Author Topic: CG/KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 6/1/09  (Read 5086 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: CG/KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 6/1/09
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2009, 03:56:35 PM »
Holy crap! Scott "San Francisco" MacKenzie's rarely-heard other charted single: "Like an Old-Time Movie". Rather nice.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2009, 04:07:14 PM »
"WLNG! ... <ding> ..."

so I just heard Eddie Vedder's version of Hide Your Love Away on LNG, but this deejay just mentioned that Paul, the longtime staion mgr (?), who died recently, loved PJ's Last Kiss.  Not sure if the deejay played that before Hide..., but glad I missed it in any case.

He didn't play "LK" thank gawd.  Radio trivia, re: the <ding!> -- legendary WABC had a similar jingle package, they'd sing the call letters after every song and there was a <ding!> after the call letters only if the song was in the top 14. (WABC was at 770 on the dial and so sevens entered into everything.)  'LNG just dings willy-nilly, which is rough if you're listening with a hangover.

ETA: Mah-Mo-Yeah! here come the 'berries, always in *my* top 14.

multiples os sevens-- wasn't there a drinking game called "Bizz-Buzz" that employed multiples of sevens and fours?  does that <ding> a bell?
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2009, 02:18:29 PM »
OMGWTF-of-the-afternoon: 'LNG plays the Sarah Vaughn "Who listens to radio/toast and marma-ladio" jingle that Mr Morey loves so much. A treat.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2009, 07:24:01 PM »
"WLNG! ... <ding> ..."

so I just heard Eddie Vedder's version of Hide Your Love Away on LNG, but this deejay just mentioned that Paul, the longtime staion mgr (?), who died recently, loved PJ's Last Kiss.  Not sure if the deejay played that before Hide..., but glad I missed it in any case.

He didn't play "LK" thank gawd.  Radio trivia, re: the <ding!> -- legendary WABC had a similar jingle package, they'd sing the call letters after every song and there was a <ding!> after the call letters only if the song was in the top 14. (WABC was at 770 on the dial and so sevens entered into everything.)  'LNG just dings willy-nilly, which is rough if you're listening with a hangover.

ETA: Mah-Mo-Yeah! here come the 'berries, always in *my* top 14.

multiples os sevens-- wasn't there a drinking game called "Bizz-Buzz" that employed multiples of sevens and fours?  does that <ding> a bell?

*hic* um, yeah.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2009, 10:17:43 PM »
KPOO's JJ is MIA for the 3rd Saturday in a row -- apparently his mom passed away recently.

But -- TANC -- whoever's sitting in for him just played Gladys & Co's "Daddy Could Swear", which we didn't get to hear on Casey's '70s due to that chart snafu. It shoulda been there! I've always loved that one, even as I hate the way Motown tried to screw Gladys by releasing it to get the jump on her first Buddha release, "Where Peaceful Waters Flow".

Indeed, the KPOO mystery deejay is also concentrating on '73 tonite: "Let's Get it On", "Touch Me in the Morning" (a Casey extra this week), the J-5 with "Get it Together" and Willie Hutch's fantabulous "Brother's Gonna Work It Out".

But NTM: a nearly unrecognizable Edwin Starr with "There You Go", which just-barely charted pop in the summer of '73
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 10:36:57 PM by RGMike »