Author Topic: 'LNG/KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 4/5/10  (Read 5757 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: 'LNG/KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 4/5/10
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2010, 07:58:15 PM »
Julie Driscoll and the Brian Auger Trinity out of England
have obviously been listening to The Jefferson Airplane,
esp on  Wheels On Fire (1968):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkCBVZHrstE

I know their version, of course, as the theme to AbFab, but that's a terrif performance. gaz-tastic!

Oh my yes.  I distinctly remember Dave Morey playing this in the late '90s; I was so blown away by it that that evening, while at a concert somewhere in North Beach (Club Cocodrie, mebbe) I ducked into the bathroom for several minutes to catch the replay.

Julie's definitely taking her icy delivery cues from Grace.  A year later she'd appear on the Monkees' ill-fated TV special 33 1/3 Revolutions Per Monkee, staging a Grace-off with Micky on a soul-fried rendition of "I'm a Believer."  (Next time I'm in town, I'm definitely staging a group showing of that special.)
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2010, 11:05:48 AM »
Madison's Magic 98 is having a One Hit Wonder Saturday -- it had never occurred to me that Bullet's "White Lies/Blue Eyes" is a GrassRoots soundalike but... sure enuf. And here's Roger Voudouris' forgotten "Get Used to It".
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2010, 11:22:21 PM »
after playing one of my fave obscurities, the Dixie Hummingbirds' rendition of "Loves Me Like a Rock" (sans Paul Simon), JJ totally blows my mind with a NTM soulful cover by the Cymbals (?) of "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" (!!) -- apparently done in 1970, a year before Ms Baez had her hit version. And now another NTM gem, Gladys/Pips "Don't Burn Down the Bridges" -- an LP cut, I guess, but some of the most stellar work by the Pips I've ever heard. DAMN!

ETA: some googling reveals the Pips tune was the B-side of "I Feel a Song in My Heart"!  And now here's Jimmy Bee doing the ballad version of "Breaking Up Is Hard to Do" in 1976, around the same time as Wacky Sedaky did it that way -- tho' Lenny Welch was the first to ballad-ize the tune in 1970.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 11:40:09 PM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round