Author Topic: CG/KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 11/9/09  (Read 7123 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: CG/KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 11/9/09
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2009, 08:15:40 AM »
JJ plays early Ree-Ree: "Runnin' Out of Fools"
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2009, 08:35:00 AM »
The Friends of Distinction just spent 2-1/2 minutes going in circles.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2009, 08:37:49 AM »
OMGWTFLOL-of-the-Day: Dr West's Medicine Show & Junk Band (aka a pre-"Spirit in the Sky" Norman Greenbaum) with "The Eggplant That Ate Chicago"!

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2009, 09:19:12 AM »
another 4 Seasons-ish obscurity: Razor's Edge, "Let's call it a Day, Girl" -- woulda loved to hear Frankie V and the joisey boyz cover this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=517XQlVCjGg

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2009, 01:44:07 PM »
wow! RB Greaves' cover of "Always Something There To Remind Me" (his follow-up to "Take a Letter Maria") -- I've maybe heard this once before in my life. A fine version. Shame he didn't have a major career.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 01:51:26 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2009, 08:24:34 AM »
Offshore Radio comes up with a lot of OMGWTF stuff but jeez -- here's Peter Noone doing a cover of Bowie's "Oh You Pretty Things"!  Hearing him sing the line "homo superior" is the highlight of my morning so far.

And here's Rolf ("Tie Me Kangaroo Down") Harris doing a song called "Sun Arise" -- I've heard this song in my hazy past but it wasn't by him. Will have to google and investigate.

ETA: holy crap! it was covered by Alice Cooper -- that's the version I know. Amazing.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2009, 10:48:43 AM »
wow! RB Greaves' cover of "Always Something There To Remind Me" (his follow-up to "Take a Letter Maria") -- I've maybe heard this once before in my life. A fine version. Shame he didn't have a major career.

I downloaded it last night after I read this.  It is great, thanks for the tip!
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2009, 11:12:43 AM »
OMG -- Albert Hammond, "Air Disaster". I have not heard this in decades. Boy did he ever listen to alot of S&G before writing this.  Gaz would esp find this interesting, methinks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbnvD-7AVYY

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2009, 12:00:59 PM »
cover versions up-the-wazoo: Neil McArther (who he?) doing the Zombies' "She's Not There", followed by the Tempts take on "I Second That Emotion".

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2009, 12:15:28 PM »
OMG -- Albert Hammond, "Air Disaster". I have not heard this in decades. Boy did he ever listen to alot of S&G before writing this.  Gaz would esp find this interesting, methinks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbnvD-7AVYY

Haha, it's TOTALLY "Boxer II."  I dig it - thanks!
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2009, 09:14:04 AM »
Obscurity of the Morning: an America LP track, "Everyone I Meet's From California". Cannot recall the last time I heard this.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2009, 12:41:18 PM »
Well, I never expected to hear Spanky & Our Gang's "Give a Damn" on Offshore Radio, esp since they never had a Top 40 hit in the UK. But here it is, sounding wonderful -- and segueing it into "Everyone's Gone To The Moon" was something of a masterstroke.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2009, 03:13:18 PM »
Well, I never expected to hear Spanky & Our Gang's "Give a Damn" on Offshore Radio, esp since they never had a Top 40 hit in the UK. But here it is, sounding wonderful -- and segueing it into "Everyone's Gone To The Moon" was something of a masterstroke.

At some point yesterday, Offshore radio turned in Christian radio, with some vicar or pastor holding forth.  Not sure what the connection was -- perhaps it's a religious station overall, or perhaps part of their broadcast charter requires equal time to community groups?  --  but I didn't stick around too long.  I ignored Spanky and Our Gang's advice chose to not Give a Damn.   hee hee ;) 
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2009, 03:18:46 PM »

At some point yesterday, Offshore radio turned in Christian radio, with some vicar or pastor holding forth.  Not sure what the connection was -- perhaps it's a religious station overall, or perhaps part of their broadcast charter requires equal time to community groups?  --  but I didn't stick around too long.  I ignored Spanky and Our Gang's advice chose to not Give a Damn.   hee hee ;) 

That's a one-hour religious show that comes up several times a week at odd hours (or at least odd to those of us not on Greenwich Mean Time). Unfortunately one of those times is 3pm Pacific, so yeah -- I instantly switch to 'LNG or something.