Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1096293 times)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #2760 on: June 05, 2012, 03:00:11 PM »
I just heard him! He's playing just the vocal tracks of some Motown hits. Aw man, sweet.

I tuned in but heard no real voice, but it must have been his show, b/c I heard Jackie Wilson's Higher and Higher. That's like his all-time favorite song.

I also heard Michael Penn No Myth and the Cars' Magic. Pretty common stuff.   Plus every ten minutes a 30-second ad takes over the stream, right in the middle of the song.  I don't think I'll be back anytime soon, unless I hear about a show that plays some really different.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2761 on: June 05, 2012, 03:29:15 PM »
I just heard him! He's playing just the vocal tracks of some Motown hits. Aw man, sweet.

I tuned in but heard no real voice, but it must have been his show, b/c I heard Jackie Wilson's Higher and Higher. That's like his all-time favorite song.

I also heard Michael Penn No Myth and the Cars' Magic. Pretty common stuff.   Plus every ten minutes a 30-second ad takes over the stream, right in the middle of the song.  I don't think I'll be back anytime soon, unless I hear about a show that plays some really different.

DUDE! MC5, "Back in the USA"! " '69 American terminal stasis. The air's so thick it's like breathin' in molasses." Followed by Bowie, "Win".

But if you click that "go to the new USTREAM" tab it takes you to a stream that appears to be commercial-free.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2762 on: June 05, 2012, 09:04:16 PM »
Oooh, ad-free would be nice.

Chatted a bit more with "Magoo" and he remembered me and the family from Live and Locals down in San Jose...

Yeah, I heard a version of Roll Over Beethoven that rocked, sent an e-mail and he confirmed that it was also MC5. So yeah, definitely our man, right?

They're going to be applying for an FCC license later this year. Legit!

[Running his own radio station on lake -- living the dream, I guess. :-]

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2763 on: June 08, 2012, 09:57:27 AM »
damn, is KFOG playing Mumford's "The Cave" MORE than they have been recently?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2764 on: June 09, 2012, 01:03:29 PM »
Rich Lieberman's latest Cumulus update:

http://richliebermanreport.blogspot.com/2012/06/nervous-central-at-cumulus-sf-john.html

And TC, I agree his posts are rather rambling (well, it *is* a blog) and was interested in your FB comment that SFGate doesn't use him any more. Have they cleaned house, outside-blog-wise? I haven't seen that idiot Zennie62 lately either.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2765 on: June 09, 2012, 04:06:10 PM »
damn, is KFOG playing Mumford's "The Cave" MORE than they have been recently?

It's at 11 spins/wk for the past two weeks.  I've heard it more too, it probably had much less than that right before A-Z.

A few other post A-Z subtle genericization tweaks to their currents:

"Somebody That I Used to Know" is back.

The new cuts from Jack White ("I'm Shakin'"), Edward Sharpe/00s ("Man on Fire"), Bruce Springsteen ("Wrecking Ball") and yes, even Train ("This'll Be My Year"), which weren't added that long ago, are already gone.  But we're still getting "Home" and "Drive By"...  ::)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 08:05:15 PM by radical347 »

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2766 on: June 09, 2012, 04:13:04 PM »
Oh geez, some fogheads are really trying to make the morning show fiasco into a SF vs. Kentucky thing...   :-\

A bunch of them have gone to the Twitch show's page, posted sarcastic comments (and then bragged about how they were banned for it), and now they wonder why Twitch's fans are getting angry.  ::)

It does also seem that Twitch needs a thicker skin--i.e. it's not good form for Tony Twitch to "Like" posts that say things like "I wouldn't spend one minute of my life even thinking about going (to SF). They really are full of it."

I can't say I'm thrilled with the new morning show myself, yet, or Tony, but I wish people would leave his old fans out of it--he is a public figure and fair grounds for criticism, particularly on the KFOG page.  His fans, on their home turf, are not.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 04:15:27 PM by radical347 »

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2767 on: June 09, 2012, 08:25:28 PM »
Oh geez, some fogheads are really trying to make the morning show fiasco into a SF vs. Kentucky thing...   :-\

A bunch of them have gone to the Twitch show's page, posted sarcastic comments (and then bragged about how they were banned for it), and now they wonder why Twitch's fans are getting angry.  ::)

It does also seem that Twitch needs a thicker skin--i.e. it's not good form for Tony Twitch to "Like" posts that say things like "I wouldn't spend one minute of my life even thinking about going (to SF). They really are full of it."

I can't say I'm thrilled with the new morning show myself, yet, or Tony, but I wish people would leave his old fans out of it--he is a public figure and fair grounds for criticism, particularly on the KFOG page.  His fans, on their home turf, are not.

Agreed.  Such a hullabaloo!  (pardon my french)

Personally, I didn't listen to Webster et al that much, so I don't have that much of a stake in it.  From what I've heard so far of the morning show, I say, meh.  But I do find his voice to be less than pleasant.  He's got a great voice for a mime, imo.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2768 on: June 10, 2012, 07:20:23 PM »

I agree that turning the whole thing into a Facebook pissing contest is silly and counter-productive. Meanwhile, Mrs Twitch and one of their friends apparently joined "Fogheads For the Old Format" with the express purpose of reporting back to him about what's being said. What is this, the 6th grade?

But here's the thing: Even if you take all of Twitch's past misbehaviors and put them in a 2-ply Hefty bag and toss them in the Bay and take them out of the equation entirely, they've still got a show that's something of a trainwreck and that appears to be at odds with what the station is currently doing the other 20 hours of the day.  And maybe that's the idea, but if it is then they should own it and go from there, instead of DC issuing statements on the 'net and to the press that are insulting to anyone with a brain ("One thing the station has missed in recent years is talking about what's important"? What the what?) and that make him look stupid.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2769 on: June 10, 2012, 10:30:57 PM »

I agree that turning the whole thing into a Facebook pissing contest is silly and counter-productive. Meanwhile, Mrs Twitch and one of their friends apparently joined "Fogheads For the Old Format" with the express purpose of reporting back to him about what's being said. What is this, the 6th grade?

i just joined he group, for shits an giggles.

how do you know these specific people joined?   can they be outed?  does it matter?
~CPL593H~

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2770 on: June 11, 2012, 12:06:23 PM »
Yeah, I'm by no means thrilled by the changes to the morning show, but some of the comments I've seen.... sheesh.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2771 on: June 11, 2012, 12:09:07 PM »
What the what?

I am so stealing this.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2772 on: June 11, 2012, 12:27:43 PM »
What the what?

I am so stealing this.

I stole it from 30 Rock -- Tina Fey's way of saying WTF on network TV without really saying it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2773 on: June 11, 2012, 08:08:15 PM »
May ratings are in:

http://www.radio-info.com/markets/san-francisco

KFOG down slightly, again. (so, A-to-Z didn't do anything?)

Alice has been trending upward (wait -- people actually listen to Alice?)

KGO: all-time low.

And the Bone is treading water -- KNBR-FM on its way?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 08:11:58 PM by RGMike »

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2774 on: June 12, 2012, 03:11:54 PM »

Ok, that's also pretty obnoxious.  But what could she have possibly accomplished by joining the group?  You can read posts even if you're not a member.  I doubt they would make it private because that'd defeat the purpose of the group.  One of the posters said that Mrs. Twitch "reported" a bunch of the posts, but you can do that even if you're not a member too.

May ratings are in:

http://www.radio-info.com/markets/san-francisco

KFOG down slightly, again. (so, A-to-Z didn't do anything?)

How has KFOG fared during previous A-Zs?  My guess is that the drop was, sadly, due to A-Z.  These types of things sound cool but aren't particularly good for ratings.  (While I normally wouldn't bat an eye at 2.8>2.6, I think 2.6 is actually the lowest I've seen the "new" KFOG.)