something."
"I did not wish to get 'funked up,'" said Roger Kleist, 33. "If I did, I would have attended a Dave Matthews Band concert."

Well, ol' Hootie et al could easily be the real-life incarnation of Sir Nose D'Voidoffunk. They certainly got none.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 09:26:33 AM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2010, 10:30:15 AM »
Someone I work with went to see Brad Paisley last night and mentioned Darius has gone country.
Sharks bleed teal.