Author Topic: The Sound (LA), 4/3/09 - 1971, not '79  (Read 7987 times)

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: The Sound (LA), 4/3/09 - 1971, not '79
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2009, 10:48:58 AM »
Answer to the follow up Love Story trivia:  Not only did Tommy Lee Jones (whose film debut was as Ryan O'Neils roommate) actually go to Harvard where his real roommate was Al Gore.  Just like in the movie they lived in a 'quad', and another of the roommates was none other than author Erich Segal.  When he wrote the book (which was a HUGE best-seller before being made into a film) he based O'Neill's Oliver character loosely on Gore (remember, his father was a Senator & very wealthy) and Tommy Lee's character was loosely based on...Tommy Lee!

Furthermore Erich Segal went on to become a professor of literature at Harvard.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2009, 10:52:22 AM »
Answer to the follow up Love Story trivia:  Not only did Tommy Lee Jones (whose film debut was as Ryan O'Neils roommate) actually go to Harvard where his real roommate was Al Gore.  Just like in the movie they lived in a 'quad', and another of the roommates was none other than author Erich Segal.  When he wrote the book (which was a HUGE best-seller before being made into a film) he based O'Neill's Oliver character loosely on Gore (remember, his father was a Senator & very wealthy) and Tommy Lee's character was loosely based on...Tommy Lee!

good guess on my part, then ;)
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2009, 10:52:37 AM »

When I was in 6th or 7th grade (70-71), there was a tattered copy of Love Story that got passed surreptitiously from kid to kid in our class. Made our 11-year-old hearts go pitter-pat. Or something like that.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2009, 10:56:43 AM »

When I was in 6th or 7th grade (70-71), there was a tattered copy of Love Story that got passed surreptitiously from kid to kid in our class. Made our 11-year-old hearts go pitter-pat. Or something like that.

Really? Then you were the Wimpiest. 11-year-old-boys. EVAH.  It was *THE* book to ridicule when I was 15.

anyway... nice set despite the Mungo Jerrymandering.

Long Distance Runaround by Yes 
Too Many People by Paul Mccartney 
American Pie by Don Mclean 
Mercy Mercy Me by Marvin Gaye 
Changes by David Bowie 
Dead Flowers by Rolling Stones
That's The Way I've Always Heard It Should Be by Carly Simon
Never Been To Spain by Three Dog Night 
In The Summertime by Mungo Jerry  (WRONG YEAR!)
Love Her Madly by Doors

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2009, 11:00:12 AM »

I've been listening to the Love Story theme way too much in recent weeks.  "How long does it last?  Can love be measured by the hours in a day?  I have no answers now, but this much I can say: I know I'll need her till the stars burn away.  And she'll be there ..."
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2009, 11:04:57 AM »

I've been listening to the Love Story theme way too much in recent weeks.  "How long does it last?  Can love be measured by the hours in a day?  I have no answers now, but this much I can say: I know I'll need her till the stars burn away.  And she'll be there ..."

yer scarin' me, bub. Sorry I ever said nice things about Andy Williams.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2009, 11:09:26 AM »

Really? Then you were the Wimpiest. 11-year-old-boys. EVAH.  It was *THE* book to ridicule when I was 15.

Nah, we were just more in touch with our feminine sides.
Let's get right to it.

yessongs

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2009, 03:38:06 PM »
BOS Yes, Long Distance Run Around.  Woo Hoo!!!

Rich, were are ya?

Hi Mark.  Hey, I finally figured out what you meant on the KFOG 10@10 thread today, about giving me a shout.

I hadn't ever checked out this 'alternate universe' 10@10 thread (or online stream) before.  Definitely 1971 beat 1992 (or whatever year it was on KFOG) today.  Yes!!
Now I'm eight bits...