Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1094653 times)

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #2790 on: June 13, 2012, 01:13:49 PM »
Just a random thought, but you don't suppose that the Tony-Melanie-Greg thing was a sort of a "new Coke" ploy by DC/Cumulus to draw attention to the Morning Show, and their real intent was to bring Tim Jeffreys in all along? Had KFOG done any major promotions to hype Twitch and crew (billboards, TV ads, other media buys)? The way things have turned out, the Fogheads will welcome Tim (or whoever they chose to anoint) with open arms simply because he's not nearly the neanderthal that Tony is.

It's possible, but I can't imagine that that scenario would provide too many benefits vs. risks.  Reading the hundreds of posts on the KFOG page it's clear they pissed off a LOT of Fogheads, which doesn't seem like a good strategy regardless of who you're going to eventually bring in.

T. Jeffreys probably would have been welcomed anyway.  Someone on the FFtOF page posted: "Basically they replaced Webster with himself. Which is fine if you're not Webster."

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2791 on: June 13, 2012, 01:48:33 PM »
Just a random thought, but you don't suppose that the Tony-Melanie-Greg thing was a sort of a "new Coke" ploy by DC/Cumulus to draw attention to the Morning Show, and their real intent was to bring Tim Jeffreys in all along? Had KFOG done any major promotions to hype Twitch and crew (billboards, TV ads, other media buys)? The way things have turned out, the Fogheads will welcome Tim (or whoever they chose to anoint) with open arms simply because he's not nearly the neanderthal that Tony is.

I thought a little bit about that, until I remembered what an old manager once told me:

"The problem with these type of conspiracies is that they depend on everybody keeping their damn mouth shut. Which has been proven to be scientifically impossible".

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2792 on: June 13, 2012, 01:49:27 PM »

It's possible, but I can't imagine that that scenario would provide too many benefits vs. risks.  Reading the hundreds of posts on the KFOG page it's clear they pissed off a LOT of Fogheads, which doesn't seem like a good strategy regardless of who you're going to eventually bring in.

T. Jeffreys probably would have been welcomed anyway.  Someone on the FFtOF page posted: "Basically they replaced Webster with himself. Which is fine if you're not Webster."

Yeah... although to a certain extent Twitch got a raw deal, the real victims are Irish Greg and Webster.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2793 on: June 13, 2012, 02:37:09 PM »

I said something similar in a comment on Lieberman's thread. Jeffreys *IS* rather similar in age and voice to Webster, so all those "younger" listeners who supposedly found Webster boring are gonna suddenly love Tim? I dunno. (I'LL be listening but I'm not the target demo)

Again, I'll say that surely there are unemployed thirtysomethings in the biz who could've done a smart, interesting morning show without sounding like Tony & Melanie or babbling about baby poop. Whoever really came up with the Twitch idea (whether DC or Mr Dickey) was really not using their noggin. 
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2794 on: June 13, 2012, 02:46:41 PM »

I said something similar in a comment on Lieberman's thread. Jeffreys *IS* rather similar in age and voice to Webster, so all those "younger" listeners who supposedly found Webster boring are gonna suddenly love Tim? I dunno. (I'LL be listening but I'm not the target demo)

Again, I'll say that surely there are unemployed thirtysomethings in the biz who could've done a smart, interesting morning show without sounding like Tony & Melanie or babbling about baby poop. Whoever really came up with the Twitch idea (whether DC or Mr Dickey) was really not using their noggin.

I think Jeffreys is older than Webster.  My impressions right away is that Jeffreys has more energy and a quicker delivery.  I'm sure he's amped up today of all days, but I think he'll be more spirited than Webster, who often seemed a little too chill for me.  And Webster never really convinced me of his passion; if the show was discussing a topic in that "intelligent" way that Fogheads say they love so much, Webster consistently seemed like he was playing a role and reading his part(s) from a script instead of believing in his opinion and fearlessly leading a conversation.

I met Tony at the station that one time and got the feeling that he was honestly excited to be there.   If there was a new coke conspiracy I don't think he was part of it.   Voice-Tracking him simultaneously on Z-Rock does seem a little odd, though. 
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 02:49:47 PM by Tinka Cat »
~CPL593H~

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2795 on: June 13, 2012, 03:34:25 PM »
My admittedly uneducated take on what happened and why:

1.   The ratings for the morning show with Webster/Irish Greg were declining… gradually, but still on the way down.
2.   Cumulus saw that KFOG was losing market share and wanted to reverse the trend.
3.   Seeing that the likes of Alice were increasing in market share, ostensibly due to a morning show with “tude”, the braintrust decided that KFOG needed something like that.
4.   The likes of Greg Gory and Melanie were brought in for ‘trials’, but while found to be adequate second and third fiddles, were found to be not quite ready for prime time.
5.   A national search was conducted behind the scenes, and voila! They found Twitch.
6.   Due to privacy concerns, Twitch doesn’t have any time to coalesce with Greg and Melanie.
7.   The new show starts May 29, and it is immediately apparent what a huge mistake has been made.
8.   In spite of attempts to tone it down,
a.   The chemistry amongst Twitch/Greg/Melanie doesn’t improve.
b.   Listeners bail in a New York Minute.
9.   A new search is performed quickly (or a review of the first search occurs), and Tim is found to be eager and willing.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2796 on: June 13, 2012, 04:37:54 PM »
Sounds feasible, although I'm not sure what this means:

6.   Due to privacy concerns, Twitch doesn’t have any time to coalesce with Greg and Melanie.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2797 on: June 13, 2012, 04:38:47 PM »
Per FP's Facebook post, a major announcement will be made at 7:30. Only Gory and Melanie on the air.

Damn, I knew I should have played hooky today!

Crap, I thought that voice sounded different as I flipped past it. But it wasn't saying anything interesting enough to listen to.

Who/what is "FP"?

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2798 on: June 13, 2012, 04:40:54 PM »
Per FP's Facebook post, a major announcement will be made at 7:30. Only Gory and Melanie on the air.

Damn, I knew I should have played hooky today!

Crap, I thought that voice sounded different as I flipped past it. But it wasn't saying anything interesting enough to listen to.

Who/what is "FP"?

FP is a fellow G-Snipe, who frequently posts links to Bruce Springsteen videos.

R/ #6, I probably should have rephrased, but my essential point was that Twitch/Greg/Melanie didn't have an adequate period of time to work together before going on the air.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2799 on: June 13, 2012, 06:26:58 PM »
I work hard all day. Don't check FB or listen to radio and I miss a whole lotta shit goin on!
Sharks bleed teal.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2800 on: June 14, 2012, 01:39:43 AM »
Just heard an AL commercial:

"Just heard a commercial: "I'll be on 10@10, right after Tim & Greg."

Hmm...

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2801 on: June 14, 2012, 07:36:30 AM »

Hmm...

What you mean "hmm?"  isn't that expected?   
~CPL593H~

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2802 on: June 14, 2012, 07:55:51 AM »

Hmm...

What you mean "hmm?"  isn't that expected?

Maybe the omission of Melanie earned the hmm. Although she seems to be present this morning.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2803 on: June 14, 2012, 08:46:45 AM »
Just mentioned this on FB but in various forums the past 2 weeks throughout the Twitch debacle -- on FB, radio-info.com, Rich Lieberman's blog -- there've been many unkind comments about other KFOGgers. I'm kind of astounded how many people seem to HATE Irish Greg (!), Dred (!!) and Renee.

And even tho' Melanie is mentioned on the sounders ("KFOG in the Morning! With Tim, Greg, and Melanie!") I haven't heard her this morning -- stranded in the East Bay by the BART thing, perhaps?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 08:48:18 AM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2804 on: June 14, 2012, 08:57:44 AM »
Just mentioned this on FB but in various forums the past 2 weeks throughout the Twitch debacle -- on FB, radio-info.com, Rich Lieberman's blog -- there've been many unkind comments about other KFOGgers. I'm kind of astounded how many people seem to HATE Irish Greg (!), Dred (!!) and Renee.

And even tho' Melanie is mentioned on the sounders ("KFOG in the Morning! With Tim, Greg, and Melanie!") I haven't heard her this morning -- stranded in the East Bay by the BART thing, perhaps?

The quality of comments on the Lieberman blog sometimes approach that of sfgate ("Morey or Dung coming back?" Take a reality pill... or "Radio is dead"), but yeah, the hate of Irish Greg, Renee and Dred really makes you wonder. Somewhat miraculously, AL seems to be mostly spared.

I swear I heard Melanie talking up a Rufus Wainwright album at about 5:20AM, but I may be wrong. Don't have KFOG on at work.