Author Topic: RIP, Natasha Richardson, 45  (Read 5912 times)

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: RIP, Natasha Richardson, 45
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2009, 12:55:34 PM »

So, out of curiosity, which side of the fence do you stand on concerning helmets for skiing?

Well, I'm not a skier, but I'm pretty sure I'd make my kids wear one, just like when they ride bikes.  As far as public policy goes, I don't have an answer without major research.  I doubt enough people are winding up in long-term ICU with skiing-related head injuries for it to warrant being treated as a public health issue.  I have no idea where the threshhold in actuarial statistics would lie before something does warrant that treatment. 
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2009, 02:38:59 PM »

So, out of curiosity, which side of the fence do you stand on concerning helmets for skiing?

Well, I'm not a skier, but I'm pretty sure I'd make my kids wear one, just like when they ride bikes.  As far as public policy goes, I don't have an answer without major research.  I doubt enough people are winding up in long-term ICU with skiing-related head injuries for it to warrant being treated as a public health issue.  I have no idea where the threshhold in actuarial statistics would lie before something does warrant that treatment. 
sports team often don't allow their players to engage in dangerous extracurricular stuff (remember Jeff Kent and his motorcycle accident and the brouhaha it caused w the hated Dodgers -- or was it the Giants?). perhaps it will get to the point where your insurer will refuse coverage if you -- say, some software engineer -- engage in similar activities.  perhaps it's at that point already w some policies.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2009, 02:49:34 PM »

sports team often don't allow their players to engage in dangerous extracurricular stuff (remember Jeff Kent and his motorcycle accident and the brouhaha it caused w the hated Dodgers -- or was it the Giants?)

yes, he was still a Giant at that time. Not to mention Ben Roethlisberger's more serious motorcycle mishap.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2009, 07:28:31 PM »

sports team often don't allow their players to engage in dangerous extracurricular stuff (remember Jeff Kent and his motorcycle accident and the brouhaha it caused w the hated Dodgers -- or was it the Giants?). perhaps it will get to the point where your insurer will refuse coverage if you -- say, some software engineer -- engage in similar activities.  perhaps it's at that point already w some policies.

I think skiing is out of contract for most pro atheletes.  While concussion deaths are fairly rare (I would guess), knee injuries are very common.  So it wouldn't be something you'd want your star quarterback doing.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2009, 09:16:29 AM »
TANC:  The cable channel Versus just started running an add that begins by saying how so many sports require the players to wear a helmet, and they show this guy with all these different helmets on.  Then the voice over says, "This is Mike White's helmet."  And the guy puts on a Cowboy hat.  And then the cut to a bull riding clip.

Cowboys are dumb.

and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing