Author Topic: 15 June 2010: it's... 1968!  (Read 6613 times)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: 15 June 2010: it's... 1968!
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2010, 10:40:03 AM »
Next time let's hear this version of, as Tommy Smothers calls it, "Jude"

featuring Duane Allman!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2010, 10:41:28 AM »
A few weeks ago I had sent AL the youtube link to Archie Bell's "Tighten Up."  In the recap, it appears she watched it: "Look it up on YouTube and see if you too can do the swivel action of the Tighten Up."
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 10:44:48 AM by Wayback »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2010, 10:48:21 AM »
A few weeks ago I had sent AL the youtube link to Archie Bell's "Tighten Up."  In the recap, it appears she watched it: "Look it up on YouTube and see if you too can do the swivel action of the Tighten Up."

yes -- you were the one! -- you posted it on FB, iirc.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2010, 01:38:45 PM »
6/15/10- Tuesday!! Feeling Great in '68!!

1.  The Equals- Baby, Come Back
 2.  Archie Bell & The Drells- Tighten Up
(TV: Bewitched-Love Potion)
 3.  CCR- I Put A Spell On you
 4.  Jeff Beck Group (w/Rod Stewart) - Shapes Of Things
(Movie: Wild In the Streets)
 5.  Max Frost & his Storm Troopers-Shape Of Things To Come
 6.  Vanilla Fudge- You Keep Me Hanging On
(TV: Bewitched-Endora driven to drink)
 7.  Electric Flag- Wine
 8.  Cliff Nobles & Co- The Horse
(News: MLK speech clip)
 9.  Nina Simone- Ain't Got No/ I Got Life
(TV: Smothers Brothers intro "Jude")
10.  Beatles- Hey Jude (BOS!!)

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2010, 01:45:17 PM »

Storm Troopers? New one on me.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2010, 03:37:45 PM »

Storm Troopers? New one on me.

Ha! didn't catch that -- she said it in the backannounce but I assumed she was kidding. Max Frost and the Troopers, of course...

Max Frost and The Troopers was a fictional rock music group created for the exploitation film Wild in the Streets, released in 1968. The film featured Christopher Jones as the highly influential singer Max Frost. The songs performed by Frost and his band, a group that was never formally named in the film, was credited to Max Frost and the Troopers in subsequent singles and album. The band name "Troopers" is based on the term "troops," the designation Frost used in the film to refer to his friends and followers.

A studio group appeared on the soundtrack album for the film, along with incidental music penned by Cynthia Weil and Barry Mann, and composed by Les Baxter, however the songs were not originally credited to Max Frost and the Troopers, but rather to The 13th Power.

Due to the success of the song "Shape of Things To Come" as a single, an accompanying album by Max Frost and The Troopers, Shape of Things to Come, was issued on the Tower record label in 1968. Musicians playing on the album are believed to include members of Davie Allan and The Arrows (who also released the "Shapes of Things to Come" without lyrics), with lead vocals by Paul Wibier (who also wrote a majority of the songs on the album). The music is high-energy rock with some psychedelic touches.

The group was produced by Harley Hatcher and Eddie Beram for Mike Curb Productions. Their first single was recorded with Curb's Tower subsidiary, Sidewalk Records. Subsequent singles were taken from their album.

Their final single, "Sittin' In Circles," was performed in the film Three in the Attic, by Davie Allan and the Arrows. The B-side of that single, "Paxton Quigley's Had The Course," was a Chad & Jeremy composition.

damn I had no idea Davie Allan and the Arrows were involved -- funny, they're Little Steven faves, and he has also played the Max Frost hit many times but has never mentioned the connection.  Would love to hear that Arrows instrumental version.

ETA: gawd bless the Tubes of You...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50EqWiGkOi0