Author Topic: RIP: the View-Master 3-D Viewer  (Read 2355 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: RIP: the View-Master 3-D Viewer
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 10:23:11 PM »
a real loss.  My wife's dad had one of those cameras he took family vacation pictures on, and looking at the old family photos is freakily awesome; as close as you can get to time traveling.  It's too bad.  While I can see why film cameras, Polaroids, etc. are all becoming somewhat obsolete, I don't see how this experience can be replaced, unless someone makes a digital viewer.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 10:30:23 PM »
a real loss.  My wife's dad had one of those cameras he took family vacation pictures on, and looking at the old family photos is freakily awesome; as close as you can get to time traveling.  It's too bad.  While I can see why film cameras, Polaroids, etc. are all becoming somewhat obsolete, I don't see how this experience can be replaced, unless someone makes a digital viewer.

That reminds me, I heard recently that Polaroid was ceasing production of its SX-70 film. Since it has a shelf life of only a year or so, expect that that format will be dead in a year, if not less. I'd be surprised if another photographic film manufacturer would consider taking it over--it's been just a niche product for years.
Let's get right to it.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 08:35:14 PM »
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/03/04/financial/f040514S05.DTL

I still have my 1960's era view master and a ton of envelopes with slides. I'll get a photo on FB tomorrow maybe.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 09:10:14 PM »
I still have my 1960's era view master and a ton of envelopes with slides. I'll get a photo on FB tomorrow maybe.

Wow  -- I had one that I got for Xmas circa 1960 or so, with a bunch of slides for (mostly) fairy tales and kid stuff.  One of the many casualties of my move West.

Anyone remember the Give-a-Show Projector?  (Made by Kenner, iirc) A lens-and-light-bulb gizmo that came with cartoon filmstrips. I had that too, around the same time.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round