Author Topic: 13 Nov 2009: a "classic" HFH (Dave's "covers from hell" set)  (Read 21872 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: 13 Nov 2009: a "classic" HFH (Dave's "covers from hell" set)
« Reply #75 on: November 13, 2009, 10:44:36 AM »
Ha! here's "21 Guns"!!

Last nite VH-1 Classic was doing #1 Hits of the '70s (well, the ones they could find clips for) and they played Don McLean's orig "AP" in a live-at-some-college recording. Then the host (orig MTV'er Mark Goodman) mentioned Madonna's version having been voted "Worst Cover Version of All Time"
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 13, 2009, 10:45:37 AM »
And in keeping with the HFH theme, we hear 21 Guns post-set for the first time in a week.

(JK, not really a HFH, but a mightily over-played one.)
Let's get right to it.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 13, 2009, 10:46:42 AM »
Ha! here's "21 Guns"!!

Last nite VH-1 Classic was doing #1 Hits of the '70s (well, the ones they could find clips for) and they played Don McLean's orig "AP" in a live-at-some-college recording. Then the host (orig MTV'er Mark Goodman) mentioned Madonna's version having been voted "Worst Cover Version of All Time"

this is perfect,  21 Guns qualifies as a cover from hell of ELO's Telephone Line
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 13, 2009, 10:47:02 AM »
And in keeping with the HFH theme, we hear 21 Guns post-set for the first time in a week.

(JK, not really a HFH, but a mightily over-played one.)

LOL! and it's followed by "Sweet Home Ala-bummer". I wanna stick around for the bonus, but they're making it difficult.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 13, 2009, 10:48:17 AM »
Then the host (orig MTV'er Mark Goodman) mentioned Madonna's version having been voted "Worst Cover Version of All Time"

I'd believe that.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 10:57:44 AM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 13, 2009, 10:51:33 AM »
2nd time this morning I've heard Susan Tedeschi -- is she in town? Or maybe she's doing "Concert For Kids" yet again?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 13, 2009, 10:55:09 AM »
and here's Joan Jett's "I Love RnR" -- has KFOG been beefing up on the overplayed "classics" in reaction to 103.7 The Band?  Sure seems so to me.

ETA: and now "Love Shack" -- this post-10@10 stretch is more hellish than the HFHs.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 11:01:08 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 13, 2009, 10:56:14 AM »
Friday the 13th....COVERS FROM HELL!!!

1.  Pat Boone - Tutti Frutti 
   2.  Faith Hill - Piece of My Heart
   3.  William Shatner - Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds
   4.  Cartman - Come Sail Away
   5.  Frank Sinatra - Mrs. Robinson
   6.  Pearl Jam - Last Kiss
   7.  Britney Spears - Satisfaction
   8.  Mae West - Light My Fire
   9.  Tiffany - I Think We're Alone Now
  10.  Pat Boone - Enter Sandman

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 13, 2009, 10:58:36 AM »
Sorry that AL is ailin', but it's really a shame she got sick *this* week. I was seriously looking forward to hearing what she'd do with the HFH theme, as were most of us I think.

Btw, we get only one Friday the 13th in 2010--in August. There were 3 of 'em this year, but today was the first since AL took over 10@10.

Points to the KFOG web team for getting the set list posted right after the set though. If they're gonna nix Dave's backsell (as they must, I guess) then that's the least they can do.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 13, 2009, 11:12:59 AM »
Rosalie plays a bonus cover, but it's not hellish at all: California Guitar Trio's terrific version of "Bohemian Rhapsody", an Acoustic Sunrise fave. Magnifico indeed!

and it's followed by Dave's voice saying "KFOG" -- LOL! -- and Jack Johnson with another hellish Foghead fave. Alleluia zig-zag nothing.  I'll seek refuge in Offshore Radio, in anticipation of seeing Pirate Radio this week.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 11:20:03 AM by RGMike »

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 13, 2009, 11:20:51 AM »
and here's Joan Jett's "I Love RnR" -- has KFOG been beefing up on the overplayed "classics" in reaction to 103.7 The Band?  Sure seems so to me.

ETA: and now "Love Shack" -- this post-10@10 stretch is more hellish than the HFHs.

I've noticed this too.  If anything, I thought the Band (which never should have replaced smooth jazz in the first place) would make them skew newer.  And then there's the 10 @ 10's, which have had an average of 1-2 listenable ones per week, for me.  I used to be able to count on 2-4.  But now it's not worth making myself wake up by 10 just to hear something 60s or 70s more often than not.  This recent skewing has really been pushing me to Live 105 (Or Channel 92.3, when it comes in.)  Like KFOG, Live 105 is just as bad about playing to death the same 20 "currents" and recurrents that they've played for years but I guess if I'm going to be bombarded I guess I'd rather be bombarded by newer stuff.  Plus Live 105 has actually been getting better -- they've started re-adding new wave tracks every hour and calling them "Vintage Vinyl."  I've heard Alphaville, A Flock of Seagulls, The Smiths, & others...pretty good stuff.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 13, 2009, 11:28:02 AM »
and it's followed by Dave's voice saying "KFOG" -- LOL! -- and Jack Johnson with another hellish Foghead fave.

Perhaps a subtle nod from one longtime KFOG jock to another? In any case, nicely done Rosalie.
Let's get right to it.

SFGuy

« Reply #87 on: November 13, 2009, 03:29:18 PM »
yeesh -- sounds like a Sinatra paroody.  Listen closely, in the background you can hear "Ka-Ching!"

I remember this show when it was first on the air. I thought this Sinatra song was performed by Joe Piscopo.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 13, 2009, 03:38:22 PM »
Yeah, I used to do that on the R-n-R site too. I actually just joined Pulse Music Board, where there are a lot of the same characters (and amazingly enough, even after nearly a decade, they all act like they're still in high school). I stick mostly to the HAC/AAA board, where it's not quite as obnoxious.

Welcome back! :)
I agree that they still act like they're in high school.  I still post occasionally on there (as 'Corporate American'), but not nearly as much as I used to.  When I do it's Alt., Hot AC/AAA, and sometimes Off-Topic.

Cool, I'll be on the lookout.

There are a handful of really knowledgeable posters in that forum, although it does have more than its share of "Up with Kelly" fans.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 13, 2009, 03:40:43 PM »
2nd time this morning I've heard Susan Tedeschi -- is she in town? Or maybe she's doing "Concert For Kids" yet again?

I haven't done a full-fledge analysis, but if one were to look for the artist who has the highest following ratio:

Plays on KFOG divided by Plays elsewhere, I'm sure Tedeschi would rank somewhere near the top, along with Chuck Prophet and Mike Doughty. Not that there is anything necessarily wrong with that.