Author Topic: 1 June 2009: the Annalisa era begins in... 1995  (Read 20428 times)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 1 June 2009: the Annalisa era begins in... 1995
« Reply #90 on: June 01, 2009, 01:44:38 PM »
Annalisa's use of the My Three Sons theme music for her  My Three Songs contests is inspired

of course, Dave thought that up originally, when M3S was a daily (9am) Morning Show feature.  I'm surprised it's still used, actually, since no probably one in KFOG's target demo has actually *seen* an episode of My Three Sons

did you see the M3Sons eps on KOFY TV-20 the other week?  I caught the last two, and they were both concerned with past, memories, moving on in time, etc.  very appropriate for a night of old-timey nostalgia tv.

In one, Steve takes the boys back to his childhood neighborhood and looks up old friends/flames.  His old flame is in a dysfunctional marriage, she yells at her kids, threatens to hit them, yikes!  tough stuff for the late 60s!

In the other, the family moves to LA b/c Steve has a new job.  The miss their old house, their old small town, their friends.  Uncle Charlie goes grocery shopping, is put off by the cashier's gruff impersonal treatment. so he pretty much goes ape-shit, yells at her specifically and all of LA in general as he pays and leaves. 

man, LA is tough, but Uncle Charley needs to get laid.
~CPL593H~

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 01, 2009, 01:44:43 PM »
Annalisa's use of the My Three Sons theme music for her  My Three Songs contests is inspired

of course, Dave thought that up originally, when M3S was a daily (9am) Morning Show feature.  I'm surprised it's still used, actually, since no probably one in KFOG's target demo has actually *seen* an episode of My Three Sons

Ya know, I'd always thought that M. Dung first came up with that, even before Dave was on the morning show.  I know he had a version where he said "songs" over the original audio of Fred MacMurray saying "sons".
"Play the tape machine, make the toast and tea"

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 01, 2009, 01:56:20 PM »
another BOS to Wire Elastica!

ha, Mike!  I meant to say Wire  :)

their song Three Girl Rhumba contains the riff that inspired Elastica

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75-0qIgZjXs
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 02:03:13 PM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 01, 2009, 01:57:18 PM »

Ya know, I'd always thought that M. Dung first came up with that, even before Dave was on the morning show.  I know he had a version where he said "songs" over the original audio of Fred MacMurray saying "sons".

Well, you go further back with KFOG than I do, so I assume you're right. Though I started listening to 10@10 in late '92, I didin't switch to the KFOG Morning Show until '98 or so -- after Live 105 brought in Stern (I'd listened to Alex Bennett and his replacement Johnny Steele, but had no use for Stern).
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #94 on: June 01, 2009, 03:24:11 PM »
you are correct sir!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 01, 2009, 03:27:41 PM »

Really?  I always think of them targeting the olds (40-50) with all the Fleetwood Mac, Eagles, Bonnie Raitt and Eric Clapton.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 01, 2009, 03:32:51 PM »
Also weird -- background music (I think it's called a "bed") behind Annalisa as she did the rundown.  Ugh.  I know it's her trademark, as she uses similar music during the bonus track, or my 3 songs.  (I guess she apparently doesn't feel as comfortable with just her voice alone, or comes from the school of radio-must-have-lots-of-crap-going-on-in-the-background-for-it-to-be-good.)  I was definitely missing Dave during that part.  When a 10@10 was over, it was like sitting down with a really good friend and having a great chat.  *SIIIIGH*.

I heard Rosalie using a background-music-bed over the weekend too. It's very much a consultant-mandated idea. It supposedly tricks the typical station-flipping listener (in cars especially) into stopping to listen because they hear music rather than just talking.

I didn't notice the bed today, but I've heard it used well in some cases (for instance, the use of Kraftwerk's Autobahn during traffic reports on the Morning show.  And Annalisa's use of the My Three Sons theme music for her  My Three Songs contests is inspired,)  Then again, if it's part of the corporate cookie cutter radio mandate thing, I'd like to see it dumped, just because!  *gives power fist salute*

You're right that "beds" are not bad per se, and oftentimes the morning show gets it right.  (Best example of this -- my favorite band (along w/ Peter Finch), Barenaked Ladies were doing an in-studio appearance.  Renee did the traffic with them playing live accompaniment. I recognized the tune, but they were goofing with the lyrics.  After she mentioned some "slow stuff" in Martinez, I believe their drummer Tyler started singing "Slooooow stuffff", causing Renee to barely keep it together to finish.  Later listening to my recording of the appearance, I realized what the song was -> Bruce Cockburn's "Last Night Of The World" which includes the line:  "the radio's playing Superchunk and the friends of Dean Martinez".

Brilliant.  TANC indeed.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 01, 2009, 03:35:21 PM »
Also weird -- background music (I think it's called a "bed") behind Annalisa as she did the rundown.  Ugh.  I know it's her trademark, as she uses similar music during the bonus track, or my 3 songs.  (I guess she apparently doesn't feel as comfortable with just her voice alone, or comes from the school of radio-must-have-lots-of-crap-going-on-in-the-background-for-it-to-be-good.)  I was definitely missing Dave during that part.  When a 10@10 was over, it was like sitting down with a really good friend and having a great chat.  *SIIIIGH*.

I heard Rosalie using a background-music-bed over the weekend too. It's very much a consultant-mandated idea. It supposedly tricks the typical station-flipping listener (in cars especially) into stopping to listen because they hear music rather than just talking.

I didn't notice the bed today, but I've heard it used well in some cases (for instance, the use of Kraftwerk's Autobahn during traffic reports on the Morning show.  And Annalisa's use of the My Three Sons theme music for her  My Three Songs contests is inspired,)  Then again, if it's part of the corporate cookie cutter radio mandate thing, I'd like to see it dumped, just because!  *gives power fist salute*

You're right that "beds" are not bad per se, and oftentimes the morning show gets it right.  (Best example of this -- my favorite band (along w/ Peter Finch), Barenaked Ladies were doing an in-studio appearance.  Renee did the traffic with them playing live accompaniment. I recognized the tune, but they were goofing with the lyrics.  After she mentioned some "slow stuff" in Martinez, I believe their drummer Tyler started singing "Slooooow stuffff", causing Renee to barely keep it together to finish.  Later listening to my recording of the appearance, I realized what the song was -> Bruce Cockburn's "Last Night Of The World" which includes the line:  "the radio's playing Superchunk and the friends of Dean Martinez".

Brilliant.  TANC indeed.

if they were local, they would have changed that line to ".. the friends of Bridge Carquinez."     :P

~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 01, 2009, 03:37:11 PM »

Really?  I always think of them targeting the olds (40-50) with all the Fleetwood Mac, Eagles, Bonnie Raitt and Eric Clapton.

They are def one of the oldest-skewing Triple-A's in the country, but you don't sell ad time by targeting folks my age as your prime demo. So the "currents" they play are all Coldplay, Snow Patrol, DCFC, DMB, and general Mraz-tastic Feist-y-ness. And I'm sure Cumulus has been on their case to "go younger".

Funny, we talked recently about how they should pay attention to Little Steven's "coolest song of the week" picks; and I noticed that The Peak is playing a recent one, the NY Dolls' new track ("Because I Said So"  -- produced by Todd Rundgren), but KFOG is ignoring it so far. I'm not aware of KFOG playing the new Green Day to any great extent either.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #99 on: June 01, 2009, 03:39:28 PM »
I guess it's safe to say that the return of live 10@10's has spurred some activity!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 01, 2009, 03:41:01 PM »

Brilliant.  TANC indeed.

if they were local, they would have changed that line to ".. the friends of Bridge Carquinez."     :P

Smirk.  Here's the segment:
http://notyou.googlepages.com/05-Traffic.mp3

And oh cool, partial video of the same as part of the larger "Day In The Life Of The Morning Show".  Sniff, made me sad to see Dave at work an hour earlier than the rest working on 10@10.  (And hilarious to see him yell at Greg.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf0I4b9mxbU

Correction:  Traffic report was brought to you by the Martinez Chamber of Commerce.  Slow stuff was down in San Jose.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 02, 2009, 03:06:59 PM »
6/01/09 - Monday!  A New Sound...1995!!!

(49ers Call)
   1.  Foo Fighters - This is a Call
   2.  U2 - Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
(Batman Forever)
   3.  Jill Sobule - I Kissed a Girl
   4.  Folk Implosion - Natural One
(OJ Simpson "Not Guilty")
   5.  Dionne Farris - I Know
   6.  Pearl Jam - Corduoroy
(SNL Cheerleaders)
   7.  Weezer - Buddy Holly
   8.  Deep Blue Something - Breakfast at Tiffany's
(MOVIE:  Usual Suspects)
   9.  James McMurtry - Where'd Ya Hide the Body
  10.  Elastica - Connection

BONUS TRACK:  Annie Lennox - Train in Vain

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 03, 2009, 10:05:24 AM »
This is now among the 5 most talkative KFOG 10@10 threads in the board's history.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”