Author Topic: woo Hoo! it's 1969 on Mon 5/16/05  (Read 12661 times)

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
woo Hoo! it's 1969 on Mon 5/16/05
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2005, 09:41:26 PM »
Quote from: "Gaz at da  Voice"
And Ali - So you've done the deed, have ya?  Good on you!  Destination known or unknown?

We had a mutual three month notice during which time I have been looking. My last day will not extend beyond May 31st. My wish is/was to take the summer off and go to all Giants daytime home games. I have my exit interview Tuesday morning so probably no 10@10.

I might have found a new place to hang my proverbial hat however. I have a third interview tomorrow afternoon and they called one of my references this morning. The only unknown is salary, we haven't talked about it yet and I just don't know when to bring it up. The location is approx. 2 miles from my house!

I had a phone interview Friday with a major company in SF but I really don't want a commute and they haven't called again.

How's your work situation? The one door closing and a better one opening saying will hopefully be true.
Sharks bleed teal.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2005, 11:09:11 PM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
We had a mutual three month notice during which time I have been looking. My last day will not extend beyond May 31st. My wish is/was to take the summer off and go to all Giants daytime home games. I have my exit interview Tuesday morning so probably no 10@10.

I might have found a new place to hang my proverbial hat however. I have a third interview tomorrow afternoon and they called one of my references this morning. The only unknown is salary, we haven't talked about it yet and I just don't know when to bring it up. The location is approx. 2 miles from my house!

I had a phone interview Friday with a major company in SF but I really don't want a commute and they haven't called again.

How's your work situation? The one door closing and a better one opening saying will hopefully be true.

I'm not a believer in bringing up salary, unless money's too tight to mention.  If they're decent people they're not going to horribly low-ball you.  If you want to bring it up, you can always take the indirect route of asking about other benes (health insurance, sick/vaca days, 401k) and let then take the cue to talk about compensation in wide-angle.

As for my work situation, it's chaotic.  In a good way.  I guess having the Voice on my resume has its advantages.  The rundown goes like this (as much to remind myself as anything else):

* Pitched coverage of the Playing For Life softball tournament to Outsports.com -- accepted!  To be written over 4th of July weekend.
* Pitched a review of the new Aimee Mann album to the Voice -- accepted!  Already turned in, though it probably won't run until early June.
* Turned in my already-assigned summary of the EMP Pop Conference to StarPolish.com -- accepted, though we haven't talked compensation, and I'm frankly dissatisfied with the pictures I provided as part of my story.
* Pitched coverage to the Voice of a streaming media conference taking place tomorrow and Wednesday -- rejected by the print side, but accepted by the web managing editor as a web-only piece.  To be written Wednesday and Thursday, assuming I can get press credentials same-day.
* Requested 5 album reviews and 3 artist biographies to write for AMG -- was assigned 3 and 3 (including the bio of the Rubettes, which I devoured while doing my EMP research).  To be written over the next 10 days.
* Turned in latest set of 8 StarPolish reviews (a low-paying gig, but one that's mine for as long as I want it).
* Was asked to write a jacket quote for an illustrated novel with soundtrack that's almost ready for release.
* Updated resume/dossier at MediaBistro.com, Monster.com, JournalismJobs.com, and MTV Jobhunt, no takers from those sources.
* Got an email today from someone asking me for my resume, to consider me for work as a fact-checker with a startup magazine.
* Got ideas for about 6 other articles I want to pitch, if I can ever find the time and the focus.

So that's freelance life, a feeling not far removed from Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2005, 08:34:16 PM »

Hey, good luck with this new opportunity--hope it comes thru if you really want it. The fact that it's so close to home is of immeasurable value--not having to spend hour(s) in the car every day (or rather, getting a little more time at home), not to mention less $ for gas in these usurous times, is huge.

And I agree with Gaz about the salary--when it's time to talk about that, you'll talk. So long as it's not a startup, they should at least make you a decent offer, and you can always negotiate--generally, don't take the first offer (at least not right off the bat).

And to stay on topic, I was just listening to this set (1969) and realized that there was no Beatles in this one--not unheard of, but kind of a rarity for sets of this vintage.
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2005, 11:14:08 AM »
Quote from: "Gaz at da  Voice"
And Ali - So you've done the deed, have ya?  Good on you!  Destination known or unknown?

My 2 cents worth on the new job negotiations:  job title is ultimately more important than starting salary.  I get paid far les than the average BusDev Director, but that 'Director' is invaluable for both intiating contacts within this job & for leveraging to the next one (which I am getting pretty serious about).  Conversely my wife got stuck for far too long with a damned 'Associate' stuck in front of her job title, and although incremental raises and bonuses were no trouble, being an 'Associate' really held her back on the grand scale.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2005, 09:35:48 PM »
Thanks for the words of wisdom. I don't really know what the official title of the job is or will be. I need to ask. We did discuss bene's and financials. I expected more so I'm trying to get it figured out in my mind and come back with an increased request. The benefits SUCK so I want to have increased salary to compensate for what I'm walking away from. Yes, not having a commute, mass transit or gas costs plus time costs, do add up in my favor.

I need to figure it out tonight and email them by tomorrow. I really want to gice it a shot as being employed will be better than not. I can always keep looking if it doesn't work. Three other jobs I really thought would be great, never called me. It's scary thinking about new challenges. I know I can do it but still worry about not meeting their expectations.

BTW Urth, a really nice guy I work with mentioned he saw a job of interest at Cnet. Not sure what or if he's really ready to jump ship.
Sharks bleed teal.