Author Topic: 5 July 2010: it's.. a rerun of Friday's holiday set  (Read 1729 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
5 July 2010: it's.. a rerun of Friday's holiday set
« on: July 05, 2010, 09:53:57 AM »
and it started REALLY EARLY. (We're up to James Brown already and it's only 9:53)
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 5 July 2010: it's.. a rerun of Friday's holiday set
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 10:16:25 AM »
and it started REALLY EARLY. (We're up to James Brown already and it's only 9:53)

yeah, I'm bummed I missed the start, even if it's a re-run

went to the Fireworks last night at Waterfront Park.  The accompanying soundtrack they pumped out has some usual suspects, but some crap-ass choices, too,  IMHO.  Like: they played Ray Charles American, The Beautiful, a short segment of Mellencamp's R.O.C.K. in the U.S.A., but they also played Linda Ronstadt's version of Living In The USA instead of Chuck Berry's.  Ugh.  Luckily they played only a snippet.  They played a snippet of Springsteen's Born In The USA, which isn't exactly a feel-good patriotic song, despite the GOP's attempt to co-opt it for the 84 presidential campaign.  And they played WAY too much of Lee Greenwood's God Bless The USA and Rodnet Atkin's It's America

Well, it's not like I was expecting Yes or X or Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings, but it was a little too maudlin for me.  I appreciated Stars and Stripes Forever, the Sousa brass songs, etc.  More of that please.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 10:34:57 AM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: 5 July 2010: it's.. a rerun of Friday's holiday set
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 10:29:18 AM »
And they played WAY too much of Lee Greenwood's God Bless The USA

I met Mr Greenwood once, about 25 years ago on a trip to Nashville with ABC. We interviewed a bunch of then-current Country folks (Jerry Reed, Naomi Judd, Kathy Mattea) and we went to LG's house in Hendersonville (the Bel-Air of the Nashville set).  His college-age son came wandering thru at one point and he struck me as WAY gay -- God's revenge, I was thinking.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round