Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1092942 times)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #2745 on: June 02, 2012, 08:28:13 AM »
Hey all, I wrote to Ben Fong-Torres, asked if he had any inside information.  Here's his reply (and my original query below):

Greg's right. it's radio. it's ratings & revenue. It's change. (i don't think it was to cut costs, or they wouldn't have brought in three hosts.)

ben

Hey Ben - is there a "story" behind what happened with KFOG's Morning Show? Axing 14-year veteran Irish Greg and Webster?

Is it as the radio-info.com boards surmise, just a cost-cutting measure?

http://boards.radio-info.com/smf/index.php?topic=212083.10

As Irish Greg writes: "Wow...after 14 years producing the Morning Show at KFOG I just got canned. Radio is a nasty business."

I listened a bit to Greg Gory, Tony Longo and Melanie Walker today. They self-graded their first show as B-/C+.

I wasn't that impressed, but I still long for Dave Morey. ;-{

I keep hearing that the ratings were sinking for Webster and Greg.    Not sure if that was overall ratings of for their desired demographic, which now appears to be younger than before.   The cost cutting measures will include station automation and content syndication --and then we can all really tell it goodbye.
~CPL593H~

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2746 on: June 03, 2012, 11:58:13 PM »
So the some folks in the Facebook thread have been busy beavers. They found Tony/Twitch's Facebook page where he says he will be on the air tomorrow in Lexington, KY at 10AM.

From Facebook:

Quote from: Dave Abston
So I'm a little confused here - according to "Twitch," he's still on the air at his "former" station, Z-Rock 103 in Kentucky:

https://www.facebook.com/twitchradio/posts/360928950635972

It certainly would be interesting to tune into the REAL "Twitch" Monday morning...
Quote from: Dave Abston
According to "Twitch", starting tomorrow, he's going to be doing a show at 10 am on Z-Rock 103, Lexington, KY. That's 7 am, here, so is this show on tape, Dennis? Or is "Twitch" going to divide his time between here and there? Could you please answer, Dennis? BTW, here's the website for Z-Rock 103:

http://www.zrock103.com/

As you can see, it's very similar to KFOG. Let's all call in tomorrow and welcome "Twitch" back!

(If Dave is on this board, nice work!)

And another great comment from Phil:
Quote from: Phil Payne
Anyone's guess as to where Twitch is actually going to be voice-tracking from next week.

Indeed.

Hopefully I'll be awake enough in the morning to remember to try tuning in here at 7AM:
http://zrock103.com/

But I also want to hear Magoo:
http://www.879harrisville.com/whens-the-frequency.html

Ooof, that'll be at 6AM PDT.  Off to bed I go.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2747 on: June 04, 2012, 08:07:42 AM »
Ok, I doubt that Twitch "chose" this song (since I still haven't heard anything but a 10-minute block of commercials, and then straight music), but right now ZRock 103 is playing the Foo Fighters version of Baker Street. ZOMG, *love*

Oh oh oh. I just heard "Twitch"! He just did no more than 10 seconds of front sell for whatever crap song they're playing now. (Oh well, the Foo thing was a fluke.)

He's on until 2PM, they call it "Shut Up and Rock Workday". So I guess it makes it pretty easy to voicetrack.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 08:13:06 AM by darryl »

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2748 on: June 04, 2012, 11:44:49 AM »
Ok, I doubt that Twitch "chose" this song (since I still haven't heard anything but a 10-minute block of commercials, and then straight music), but right now ZRock 103 is playing the Foo Fighters version of Baker Street. ZOMG, *love*

Oh oh oh. I just heard "Twitch"! He just did no more than 10 seconds of front sell for whatever crap song they're playing now. (Oh well, the Foo thing was a fluke.)

He's on until 2PM, they call it "Shut Up and Rock Workday". So I guess it makes it pretty easy to voicetrack.

I tuned in and also heard "Twitch" do a very short intro.  Cumulus wants to voice track as much as possible, I'm thinking (b/c they suck and are evil and that's the way corporate radio wants to save $$).   
~CPL593H~

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2749 on: June 04, 2012, 08:31:07 PM »
I guess "we" could ask AL via Gsnipes page. Or SundayGal can get the inside scoop. Yeah, let's get SG to find out.  :-*
Sharks bleed teal.

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2750 on: June 05, 2012, 07:50:51 AM »
I guess "we" could ask AL via Gsnipes page. Or SundayGal can get the inside scoop. Yeah, let's get SG to find out.  :-*

I know nada!  :) :-X

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2751 on: June 05, 2012, 08:59:57 AM »

What's to know? voice-tracking is very common; no surprise that Twitch is still being heard in KY.  I mean, Renel is voice tracked on Kiss-FM's morning show and nobody seems to notice.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2752 on: June 05, 2012, 10:58:24 AM »

Gsnipes?

On an unrelated note, have you guys heard WTFHarrisville? I keep tuning in at 6AM trying to hear those dulcet tones, but haven't had much luck. But whoever's at the board right now is *rockin* it:  http://www.ustream.tv/channel/wtfharrisville

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2753 on: June 05, 2012, 11:05:08 AM »

What's to know? voice-tracking is very common; no surprise that Twitch is still being heard in KY.  I mean, Renel is voice tracked on Kiss-FM's morning show and nobody seems to notice.

Probably not significant, but the new Morning team is still not shown on KFOG's airstaff page. They do have a page up specifically for KFOG in the Morning, featuring a mediocre cellphone pic of the trio and some bios that sound like they were written by Ned Flanders. Tony's says he spends his off-hours searching the city for "the best hole in the wall to get a beer and burger."  Didn't Webster's bio say something similar when he came to the morning show?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 11:39:49 AM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2754 on: June 05, 2012, 11:22:06 AM »

Gsnipes?

On an unrelated note, have you guys heard WTFHarrisville? I keep tuning in at 6AM trying to hear those dulcet tones, but haven't had much luck. But whoever's at the board right now is *rockin* it:  http://www.ustream.tv/channel/wtfharrisville

Just checked out their page again, and glad I did. The stream sounds good, but a banner on the home page says they're off the air for a week starting tomorrow through Wednesday the 13th.

Btw, "Gsnipes" is the Guttersnipes, a private facebook group consisting of a fair number of the people who post regularly on AL's Fbook page, including a few of our number.  Lots more chatter than we have here. One of us can add you if you want to check it out.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 11:51:05 PM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2755 on: June 05, 2012, 11:30:23 AM »

ah, but she used the "my lips are sealed" smiley!
~CPL593H~

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2756 on: June 05, 2012, 12:01:36 PM »

Gsnipes?

Just checked out their page again, and glad I did. The stream sounds good, but a banner on the home page says they're off the air for a week starting tomorrow through Wednesday the 13th.

Btw, "Gsnipes" is the Guttersnipes, a private facebook group consisting of a fair number of the people who post regularly on AL's Fbook page, including a few of our number.  Lots more chatter than we have here. One of us can add you if you want to check it out.

Yes, I'd appreciate an add.  The guy hosting right now is not him. But Magoo2You is occasionally chatting in the ustream chat, and since Magoo has the morning slot, I'm guessing that's him. But ugh, I've woken up at 6AM for the past two days and fired up the stream to get nada, so that's been disappointing.

But perusing the site, it looks like he's recruited some local volunteer jocks. I wonder just how low-powered his transmitter is. The current DJ joked that his signal reached all the way to the groundskeeper of such-and-such school. "Breaks over!" Cute.

The ustream has the annoying commercial breaks (that do *not* wait for gaps), but it's been enjoyable listening for the past few hours.

Say, do you think this is a photo of young him?

« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 11:55:10 PM by urth »

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2757 on: June 05, 2012, 12:16:57 PM »

Gsnipes?

Yes, I'd appreciate an add.  The guy hosting right now is not him. But Magoo2You is occasionally chatting in the ustream chat, and since Magoo has the morning slot, I'm guessing that's him. But ugh, I've woken up at 6AM for the past two days and fired up the stream to get nada, so that's been disappointing.

But perusing the site, it looks like he's recruited some local volunteer jocks. I wonder just how low-powered his transmitter is. The current DJ joked that his signal reached all the way to the groundskeeper of such-and-such school. "Breaks over!" Cute.

The ustream has the annoying commercial breaks (that do *not* wait for gaps), but it's been enjoyable listening for the past few hours.

Say, do you think this is a photo of young him?

Just added you, Darryl!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 11:55:48 PM by urth »
~CPL593H~

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2758 on: June 05, 2012, 02:16:33 PM »
I just heard him! He's playing just the vocal tracks of some Motown hits. Aw man, sweet.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2759 on: June 05, 2012, 02:59:18 PM »
I just heard him! He's playing just the vocal tracks of some Motown hits. Aw man, sweet.

Just tuned in. Todd's "Onomotopoeia (In Proximity-a)", followed by Herb Alpert. Dee-lightful.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round