Author Topic: 13 Nov 2009: a "classic" HFH (Dave's "covers from hell" set)  (Read 21776 times)

SFGuy

13 Nov 2009: a "classic" HFH (Dave's "covers from hell" set)
« on: November 07, 2009, 03:01:06 AM »
I know it's a week away but any word on if Friday the 13th will be a Hits from hell set?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 09:57:49 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: 13 Nov 2009: HFH?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 10:48:19 AM »
I know it's a week away but any word on if Friday the 13th will be a Hits from hell set?

I have to assume she'll continue the tradition, as she has with the Pride Set and the Spook-tacular. Granted, I don't listen to AL the rest of the day, but there didn't seem to be advance mention of either of those sets, even tho' she referred to them as "Foghead-generated". So if you have an HFH you wanna hear, e-mail her now!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 11:37:50 AM »
Just heard AL solicit Foghead suggestions for HFH--and she's even using the traditional moniker. So it's on, baby, it's on!

She also mentioned that, although HFH sounds like a 70s thing, hits from hell can be from any era. So go wild with your suggestions.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 11:47:07 AM »
Just heard AL solicit Foghead suggestions for HFH--and she's even using the traditional moniker. So it's on, baby, it's on!

She also mentioned that, although HFH sounds like a 70s thing, hits from hell can be from any era. So go wild with your suggestions.

I think an all-Jason Mraz 10@10 would be the ultimate HFH set. ;)  Seriously, I intend to suggest "I'm Yours" as well as some other KFOG faves in addition to the traditional HFH regulars.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 11:32:11 PM »
I'm hoping for "I've Never Been to Me."

I'd suggest "Milkshake," but I'm guessing most of y'all won't know that one.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

SFGuy

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 01:39:46 AM »
If it could be from today, anything from Lady Gaga would be hell even it's not a hit.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 07:37:50 AM »

I know it and you've reminded me that the song that totally ripped it off, Gwen Stefani's "Hollaback Girl", was a bigger hit and is even more hellish.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 11:16:16 AM »
here's the email I sent AL, re: HFH...

Looking forward to Friday's HFH set -- glad you're continuing the tradition, and hope you're feeling better.  And I heartily agree that it's not just a '70s thing, tho' that decade has always seemed to dominate.  My picks below; may I also suggest you could do a set with 2 songs from each decade KFOG covers ('60s-'70s-'80s-'90s-'00s). That would make everyone happy (or piss everyone off).

'60s --    "Honey", Bobby Goldsboro

'70s --    "Float On", The Floaters
   "Get Dancin", Disc-O-Texx

'80s --    "Sister Christian", Night Ranger

'90s --   "Ice Ice Baby", Vanilla Ice
   "Ironic", Alanis Morrissette
   "My Heart Will Go On", Celine Dion

'00s --   "Last Kiss", Pearl Jam
   "Hollaback Girl", Gwen Stefani
   "I'm Yours", Jason Mraz (Yes, a current Foghead fave, but his voice is like fingernails-on-a-blackboard to me)

You have made 10@10 your own and are doing a fabulous job with it!  Thanks!

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 11:28:34 AM »
here's the email I sent AL, re: HFH...

Looking forward to Friday's HFH set -- glad you're continuing the tradition, and hope you're feeling better.  And I heartily agree that it's not just a '70s thing, tho' that decade has always seemed to dominate.  My picks below; may I also suggest you could do a set with 2 songs from each decade KFOG covers ('60s-'70s-'80s-'90s-'00s). That would make everyone happy (or piss everyone off).

'60s --    "Honey", Bobby Goldsboro

'70s --    "Float On", The Floaters
   "Get Dancin", Disc-O-Texx

'80s --    "Sister Christian", Night Ranger

'90s --   "Ice Ice Baby", Vanilla Ice
   "Ironic", Alanis Morrissette
   "My Heart Will Go On", Celine Dion

'00s --   "Last Kiss", Pearl Jam
   "Hollaback Girl", Gwen Stefani
   "I'm Yours", Jason Mraz (Yes, a current Foghead fave, but his voice is like fingernails-on-a-blackboard to me)

You have made 10@10 your own and are doing a fabulous job with it!  Thanks!

very nice email. I'm sure she'll love it. 

Ice Ice Baby is a guilty pleasure. Yes, he ripped of Queen and actually lied about it (per some video interview I saw), but, yo, that shiznit is catchy!  "Stop! Collaborate and listen!"  Word to your mother!

I can't argue w the others...  :)
~CPL593H~

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 11:29:23 AM »
If it could be from today, anything from Lady Gaga would be hell even it's not a hit.

I feel fortunate that I cannot even place one of her songs.  I've seen more than heard her.

~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 11:32:28 AM »

I feel fortunate that I cannot even place one of her songs.  I've seen more than heard her.

I'm baffled by the popularity of women who look like drag queens. LG is one, Wendy Williams (the talk-show host) is another. I mean, just hire a f--ing DQ.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 11:34:45 AM »

I know that one.  I might add Rihanna's Umbrella, ella ella ella.  fricking annoying.

how about:
 Run Joey Run
 Billy Don't be a Hero
 You Light Up My Wife Life

I suppose those are obvious.  Oh wait, the goal here is to put together an interesting set with songs that are lame.  Not just to create a lame set.  So Mike, if she accepts your Mraz suggestion, will you turn the station?  or will hearing it as part of this set create new context and allow you space and temperament to listen to I'm Yours?
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2009, 11:40:19 AM »
Mike, if she accepts your Mraz suggestion, will you turn the station?  or will hearing it as part of this set create new context and allow you space and temperament to listen to I'm Yours?

I'll be givin' it my best-est. ;)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2009, 10:19:02 PM »
Mike, if she accepts your Mraz suggestion, will you turn the station?  or will hearing it as part of this set create new context and allow you space and temperament to listen to I'm Yours?

Don't hate. Participate!

“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2009, 07:27:46 AM »

Don't hate. Participate!

He's everywhere and nowhere, baby
That's where he's at
Burnin' up the KFOG playlist
In his hipster hat