Author Topic: RIP, Natasha Richardson, 45  (Read 5913 times)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: RIP, Natasha Richardson, 45
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 07:57:33 PM »
very very sad :'( :'( :'(
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 08:26:11 PM »
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/03/18/entertainment/e170153D04.DTL&tsp=1
I heard a little chat on KFOG about whether people should wear helmets whilst skiing, and some predictable responses along the lines of "where will the nanny society stop?"

Clearly I think it's a good idea, but people won't take to it I think.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 08:45:41 PM »
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/03/18/entertainment/e170153D04.DTL&tsp=1
I heard a little chat on KFOG about whether people should wear helmets whilst skiing, and some predictable responses along the lines of "where will the nanny society stop?"

Sonny Bono died essentially the same way--ran into a tree while skiing.
Let's get right to it.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 08:55:33 PM »

I think Sonny died of internal injuries, hitting the tree at great speed, but Natasha had a brain injury that could have been produced at relatively low speed.  Although no details have been released about her accident, I think she fell and struck her head on the ground.  A helmet might've protected her.  so sad. 

I ride a bike a lot, and always wear helmet.  It won't protect me if I get creamed by a bus, but I've seen people fall at low speeds and smack their heads on the pavement.   I am my own personal nanny nation when it comes to riding my bike.
~CPL593H~

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 09:37:32 PM »
I am my own personal nanny nation.

A great motto for my idealized commune/community.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 09:43:51 AM »

As long as nobody tries to legislate protective headgear for skiing, I have no issue.  It should be a personal decision.  I think a helmet would diminish the experience more than it is worth (unless, of course, I fall on my head and die).  I'm willing to take a few, measured risks in recreational activities.  I don't where a helmet playing golf either, but an errant shot into me noggin could kill too.

Did Peter have any statistics on how many people actually die (or suffer serious head injuries) every year because they don't wear helmets?  I doubt it's a very high number, especially if represented in percentages.  I try not to base too many of my decisions on safety equipment on a few dead celebrities.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 09:55:19 AM by Rod »
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 09:53:37 AM »

I think Sonny died of internal injuries, hitting the tree at great speed, but Natasha had a brain injury that could have been produced at relatively low speed.  Although no details have been released about her accident, I think she fell and struck her head on the ground.  A helmet might've protected her.  so sad. 

I ride a bike a lot, and always wear helmet.  It won't protect me if I get creamed by a bus, but I've seen people fall at low speeds and smack their heads on the pavement.   I am my own personal nanny nation when it comes to riding my bike.

Bikes are different.  Cement instead of snow.  Large vehicles.  Traffic.  And it's not as much fun in the first place.  A helmet doesn't diminish the experience as much as it would in skiing.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 09:54:39 AM »
Oh, and BTW, very sad story.  RIP.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 09:57:16 AM »

As long as nobody tries to legislate protective headgear for skiing, I have no issue.  It should be a personal decision.  I think a helmet would diminish the experience more than it is worth (unless, of course, I fall on my head and die).  I'm willing to take a few, measured risks in recreational activities.  I don't where a helmet playing golf either, but an errant into me noggin could kill too.

Did Peter have any statistics on how many people actually die (or suffer serious head injuries) every year because they don't wear helmets?  I doubt it's a very high number, especially if represented in percentages.  I try not to base too many of my decisions on safety equipment on a few dead celebrities.

Pretty much the same argument applies to motorcycle helmets, but that got pushed thru the legislature. (Admittedly, motorcycle accidents probably result in a larger percentage of head injuries than skiing incidents, but again, it should be a personal choice issue.)
Let's get right to it.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 10:00:51 AM »

As long as nobody tries to legislate protective headgear for skiing, I have no issue.  It should be a personal decision.  I think a helmet would diminish the experience more than it is worth (unless, of course, I fall on my head and die).  I'm willing to take a few, measured risks in recreational activities.  I don't where a helmet playing golf either, but an errant into me noggin could kill too.

Pretty much the same argument applies to motorcycle helmets, but that got pushed thru the legislature. (Admittedly, motorcycle accidents probably result in a larger percentage of head injuries than skiing incidents, but again, it should be a personal choice issue.)

Yeah.  I don't ride motorcycles, but would wear a helmet if I did.  And a protective bubble all around my body.  Basically, my idea of a safe motorcycle is actually a small car.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 10:11:29 AM »

the problem is someone's personal choice may cost me money, b/c my insurance rates may rise if some motorcyclist needs medical help.  Since the state licenses motorcycles, they feel they can jump in and legislate helmet use. 
~CPL593H~

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 10:16:47 AM »

When you fail to wear a motorcycle helmet & wind up in anything other than a fully private hospital with 100% insurance coverage, you are placing a burden on the public health system that could easily be avoided.  Having high risk sex with a condom undoubtedly 'diminishes the experience' also, and one could probably engage in unprotected high risk sex many times without fatal consequences.  But obviously no one will publicly advocate forsaking a simple protective measure when the health risks are so high.

I used to have the 'personal choice' opinion until a lengthy discussion of this topic several years ago with my brother & sister-in-law in KC. They are both ER doctors who  live on the Kansas side of town - Joel works in KS & Lisa works in MO.  During those years Missouri had a helmet law and Kansas didn't.  Long story short, the evidence in favor of helmet laws is overwhelming.  That's why Lisa called them donorcycles.  Eventually the KS legislature also pushed through a helmet law & Lisa doesn't always call them donorcycles now.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 10:28:00 AM by mshray »
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 11:30:46 AM »

When you fail to wear a motorcycle helmet & wind up in anything other than a fully private hospital with 100% insurance coverage, you are placing a burden on the public health system that could easily be avoided.  Having high risk sex with a condom undoubtedly 'diminishes the experience' also, and one could probably engage in unprotected high risk sex many times without fatal consequences.  But obviously no one will publicly advocate forsaking a simple protective measure when the health risks are so high.

I used to have the 'personal choice' opinion until a lengthy discussion of this topic several years ago with my brother & sister-in-law in KC. They are both ER doctors who  live on the Kansas side of town - Joel works in KS & Lisa works in MO.  During those years Missouri had a helmet law and Kansas didn't.  Long story short, the evidence in favor of helmet laws is overwhelming.  That's why Lisa called them donorcycles.  Eventually the KS legislature also pushed through a helmet law & Lisa doesn't always call them donorcycles now.

So, out of curiosity, which side of the fence do you stand on concerning helmets for skiing?

and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2009, 12:47:46 PM »
So, out of curiosity, which side of the fence do you stand on concerning helmets for skiing?
well, I think bike helmets are well accepted, almost fashionable. It will take some serious fashion pressure to reach the same level of acceptance in skiing I think.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!