Author Topic: RIP Michael Jackson - The King of Pop is dead  (Read 23480 times)

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Michael Jackson - The King of Pop is dead (or... IS he?)
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2009, 10:40:21 PM »
98.1 KISS is playing "Human Nature," one of the best cuts from Thriller.  I also like the perennial wedding fave "Wanna Be Startin' something" -- ah hell, that whole album is great.  I'll be surprised and amazed (and disappointed) if AL does not include some MJ in tomorrow's 10at10 set.  I'll melt, like hot candle wax.
OK, but if she was planning a Pride set for tomorrow, what song from his catalog would fit in?
"Wanna Be Starting Something"  "The Love You Save"  "Ben"  "Man in the Mirror" 

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2009, 10:41:19 PM »
Just did a scan of the radio dial: KPOO (of course) was in full-on all-Michael mode, and Movin' 99.7, KBLX and KMEL were all doing tributes.
You forgot 98.1 KISS
tonights "between the sheets" show is taking MJ requests and playing em all.

98.1 KISS is playing "Human Nature," one of the best cuts from Thriller.  I also like the perennial wedding fave "Wanna Be Startin' something" -- ah hell, that whole album is great.

I'll be surprised and amazed (and disappointed) if AL does not include some MJ in tomorrow's 10at10 set.  I'll melt, like hot candle wax.

OK, but if she was planning a Pride set for tomorrow, what song from his catalog would fit in?

She was planning a Pride set as of about 4 minutes before I heard the news about MJ.  See my post in the Executive thread.

Uh, what post? As of a minute or two ago, the last post there was from almost a week ago.

ETA: OK, *now* it's there. Looks like we were leapfrogging one another between boards.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 10:43:07 PM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2009, 10:42:59 PM »
Just did a scan of the radio dial: KPOO (of course) was in full-on all-Michael mode, and Movin' 99.7, KBLX and KMEL were all doing tributes.
You forgot 98.1 KISS

98.1 KISS is playing "Human Nature," one of the best cuts from Thriller.  I also like the perennial wedding fave "Wanna Be Startin' something" -- ah hell, that whole album is great.

I'll be surprised and amazed (and disappointed) if AL does not include some MJ in tomorrow's 10at10 set.  I'll melt, like hot candle wax.

She was planning a Pride set as of about 4 minutes before I heard the news about MJ.  See my post in the Executive thread.

Uh, what post? As of a minute or two ago, the last post there was from almost a week ago.

try now.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

SFGuy

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2009, 12:25:24 AM »
You forgot 98.1 KISS

MTV at 3:30PM on their east coast feed (so it played at 6:30PM PT) canceled their regular programming and played all of Michael Jackson's videos.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2009, 01:42:01 AM »
You forgot 98.1 KISS

"In the Closet," ba-dum-tish.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2009, 07:52:06 AM »
You forgot 98.1 KISS

"In the Closet," ba-dum-tish.

LOL!   Thanks, Gaz.

Alicat, somehow MJ + "Between the sheets" seems wrong on a number of levels.

Fave message-board post so far:

He was born black and he died white.

That, my friends, is the American Dream.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Michael Jackson - The King of Pop is dead
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2009, 08:13:17 AM »
From the "How does this affect MEEE?" department: TIME is crashing a Michael Jackson cover, trying to get it to production tomorrow evening.  The good news is that I don't have to start work today until 3pm instead of noon.  The bad news is that I have to stay on till 3am.  And I was supposed to be at Central Park tomorrow morning at 8 to register for a 5-mile run.  Hrmm.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2009, 08:23:12 AM »
From the "How does this affect MEEE?" department: TIME is crashing a Michael Jackson cover, trying to get it to production tomorrow evening.  The good news is that I don't have to start work today until 3pm instead of noon.  The bad news is that I have to stay on till 3am.  And I was supposed to be at Central Park tomorrow morning at 8 to register for a 5-mile run.  Hrmm.

you should show up for work wearing a surgical mask...

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2009, 08:52:32 AM »

At 4pm both altenative stations, Live 105 & Channel 104.9, were playing MJ tunes ("Smooth Criminal" & "Beat It" respectively).

Of course, Live 105's current target demo only knows "Smooth Criminal" from the AAF cover... ;)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2009, 08:56:53 AM »
98.1 KISS is playing "Human Nature," one of the best cuts from Thriller.  I also like the perennial wedding fave "Wanna Be Startin' something" -- ah hell, that whole album is great.  I'll be surprised and amazed (and disappointed) if AL does not include some MJ in tomorrow's 10at10 set.  I'll melt, like hot candle wax.
"Wanna Be Starting Something"  "The Love You Save"  "Ben"  "Man in the Mirror" 

I can see Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' there -- perhaps as a call for more rights, say?

eta:  actually I meant to say I can see Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough in re: gay rights.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 09:31:24 AM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2009, 10:03:05 AM »
Now we know I'm no fan of TMZ, but they *did* beat the MSM by nearly an hour yesterday. They report:

"a close member of Michael Jackson's family" that Jackson "received a daily injection of a synthetic narcotic similar to morphine -- Demerol -- and yesterday he received a shot at 11:30 am" and that "family members are saying the dosage was 'too much' and that's what caused his death."

TMZ is also reporting that "law enforcement [reps are] looking for a doctor who may have given Jackson an injection before he died. [The doctor] lived at Michael Jackson's home [but] is nowhere to be found. Law enforcement sources tell us a BMW belonging to the doctor was towed from Jackson's home last night."

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2009, 10:50:26 AM »
Now we know I'm no fan of TMZ, but they *did* beat the MSM by nearly an hour yesterday. They report:

"a close member of Michael Jackson's family" that Jackson "received a daily injection of a synthetic narcotic similar to morphine -- Demerol -- and yesterday he received a shot at 11:30 am" and that "family members are saying the dosage was 'too much' and that's what caused his death."

TMZ is also reporting that "law enforcement [reps are] looking for a doctor who may have given Jackson an injection before he died. [The doctor] lived at Michael Jackson's home [but] is nowhere to be found. Law enforcement sources tell us a BMW belonging to the doctor was towed from Jackson's home last night."
I think TMZ just floods the scene w "reporters" who try to get the story any way they can.  Maybe they even pay out cash when it'll get ppl to talk?  (not sure what TMZ means, maybe "The Money Zone?") They were prob on the scene at the hospital yesterday and heard the rumor that he died and they called it into their site.  Fact Checks? Source standards?  pfft!   no need! 

I'm sure MSN has higher standards and will get verification before running the story.   We linked to TMZ's early "MJ's dead" story yesterday, but we usually go by AP's story before we can say something w certainty.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2009, 12:53:13 PM »
Mean (but undeniably funny) MJ joke of the moment:

"CNN reports that Michael Jackson died from eating 3-year-old weiners and 9-year-old nuts"

http://www.instantrimshot.com/

and the Onion weighs in:

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/king_of_pop_dead_at_12
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 01:05:12 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2009, 03:10:13 PM »
LAWD!  JJ on KPOO is in all-MJ-all-the-time mode this afternoon. Blame it on the Boogie!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2009, 03:16:41 PM »
OMG I haven't heard "Lady in My Life" in ages.

OTOH... coulda done without The Doggone Girl is Mine. But if Macca gets back the rights to the Beatle catalog in MJ's will, all is forgiven.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 03:27:41 PM by RGMike »