Author Topic: 9 Sept 2010: it's... California Songs  (Read 6007 times)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 9 Sept 2010: it's... California Songs
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2010, 10:37:55 AM »
love the inclusion of Annie Hall quips making fun of the LA ('Don't tell me we have to walk from the house from here.  My feet haven't touched pavement since I got to LA' and '..All the good meetings are taken.')  nyuk nyuk

another great 'let's make fun of LA' movie scene is the one in LA Story where Steve Martin drives down the street for a very short distance, keeping the car door open and his left legging hanging out  b/c it's just not worth getting completely in the car!  love that..
~CPL593H~

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2010, 10:39:10 AM »
There it is, folks...Going Back To Cali - LL Cool J (with his washboard abs...)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2010, 10:43:48 AM »
There it is, folks...Going Back To Cali - LL Cool J (with his washboard abs...)

I have washboard flabs, too.
~CPL593H~

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2010, 10:49:24 AM »

another great 'let's make fun of LA' movie scene is the one in LA Story where Steve Martin drives down the street for a very short distance, keeping the car door open and his left legging hanging out  b/c it's just not worth getting completely in the car!  love that..

That whole film is one big sendup of LA life. There are loads of subtle and not so subtle pokes at their lifestyle. There's a scene where he's working out in a park, and in the background you can see several people collapsing and being loaded into ambulances.
Let's get right to it.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2010, 11:33:41 AM »

That whole film is one big sendup of LA life. There are loads of subtle and not so subtle pokes at their lifestyle. There's a scene where he's working out in a park, and in the background you can see several people collapsing and being loaded into ambulances.

tee hee, yeah, it's great.  I love the anticipation which builds when everyone wants to goto the newest and hottest restaurant, and then we finally find out they it's spelled L'Idiot.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2010, 12:08:02 PM »
Starting with a Beach Boys twin spin, the second half of which is new to me.  Nice bomp-a-dee-dah groove to this one.  "Salinas Way"?

I'm glad to hear she played that. They did a "suite" about Cali on that LP (Holland?); not sure how much of it she did, but the "on my way to sunny cal-a-for-ny-ay" piece was a flop single at the time, sadly.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2010, 02:04:43 PM »
9/9/10-Thursday!! Happy 160th Birthday to Californ-I-A! 10 Great Songs for our Great Golden State!
 1.  Beach Boys - California Girls/ California Saga (On My Way To Californ-I-A)
 2.  The Mamas & The Papas - California Dreamin'
(TV: I Love Lucy: California, Here I Come)
 3.  The Rivieras - California Sun
 4.  Cheap Trick - California Man
(Movie: Caddyshack- Bill Murray)
 5.  Grateful Dead - Estimated Prophet
 6.  Wilco w/Billy Bragg - California Stars
 7.  Led Zeppelin - Going To California
 8.  Joni Mitchell - California (BOS!!)
(Movie: Annie Hall: Woody in L.A.)
 9.  Albert Hammond - It Never Rains In Southern California
(Movie: Annie Hall-Woody back in L.A.)
10.  LL Cool J - Going Back To Cali

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2010, 04:00:25 PM »
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2010, 04:01:12 PM »
BOS, LZ.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2010, 07:54:30 PM »
Love the guy on FB who voted for "the Rivieras doing a Ramones song". I hope he was kidding.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2010, 08:16:12 PM »
"It Never Rains In Southern California":

The name of two distinct top 40 hits by Albert Hammond and Tony! Toni! Tone!

And I think the winner of the "most unlikely title to be hits with two different songs" award.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2010, 08:36:35 PM »

And I think the winner of the "most unlikely title to be hits with two different songs" award.

Believe it or not, I've given thought to that very subject.  Best competitor I've come up with is "Stairway to Heaven" (a hit for Neil Sedaka a decade before Zep).
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2010, 08:23:23 PM »

Believe it or not, I've given thought to that very subject.  Best competitor I've come up with is "Stairway to Heaven" (a hit for Neil Sedaka a decade before Zep).

When I saw a few years ago that Jewel had a minor Hot AC hit entitled "2 Become 1", I thought "Jewel covering the Spice Girls, how quaint". Of course, it wasn't actually the same song.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2010, 10:35:43 AM »

When I saw a few years ago that Jewel had a minor Hot AC hit entitled "2 Become 1", I thought "Jewel covering the Spice Girls, how quaint". Of course, it wasn't actually the same song.

There are also two hits titled "Never Had a Dream Come True": Stevie's in the  '60s was followed by an unrelated song by a teen-pop outfit called S Club 7 a decade or so ago.  I believe  Cathy Dennis wrote it, for those who remember her.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2010, 05:12:44 PM »

There are also two hits titled "Never Had a Dream Come True": Stevie's in the  '60s was followed by an unrelated song by a teen-pop outfit called S Club 7 a decade or so ago.  I believe  Cathy Dennis wrote it, for those who remember her.

Currently we have Bruno Mars and a climbing hit, "Just The Way You Are", which is not a Billy Joel cover.