Author Topic: LNG/KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 8/30/10  (Read 2841 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
LNG/KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 8/30/10
« on: August 30, 2010, 09:27:55 AM »
LNG just played the Beau Brummels, "Don't Talk to Strangers" -- NTM and quite nice; I seem to recall someone (geoff?) mentioning it here in the past.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: LNG/KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 8/30/10
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 08:11:40 AM »
JJ begins his '60s Hour with Ray Charles' version of "Yesterday" -- hard to top. But then he follows it with one of my fave Philly obscurities, "In a Moment" by the Intrigues. And more Philly fabulousness: the Intruders, "Love is Like a Baseball Game".

ETA: so of course KPOO's tempermental stream dies 20 minutes into the hour.

ETA: the stream comes back in time for Fancy Miss Nancy Wilson's "Guess Who I saw Today". Sublime.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 08:32:04 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 03:32:41 PM »
Another accidental discovery: John Pizziarelli (son of Bucky) and his wife do a weekly 2-hour podcast -- they play jazzy standards. Very classy if you like this sorta thing.

http://www.johnpizzarelli.com/RadioDeluxe.html

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 08:00:30 AM »
Radio de Sebb plays a NTM cover of "You're The Best Thing That Ever Happened To Me" by the Persuaders, of all people.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 09:47:05 AM »
OMGWTF: Minnie Riperton doing "Light My Fire" -- with a Jose Feliciano cameo at the end.  NTM.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 04:55:09 PM »
Now THIS is Labor Day Weekend: listening to Barry Scott's "Lost 45s" Top 100 countdown while watching the Giants/Dodgers on the ESPN Sun Nite game (with the sound down).  Tuned in just in time to hear the Osmonds covering Joe South's fab "Yo-Yo", with its cribbed-from-"Day Tripper" intro. WOOT now!

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 06:52:39 PM »
Now THIS is Labor Day Weekend: listening to Barry Scott's "Lost 45s" Top 100 countdown while watching the Giants/Dodgers on the ESPN Sun Nite game (with the sound down).  Tuned in just in time to hear the Osmonds covering Joe South's fab "Yo-Yo", with its cribbed-from-"Day Tripper" intro. WOOT now!

Barry played the rare 45 mix of Stevie's "Don't you Worry..." with the "todo da bien Chevrolet" rap excised -- sacrelige!  But he makes up for it with the "long" versions of "Last Time I Saw Him" and "Hot Child in the City".  And what a delight to hear Shaun Cassidy's Eric Carmen cover "Hey Deanie".

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 10:09:46 AM »

Barry played the rare 45 mix of Stevie's "Don't you Worry..." with the "todo da bien Chevrolet" rap excised -- sacrelige!  But he makes up for it with the "long" versions of "Last Time I Saw Him" and "Hot Child in the City".  And what a delight to hear Shaun Cassidy's Eric Carmen cover "Hey Deanie".

Belatedly mentioning that I enjoyed the above as well.  Barry's voters' tastes seem to track really well with my own, on the whole.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”