Author Topic: RIP legendary producer Willie Mitchell, 81  (Read 2842 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
RIP legendary producer Willie Mitchell, 81
« on: January 05, 2010, 02:16:10 PM »
He was behind Al Green's '70s hits, among others.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/Music/01/05/obit.mitchell/

:'(
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: RIP legendary producer Willie Mitchell, 81
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 01:28:27 AM »
I alerted the folks at TIME.com to this, expecting someone would post an obit or at least an AP feed, and got crickets in response.   >:(
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 01:51:00 AM »
A friend of a friend on Facebook posted this:

Great Willie Mitchell story: The Young Fresh Fellows recorded some of the songs on the album It's Low Beat Time with him in Memphis.

One day Fellow Scott McCaughey was getting ready to do a lead vocal take.

He asked Willie, "Gee, I don't know, Willie, how do you think I should approach the vocal on this? Quiet and mellow? Screaming?" ... See More

Willie replied, "You the SINGER, ain't you? Then SING IT!"
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 08:04:13 AM »
KUSF 90.3 FM morning jock (the "Hashbury Breakfast" show) did a Willie Mitchell tribute show today, including Syl Johnson's version of Take Me To The River.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 08:18:53 AM »
I alerted the folks at TIME.com to this, expecting someone would post an obit or at least an AP feed, and got crickets in response.   >:(

It's also nowhere to be found on the NY Times site, either on the music page or under obits. WTF?

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 10:01:48 AM »

It's also nowhere to be found on the NY Times site, either on the music page or under obits. WTF?

I still haven't seen much of anything online about James Gurley's death, and that's been nearly a month. He wasn't a household name but he had some notoriety, at least in the bay area.

The world is going to hell, I tellya...
Let's get right to it.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 10:13:21 AM »
the AP just moved a story:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2010/01/05/entertainment/e090906S95.DTL

I'll see if we can put it on SFGate entertainment pages.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 10:16:47 AM »

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2010/01/05/entertainment/e090906S95.DTL

I'm sure we look forward to an appreciation of Mitchell written by Aidin Vaiziri... ::)

Well, if the AP only ran it today, that may explain everyone else being behind.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 10:25:09 AM »

I'm sure we look forward to an appreciation of Mitchell written by Aidin Vaiziri... ::)

He might just do that.  Or they might dust off Joel Selvin and have him try a freelance shot.  As long as he can work a reference to the Dead, Steve Miller and Santana in there, he might go for it.  But I doubt either will happen.
~CPL593H~

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 11:35:46 AM »

He might just do that.  Or they might dust off Joel Selvin and have him try a freelance shot.  As long as he can work a reference to the Dead, Steve Miller and Santana in there, he might go for it.  But I doubt either will happen.

Sigh. The Chron had so many talented music writers working under Selvin over the years (James Sullivan, Neva Chonin immediately spring to mind). Why oh why did Vaziri have to be the one holding that job when Joel took his golden parachute?
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 03:12:54 PM »

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 09:36:50 PM »
WHYY's "FRESSSH AIRRRR!" had a segment on Wilie Mitchell in this evening's show.  They played  some old interview segments w Al Green, who asked Willie "How long before I become a star?" 
 "Hmm, maybe two years.." 
 He then told Willie "I can't wait that long to be a star!  I need money!" and Willie said "ok", got an advance and pushed his career fwd. He saw something in the man and stuck with him. 

They also played interview w Willie talking about his unique sound using Jazz horns (see Al Green's "Love and Happiness" and "I'm So Tired of Being Alone").
~CPL593H~

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Willie Mitchell tribute on KUSF Tuesday night. 1/12
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 11:36:27 PM »
"COME ON HOME: A CELEBRATION OF THE MUSICAL GENIUS OF PRODUCER WILLIE MITCHELL" on KUSF's "In The Soul Kitchen" - This Tuesday, 1/12

Poppa Willie Mitchell was a one-of-a-kind producer, arranger, engineer, songwriter, bandleader and master musician. He created and defined the Hi Records sound with his productions of artists like O.V. Wright, Al Green, Ann Peebles, Otis Clay, Syl Johnson, Quiet Elegance and many more, recorded at his Royal Recording Studios in Memphis, that featured his brilliant arrangements and innovative engineering. As producer or arranger, Willie also worked with many non-Hi label artists like Solomon Burke, Ike and Tina, Denise LaSalle, The Detroit Emeralds, John Mayer, Anthony Hamilton and recently, Rod Stewart. Join DJ Harry D This Tues., Jan. 12th on "In The Soul Kitchen" For Two Hours of The Very Best of Willie Mitchell's Work: Hits, Rarities, Outtakes and more.

"In The Soul Kitchen" with Harry D airs Tuesday 8:00-10:00 PST on KUSF (90.3 FM in San Francisco, or online at www.kusf.org). If you can't catch the live broadcast, archived recordings of this and other episodes can be accessed at: www.inthesoulkitchen.blogspot.com
Let's get right to it.